Looking for a Quiz Master

Admin

Hi, the site is desperately looking for an aviation learned person to act as or Quiz Master. All you need to do is come up with quizzes of about 10 or so questions each and send them to me. They need to be multiple choice questions with at least one correct answer and an approx time it should take a person to complete.

For example:

Questions and Answers

• 1. Select from the following choices the answer that is NOT one of the four forces acting on an aircraft in flight.

A. Thrust
  • B. Speed
  • C. Drag
  • D.Lift

[*]2. If you are flying into a direct headwind of 28 knots, at a true airspeed of 156 knots, what is your ground speed?

•  
    A. 156 knots, as your groundspeed is not affected by wind
  • B. 184 knots, as wind and true airspeed is additive
  • C. 128 knots, because TAS minus headwind component = GS
  • D. Cannot determine from the data given

[*]3. You're taking off in a tailwheel aircraft with a non-Polish engine.  As you begin your takeoff roll, you use no rudder displacement.  On which side of the runway will you most likely depart the prepared surface prior to getting airborne?

•  
    A. Left
  • B. Right
  • C. Neither, as the aircraft will track straight with use of ailerons only
  • D. Unable to determine the answer without knowing the wind direction

[*]4. As a general rule, as ambient temperature increases, aircraft performance increases.

•  
    A. True
  • B. False

[*]5. Hydroplaning is when the aircraft tires lose traction with the runway surface due to rain or standing water during takeoff or landing.  Which of the following formulae can be used to determine the speed at which hydroplaning will occur?

•  
    A. .6 times the stall speed with takeoff flaps
  • B. 9 times the square root of the tire pressure
  • C. Aircraft weight divided by the square root of the tire footprint in sqare inches
  • D. Cannot be determined, as hydroplaning speed varies with the tread pattern just like in your car

[*]6. There are OLD pilots and there are BOLD pilots, but there are few OLD,  BOLD pilots!

•  
    A. True
  • B. False

[*]7. Name the two factors which affect Density Altitude.

•  
    A. Pressure altitude and gross weight
  • B. Gross weight and temperature
  • C. Engine power and flap setting
  • D. Temperature and pressure altitude

[*]8. Your friend flies his single engine plane into Beloit Airport for the Spring Fling Pancake Breakfast and Auto Show.  After he shuts down in the parking area, he tosses you a rag and asks your help in cleaning bugs off the plane.  The leading edges of the wings are covered with bug splats, but there are no bugs at all on the front of the propeller.  Why not?

•  
    A. Bugs can "see" the propeller and will avoid it at any cost.
  • B. The propeller "blows" them out of the way so they impact the wings instead
  • C. Tractor propellers are pitched such that the first surface that contacts the air (and bugs) as the plane moves forward is the back side of the propeller blades
  • D. The propeller power pulses project a vibration ahead of the plane that bugs don't like and naturally avoid
  • E. None of the above

[*]9. What is the minimum number of hours prior to flying that a pilot may consume alcohol?

•  
    A. Half an hour
  • B. 4 hours for beer or wine; 8 hours for hard liquor
  • C. 8 hours from "bottle to throttle"
  • D. 24 hours

[*]10. Pilots who fly tricycle gear airplanes are sissies.

•  
    A. True
  • B. False

PLEASE, if you feel you would like to contribute to the learning of pilots and just create some fun quizzes by being the Quiz Master then URGENTLY let me know...thanks for any help you can give

Not sure about question 3. Non-Polish engines? British de Havilland Gypsy engines to mention but one rotate in the opposite direction to Continental and Lycomings. Could further elaborate such as Pratt and Whitney fans turning the opposite direction to (most!) Rolls-Royce fans. No particular reason other than convention that I know of.

The quiz in the first post is an example of what needs to be created for a quiz...it isn't an actual quiz or at least it isn't at the moment

In reference to your question, try a google search on non-Polished engine

The quiz in the first post is an example of what needs to be created for a quiz...it isn't an actual quiz or at least it isn't at the moment

I realised that! I just think the conventions are interesting, even up to the latest RR Trent & P&W big fans.

This site is where I go for technical queries, and I have never been disappointed in the response.

Sometimes I have had my pride damaged a bit, but this has always been well deserved on reflection.

A decent problem will generate enough discussion to warrant a thread, take for example the Jabiru temperatures one.