Love my Jabiru

shajen

I have a theory that fiberglass planes are much stronger than metal ones. This is because fiberglass is of variable strength, so the authorities assume the lowest possible strength. In reality, this makes a fiberglass plane overstrength. As a result of this and the inherent toughness of fiberglass, I have never heard of a Jabiru failing in the air and the odd cases of them going upside down after "landing" have generally resulted in the pilot crawling out.

Before buying my kit, I found that a Jabiru had been turned upside down on a Qld beach after landing in soft sand. The factory blokes came, emptied the sand out, checked it over and flew it home.

Toughness is a real engineering term, with numbers and all.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

The jab airframe has to be one of the toughest around. About 5 years ago a 230 took off from our airfield & for some reason did not gain height flying almost fully stalled for 3/4 of a circuit & went it at full power. The engine, cowl firewall, windscreen & panel ended up underneath the airframe & the 2 occupants were left strapped in looking at a herd of cows. They walked away with only a few scratches.20161014_120122.thumb.jpg.b3f1c0f3b00912abd5ffa8943abf120d.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Gosh kg, what an awful thing... were there published details about the cause? it sounds like a defectively built carby control cable.

Do you think the pilot handled it well?

Thanks for the picture., it is just amazing.

It certainly was reported to RAA. The Police, Firies & Ambos were there when I arrived. I gave the Police RAA & CASA phone numbers to call. 3 of us including the local L2 went back a couple of days later & put it on a trailer. It was sent back to Jabiru. I never heard any definitive answer relating to the cause. There was a trail of debris including bits of prop, cowling etc & it ended up spinning around almost 180 degrees to face they way it had come in. The main undercarriage was still fully intact & once the wings were off & the engine etc removed we wheeled it on to the trailer. As you can see it was not weather related.

20161012_144911.thumb.jpg.178cd360d2cf46444c24fb15e87e5206.jpg20161012_145114.thumb.jpg.5fdb22609318053e4f00cfd8df25d31f.jpg

• Like 1

It certainly was reported to RAA. The Police, Firies & Ambos were there when I arrived. I gave the Police RAA & CASA phone numbers to call. 3 of us including the local L2 went back a couple of days later & put it on a trailer. It was sent back to Jabiru. I never heard any definitive answer relating to the cause. There was a trail of debris including bits of prop, cowling etc & it ended up spinning around almost 180 degrees to face they way it had come in. The main undercarriage was still fully intact & once the wings were off & the engine etc removed we wheeled it on to the trailer. As you can see it was not weather related.

[ATTACH alt=20161012_144911.jpg]53972[/ATTACH][ATTACH alt=20161012_145114.jpg]53971[/ATTACH]

Only a guess.... but it sounds like a C of G related problem...

The aircraft was en route & landed for a comfort break. I was in my hangar at the time & did not see it land or take off. I got a call to say it had crashed. There were various theories but nothing was ever proven or even followed up as I understand it.

I thought I saw it at Jabiru 18 months ago. Though I didn't recognise it from the forum, they said it was a major rebuild but was still straight forward as glass is good!

Ken

• Like 1

The aircraft was en route & landed for a comfort break. I was in my hangar at the time & did not see it land or take off. I got a call to say it had crashed. There were various theories but nothing was ever proven or even followed up as I understand it.

That is a worry! Nothing to learn from, then...