More CT4B's for sale..

Pickles has another 7 CT4's for sale. Most are pretty long in the tooth. (14000 to 17 000 hours). Does anyone know the traps to owning one of those? (I understand the PC'9s just sold will almost certainly not fly again).

Presumably ex BAE Systems RAAF trainers. One of the instructors bought one and is moving it to our area. They have pretty high time but the one bought & moving to our area is immaculate. It is in the original RAAF yellow & black livery.

I bought one prior to the auction. Yes they are ’high’ hour machines, but most have been through a wing spar/splice plate replacement. They are in reasonable cosmetic nick appropriate for their age noting that they have been ’workhorse’ aircraft. The avionics are fantastic - GTN750, ADSB In/Out, TAWS (TCAS), COM 2, etc. Engine TBO is 1500hrs (was 1650 but that was only for BAE). A persual of the engine logbook shows that the engine made TBO on each occasion and was subsequently overhauled.

Empty weight comes in at around 790kg mark with a MTOW of 1180kg. Slightly heavier (+50kgs ish) than an A model, but no need to dismiss them on that basis. Over the last few hours I have been achieving around the 120-125 KTAS For 45 lph.

My view is that they have been very well maintained and that they have plenty of life left in them for a private operator like myself (30-60 hours a year). They are already VH registered. Some (like mine are 91/92 models acquired from the factory new by BAE - hence one owner. Others are a mix of ex RAAF A models and RNZAF B models.

I am very happy with my purchase. I’ve already been inverted and flying it is a real hoot. Traps in owning one? Probably no more or less than any other GA aircraft. And no, I’m not going to reveal what I paid for it.

• Like 6
  • Helpful 1
  • Winner 1

I bought one prior to the auction. Yes they are ’high’ hour machines, but most have been through a wing spar/splice plate replacement. They are in reasonable cosmetic nick appropriate for their age noting that they have been ’workhorse’ aircraft. The avionics are fantastic - GTN750, ADSB In/Out, TAWS (TCAS), COM 2, etc. Engine TBO is 1500hrs (was 1650 but that was only for BAE). A persual of the engine logbook shows that the engine made TBO on each occasion and was subsequently overhauled.

Empty weight comes in at around 790kg mark with a MTOW of 1180kg. Slightly heavier (+50kgs ish) than an A model, but no need to dismiss them on that basis. Over the last few hours I have been achieving around the 120-125 KTAS For 45 lph.

My view is that they have been very well maintained and that they have plenty of life left in them for a private operator like myself (30-60 hours a year). They are already VH registered. Some (like mine are 91/92 models acquired from the factory new by BAE - hence one owner. Others are a mix of ex RAAF A models and RNZAF B models.

I am very happy with my purchase. I’ve already been inverted and flying it is a real hoot. Traps in owning one? Probably no more or less than any other GA aircraft. And no, I’m not going to reveal what I paid for it.

How about a few pictures please?

Thanks Gazunda for writing that out. Really helpful. Yes not the most efficient machines to go from A to B but i dont suppose that is the point of buying them.

• Like 1

FWIW I have quite a few hours on the B model. They are great to fly, ergonomically they area pilots machine, well fitted out and they aero well. But they have really really been through the wringer, lots and lots and lots of CCT,s love to know how many TO /LDG's they have! They are not very economical at all for a 2 sester but have been well maintained. You would probably struggle to find a GA that has been as well looked after!

• Like 1

Why ? did you pay an embarrassingly high price or so low you feel it will reflect badly on you/aircraft??

Neither. I won’t reveal it because that is between myself and BAE.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1