That thing looks like a crash waiting to happen. It's bad enough that the tail is so close to the ground, but the prop is even closer.

A bit of a gust on landing, creating a nose-up attitude, and it'd be all over, red rover.

I think I'll have to refrase my question.

I don't require any information off the internet as I have all of it; and some. 

What I should have said:

"Anyone building, or know of someone building a Taylor MINI IMP here in Australia.

I'd like to know more about the building process."

• Informative 1

Guys, look closely at the drawing. There's a skid below the tail plane which will prevent prop strike. If you get to that point, you're going to be very near stall anyway so stay away from it. The plane is as safe as the pilot wants it to be.

• Informative 1

Anyone in AU's?

I don't think so. They are a rare build. 

I think they used his own Taylor impregnated paper with resin instead of normal skins.

Good luck

yes and no.  TPG as a concept was Molts development.  It was used in part of the Imp (two seater) but very minimally in the MIni-Imp (single seater) which is basically a stressed skin aluminimum sheet airframe.

Did they perform as well as they look ?? (V hot!)

from an ageing memory ........    IIR.... there were major problems with the drive shaft /coupling system .

I'd skip all that and try ducted fan direct on engine shaft.  Such drive as is used there are common on helicopter tail rotors but all that has to be done right. The prop is running in "disturbed air" as well.. Engine in the centre (just behind) is a good idea. Keep the bulk of the mass in the middle. Less pitch inertia. Nev

Here's some info.

The reason there are not a lot of these around is the build time; 4,000 hours. A lot of builders started then gave up.

[ATTACH]43181[/ATTACH]

I always take a manufacturers figures with a large dose of good humoured salt but even with this level of scepticism, its a very handy performer - a two seater would be more practical.

I'd skip all that and try ducted fan direct on engine shaft.  Such drive as is used there are common on helicopter tail rotors but all that has to be done right. The prop is running in "disturbed air" as well.. Engine in the centre (just behind) is a good idea. Keep the bulk of the mass in the middle. Less pitch inertia. Nev

As usual Nev - all true! BUT all aircraft are a compromise. Once you accept that, you work with what you have to the get the best result.

The Bede 5 had a similar drive system.  I expect that it has been solved in this aircraft.  The long not so stiff drive shaft with a high inertia prop at one end and a pulsating engine on rundown broke the tailshaft.  Solved with a one way sprag clutch.  Look for vibration problems.

I am led to believe that one of the significant issues faced by low down (Rutan designs/derivatives etc) pusher props  of the Imp set up, is debris being dragged through the blades. Australia with its many "dirt" as apposed to nice dense grass/sealed runways is not the ideal environment for light aircraft in this configuration.

• Informative 1

I do have a set of plans for the Mini Imp but I wanted to see what the opinions of other were about this aircraft.

I prefer a 2 seat side by side, eliminate the tail shaft and make it a mid fuselage prop drive (belt drive reduction is all thats needed).

The Mini Imp would have to be scaled up by 10% to suit my ideas and would still keep it nice and compact.

Construction would be composite fuselage with metal wings and tail; engine 80hp 

On paper it looks doable.

• Like 1

I have seen a design of a net that was lowered and was in a position to protect the prop on landing.  If I ever finished the cozy I was going to install one

Hi Geoff  - cant say this sounds very practical. As I understand it the undercarriage on a pusher "flicks' loose material which is then drawn through the prop. The net would need to be the full width of the prop - how would it be "stowed" - deployed - at what time in the landing/taxi cycle and then retracted and how would it be secured against being sucked back into the prop????????

Me thinks you would be best keeping your opps to nice clean "surfaced" airfields.

The prop wash comes from the nose wheel.

From memory the net was just behind the nose wheel and two ropes with poles pulled it up when airborne and lowered it as appropriate.  Cannot remember details, old age has set in, but I will do it to the cozy if I ever finish it, very unlikely.