Lockhart River Qld. Plane crash. 11th March 2020.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No airport camera at Lockhart, any recordinds would have been of assistance to the circumstances / possible contributing factors eg vis conditions. Very sad for those, thier families, the business, community its and others. RIP.

I fail to understand why simple causes are again behind another major aviation crash. Why would you keep attempting to land after seeing such a deterioration in weather conditions, and after two previously failed attempts at landing?

What was so crucial to landing that it couldn't have been aborted, and the entire trip declared a mission write-off, and simply return to their departure point?

There's very little that cannot be re-arranged to another day. The only exception would be a landing on a solitary island in the middle of a large ocean.

• Like 3
  • Agree 5

Guest Machtuk

I fail to understand why simple causes are again behind another major aviation crash. Why would you keep attempting to land after seeing such a deterioration in weather conditions, and after two previously failed attempts at landing?

What was so crucial to landing that it couldn't have been aborted, and the entire trip declared a mission write-off, and simply return to their departure point?

There's very little that cannot be re-arranged to another day. The only exception would be a landing on a solitary island in the middle of a large ocean.

Why? COMMERCIAL pressure! It's very real in the charter business.

As usual the grubby media showing their inability to port ary facts with those photos!

spot on....weipa due west 100miles, cooktown due south 100miles. A totally, totally avoidable tragic accident. ( 2 aborted attempts, 3rd the end )..crazy

• Like 1

The TV keeps showing video of a Piper Navajo which was previously assigned the same registration as the Cessna 404 involved, VH-OZO. An internet search of VH-OZO only returns the Piper, There does not seem to be any photos of that 404.

Guest Machtuk

Plenty of pix showing OZO as a Titan on the Net. It ain't rocket science for the grubby media to check CASA's rego directory!

I would guess that it is another case of poor piloting. we all know the weather there can be bad at this time of year, we also know that passengers nowadays think flying is safe. Pilots must make the correct decisions. Of course I could be wrong and it could be some other reason for the crash.

Guest Machtuk

Google search "Cessna Titan VH-OZO" yields about 4 photos of the Titan, all added within the last 24 hours.

Yeah but the idiots (grubby media) aren't bright enough to know rego's change constantly hence the fools should check the register!

Very sad outcome that most likely could have been avoided by the sounds of it.

Atrocious weather, 2 failed attempts but only the pilot knows why he was persisting.

Was he too low on fuel for an alternate? who knows, pressures by the pax to get there I doubt it, case of get there itis and complete mission, once again who knows.

But it did have the human input and the tragic outcome.

Condolences to all the families and friend of those lost.

• Like 1

One TV report said he collided with a sand dune. May have been trying to make an emergency landing on that large beach and didn't see the dune till it was too late.

Guest Machtuk

I only hope that they can find the root cause to this accident, so many get labeled 'unknown' or probable or most likely. By all accounts the wind was calm, low overcast, less than 1 degree between the wet and dry bulb, 99% humidity, strictly risky flying visually.

I only hope that they can find the root cause to this accident, so many get labeled 'unknown' or probable or most likely.

"Human Factors related" seems to be the new "Pilot Error". It's supposed to find out why crews make the decisions they do rather than tell us they made a bad decision, then use a different term to describe it. The concept has great potential but like most ideas in this country, it gets implemented so poorly, it's useless.

Guest Machtuk

Every crash has a 'human factor' about it, afterall its humans that drive these machines. As I mentioned above commercial pressure is a very real threat, that's one major factor in most of these types of events although rarely proved. The Kobi heli crash for instance I believe would have been primarily due pressure to get there, again can't be proven. The Titan is a great plane, very capable even on one donk although the 'gitzo' engines did take some careful handling.

Onetrack

agree totally 2 missed approaches go to your alternate

There appears to be no fire.

Yes. One reason why we shouldn’t speculate to much before the prelim comes out.

The prangs happened and will still be able to be discussed in a few months when we have a better background via an accident report.

There appears to be no fire.

As an accident investigator said to me one day when we were taking about an accident he was working on “Mate let’s put it this way there was no fire. In a crash like this there is normally some sort of fire.. why do you think that was? Probably because there was none of the stuff that normally catches fire left in the aircraft”......

• Agree 1
  • Helpful 1

Guest Machtuk

I'd be very surprised if the Titan ran out if gas, they have a huge endurance especially with the cabin only half full! They could kept aloft for 10 hrs if need be. That typical mission you could easily take return gas. Such a tragedy, hindsight is such a wonderful thing! RIP?

As an accident investigator said to me one day when we were taking about an accident he was working on “Mate let’s put it this way there was no fire. In a crash like this there is normally some sort of fire.. why do you think that was? Probably because there was none of the stuff that normally catches fire left in the aircraft”......

Not always so !

I was first on the scene at a five fatality single engine aircraft crash due to pilot disorientation.

Plenty of fuel onboard, when I got there in under a minute all I could smell was avgas. (I was waiting for it to go bang like in the movies)

If you hit hard enough I think it extinguishes itself.

Maybe if your on final and slow it might be a different outcome.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1