Looking for rod ends and (matching) nut plates

Hi,

I've just about exhausted my ability to track down local suppliers of either rod end bearings (metric or imperial doesn't matter) and matching size/thread nut plates. I only need two of them, but can't seem to find a local supplier. I'm aiming for 8mm rod ends.

Anyone know where I can get these?

Regards,

Duncan

I'm sorry, but I'm at a loss to envision what you describe as "nut plates"? All the rod ends I have ever used or dealt with, are retained by various forms of simple locknuts, either nyloc or castellated nuts.

I have always found my local industrial bearing supply houses to be able to provide all my rod end requirements - but a racing/autosports supplier may also be able to supply what you need.

Hi,I've just about exhausted my ability to track down local suppliers of either rod end bearings (metric or imperial doesn't matter) and matching size/thread nut plates. I only need two of them, but can't seem to find a local supplier. I'm aiming for 8mm rod ends.

Regards,

Duncan

Try ASAP parts at Learjet drive Caboolure or Dent Aviation. Both excellent in past. Or from aircraft spruce with with postage via Austpost receiving address in usa.

• Agree 1

I love it...

A nut plate is a small plate to which a threaded "nut" is attached. This is fixed (via two screws or small bolts) to the rear (or internal) side of a surface that allows a bolt to be inserted through the front face and screwed into the nut plate bolt.

MS21047.JPG

• Informative 1

Hi,I've just about exhausted my ability to track down local suppliers of either rod end bearings (metric or imperial doesn't matter) and matching size/thread nut plates. I only need two of them, but can't seem to find a local supplier. I'm aiming for 8mm rod ends.

Regards,

Duncan

I may have some, I will try and check tonight for you.

Kiwi

RTFM,

Please advise the following details of the nutplates you require:

a. Thread size of the "nut".

b. Spacing (Centre to Centre) of the holes through which the nutplate fasteners go.

c. Do you require the nutplates to be steel or Corrosion Resistant (Cres)?

In relation to the rod ends:

a. Male or female

b. Bore of the hole in the bearing

c. Head diameter

d. Length from centre of bore to end of threads

e. Thread - diameter and pithc

f. Left or right hand threads.

g. Race - ball, brass, chrome steel or stainless

h. Ball - Chrome steel or Stainless.

With this information we can work out the Heim Part number so that you can order the correct ones.

• Like 1

a. Male or female

I believe he's Male.

c. Head diameter

He's not looking for a hat.

d. Length of bore to end of thread

I guess about 20 posts.

g. Race - ball, brass, chrome steel or stainless

Caucasian I believe, getting a bit personal otherwise?

I think we all know what nut plates and rod ends are, but are having trouble thinking of how you are going to use them together.

My guess is it's for wing main spar strut attachments for pivoting main wing on a Flying Flea. The nut plates are blind, allow a lock nut to be used, and the 2 rivets (whatever) fixing it offer security.

• Haha 1
  • Informative 1

I love it...A nut plate is a small plate to which a threaded "nut" is attached. This is fixed (via two screws or small bolts) to the rear (or internal) side of a surface that allows a bolt to be inserted through the front face and screwed into the nut plate bolt.

MS21047.JPG

I have an abundance od small dia (6-32, 8-32, & I think, 10-32) nut plates but all located up at the hangar so I can only confirm specs after the w/end. Depending on quantity required, they'd be available for cost of postage. cheers

• Like 1

5/16 nutplates (anchor nuts) should be really easy to find at any aviation workshop

MS21059L5 for floating, or K1000-5 , like the one you have pictured.

. Rod ends from CBC or most bearing suppliers. 5/15 unf of for aviation suppliers 5/16-24.

Toowoomba Bearings and Hydraulics keep a whole rack of them on the shelf.

There are metric ones (anchor nuts) out there but pretty much only used by Airbus and are a pain to get.

I have an abundance od small dia (6-32, 8-32, & I think, 10-32) nut plates but all located up at the hangar so I can only confirm specs after the w/end. Depending on quantity required, they'd be available for cost of postage. cheers

Just re-read your original post and woke up to the fact that you specified 8mm and have to confess that my dinky little nut plates are too small to fill the gap (but so far the wife hasn't noticed).

• Haha 1

Hi guys,

As usual, your replies have been very helpful. Thank you.

I plan to use them as hinges for my rudder. David Melby posted details of his setup, and I'm wanting to copy his arrangement.

This is the part fixed to the tailstock. The rod-end bearing attaches to the rudder (fastened with a nut plate) and fits between the two angles. I plan to use two of these. Here's what he says about it:

"My new rudder hinge. The half of the hinge attached to the tail post is made from 1/8" alum angle, and the other half that is attached to the rudder spar is a rod end bearing. I am using one with a 5/16" dia. shaft, and a 1/4" dia hole. The rod end has a swivelling bearing, which makes a great hinge. The rudder moves without any friction at all.

Since the nuts holding the hinges will be hidden, I used self-aligning nut plates. the top hinge has 2 3/16" bolts and the bottom hinge has four. I used #2 stainless screws to hold the nut plates in place."

The sizes he mentions aren't set in stone, I think. So, as long as the rod end and nut plate threads match, and the thread is long enough to go through the 15mm thick spar of the rudder and screw completely into the thread of the nut plate, I'll be fine. My initial request for 8mm rod ends was based more on the length of the threaded section than anything else.

Sorry for not providing the full details to begin with.

Regards,

Duncan

• Informative 1

That is possibly the heaviest hinge to use, and bad design to boot, there is no omniversal motion in the tail assembly. Have a look at what Mignet used. You only need brackets similar to what you have made for the tail post and a couple of AN3 bolts with bushes and castillated nuts.

The 8 mm rod ends need 8 mm bolts, rather an overkill.

The 8mm or 5/16 rod end I imagine may be for stiffness in bending, on the bright side it is self centring and could easily be sleeved down to 3/16 in the ball.

That is possibly the heaviest hinge to use, and bad design to boot, there is no omniversal motion in the tail assembly. Have a look at what Mignet used. You only need brackets similar to what you have made for the tail post and a couple of AN3 bolts with bushes and castillated nuts.The 8 mm rod ends need 8 mm bolts, rather an overkill.

I have seen rod ends used on control surfaces before on a Bushcaddy, seems to work fine but I do agree 5/16 been over kill.

2015484052_FP14112010A000UH(1).jpg.58a7fcc698387062a06fa8793f9aaf0a.jpg

FP14112010A000UB.jpg.128ddde7bd3081697818d8972dfd4681.jpg

• Informative 1