Low wing aircraft and bubble canopy's?

I know this has probably been on the site before. Has anyone come up with a brilliant idea of flying a low wing canopy aircraft. Then say a nose wheel collapse and it flips over on its back in the back blocks.

Any idea or system on how to get out of the aircraft let's say in a remote area where no one is coming to your rescue.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A roll over support to stop it all collapsing on you and a hammer or tomohawk, to bash your way out if needed.

Why does the nosewheel collapse? It can happen with a tailwheel.

• Like 1

An extendable strut behind your head operated by CO2 things you carbonate drinks with. Nev

WooHoo! lets add more weight and explosive devices!!

My 2c

If it is from a factory as a complete aircraft decide if you like what you have in terms of airframe structures before you buy it - you can't easily change it - add a light weight crash axe to your cabin pocket and live with the idea you're hacking your way through a canopy or fuselage to get out.

If its a kit or self design you can change it ... decide what sort of steel structure you want to have stickin up in the rear/under the canopy and then build/fit. And I'd still add a crash axe to the cockpit just for added help.

Best help you can have is the mandatory epirb - hit it and sticck it through the aircraft to get a better view of the sky to it - and hope the resuers come before you are cut to pieces on sharp bits of airframe you have been hacking through with an axe :smile:

• Like 1

Wear a helmet to reduce the chances of head injury.

Make sure at least part of the canopy is breakable; Perspex is, lexan isn't.

Incorporate a substantial rollover bar/loop to keep the planet off your head.

Keep your beacon handy, preferably wear it, so you can call for help.

Being tightly strapped in should help to stop you from hitting your head on the canopy or panel, but even with an effective roll bar and a canopy breaker of some sort it won't be easy to get out without help.

There"s nothing explosive about a CO2 sparkler and it could be plastic and rubber cushion. weighing bugger all. acting over a fair area. This concern stops me owning a low wing. A rabbit hole will break most nosewheels once there's weight on it. and if you invert ,the fin/rudder will probably not take the load so you may have little room to move at all. Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I searched & found 3 threads but none had many solutions and great ideas. Can you post the link?

It was around 5 years ago and went on for months and included various design configurations.

Build an escape trapdoor into the floor?

Yeah thru the main spar!?

Not possible. You are inverted in a now semi crushed cabin, a small space and with a high probability of being injured badly.

I've drawn a line from the spinner back to the top of the fin/rudder or the roll over bar within the cabin of my planes and it's not pretty! I accept that it's a risk to fly such machines.

Edited by Flightrite
  • Like 3
  • Informative 1

You can't even assume the top of the rudder remains as a definer of anything. IF you stuff a x wind landing in a tri gear and wheelbarrow it you stand a good chance of ending up inverted. A tail wheel low wing is a better proposition if you can handle it properly. but still the low wing limit's wing down and x wind capability. Nev

• Like 1

You can't even assume the top of the rudder remains as a definer of anything. IF you stuff a x wind landing in a tri gear and wheelbarrow it you stand a good chance of ending up inverted. A tail wheel low wing is a better proposition if you can handle it properly. but still the low wing limit's wing down and x wind capability. Nev

Oh that's true 'Facthunter' the fin/rudder could be destroyed but if that where the case then having any form of escape device to be used unassisted is pretty much academic as you would be U/S like the plane!

The fin's pretty weak on a lot of this stuff and the inversion is pretty abrupt usually with the rear hitting the ground quite fast whereas you are not, being pretty much at the centre of the action near where it's pivoting from, (usually about the front cockpit bulkhead) Nev.

• Like 1

A bulkhead roll bar, stiff fin post and acrylic bubble are IMHO the best options along with 4 or 5 point harness. I have a 40 x 40 x 4mm angle bulkhead roll bar, a steel tapered U section fin post, 4 point harness and an acrylic bubble which will break easily. Nothing is perfect so it is one of the decisions you must make if you have concerns about building/flying low wing aircraft. The biggest issue is disorientation when you end upside down & how long you take to work out where everything is so you can get out before anything else happens like fuel igniting.

• Agree 1

My avatar shows the rollcage at either end of the canopy bubble.

Hopefully strong enough to save a squashed Meee. LoL

The bubble is much stronger than the front screen who,s strength is due to the folding, clamped not bolted.

spacesailor

The RV4 has a roll bar directly behind the pilot and in a roll over the canopy would probably be broken as there is about 75mm between the closed canopy and the top of the bar. It is a frightening thought as to what could happen. I had brakes lock up on landing and all was well until down to walking speed, when the downforce on the horiz. stab. was too little to hold the tail down. I ended up going to just about vertical and luckily dropped back onto the tailwheel. Not a happy moment, but it lasted too short a time for me to think of opening the canopy.

• Like 1