More 'Backcountry 182' STOL/SOFT ops.

Garfly

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ha, ha, Stude ... hilariously vicariously, I'm afraid (mostly over the glare-shield of old mate 'Backcountry 182')

Been away OS most of this past year, but hoping this might just be the year I finally learn to fly (properly)  ?

While you're here, though, check out this Kiwi chap demonstrating the backcountry chops of the poor-man's C182.

(I'll call to discuss.)

• 3 weeks later...

The hairy old chestnut of "Forward" slips. No such thing, your either side-slipping or your not. I did make a point of watching this all the way through, I find this series pretty hard to watch. He did not mention anywhere in the Vid about "Forward" slips, just side-slips and skidding turns.

His side-slips I agree with, a good way of losing altitude/speed. I do not agree with his skidding turns, sure way to depart from controlled flight. With those places he demonstrated skidding turns he could have turned balanced without risk of tip strike. My advice would be NEVER do a skidding turn, any circumstances.

• 2 weeks later...

I have flown aircraft with and without VG's, never been able to tell a big difference between the 2. The aircraft fitted with VG's did have a VERY slight firming of the controls at slow speeds, couldn't tell a lot of difference with take-off/landing speeds.

Could only be I'm still learning to fly and haven't fully got the grasp of it yet :oh yeah:

I'll admit I did only watch a couple of minutes before I nodded off watching the linked Vid. Was there any conflict of interest or admission of commission/gifts/gratuity/donation/remittance/handout from VG sellers admitted during the video?

I know it's not a requirement with yotubby to have any basis in truth or factual basis, most is taken as truthful.

The bush/stol market in the States has gone mad the last couple of years, the likes of a Super Cubs bringing stupid money.

• 2 weeks later...

Re the videos - That flying on the stall warning buzzer whilst approaching over trees made me hair stand on end. On a properly calibrated installation there should be a ‘margin for error’ in them buzzers, though it ain’t much.

In Oz much of the time there’s a bit of wind blowing and oft times a major wind dumper around trees. On short final more air speed gives yer that ability to do that auto reaction pull back when you hit the big kahooney dump ride that otherwise would have given yer an auto auger dart approach.

Years ago I were standing at short final when a very high time, very highly experienced pilot got dumped on short final. His years of airline flying, right up to boss boy check and trainer time, had not prepared him for flying low and slow around the trees. He did walk away though the aircraft were turned into components.

More speed better - the only time yer should hear the stall warning during approach is at round out.

More speed better - the only time yer should hear the stall warning during approach is at round out.

Depends.........................what do you do if the aircraft doesn't have a stall warning? Safe slow flight can be achieved without reference to an audible warning or an airspeed indicator.

Depends.........................what do you do if the aircraft doesn't have a stall warning? Safe slow flight can be achieved without reference to an audible warning or an airspeed indicator.

Stick position?

Stick position?

For me it's a compilation of a few things, aircraft attitude, noise and feel of controls. Don't really think about control column position but I suppose it might be part of it. The only time I look at airspeed is in something a bit faster and heavier to make sure the aircraft is OK for flap extension.

• Like 1