Morgan Builds under way and completed

magishme

Hi Guys,

Just wondering what builds are currently underway and builds that are completed and flying. Interested to hear where you are and what you've been up to on your builds/flights.

Regards

David

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Sierra 100 is ready for painting but I am currently re-building my hangar so I can get it back in. Had to pretty much knock it down to get the A/C out & have it stored in a friend's hangar at present.

Hi David, I have a Sierra 100 project underway in W.A. The fuselage is well advanced, the tailplane is ready for painting and the next job will be to do the mass balance weight for the tail. The kit is designed for the Jabiru 2200 engine but I am looking longingly at the Belgian D-Motor which is liquid cooled and offers 95HP.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi David,

I'm building a Sierra 100 and have the airframe nearly completed. Garry needs to come down soon and inspect the internals on the wings before it is closed up. The fuel tank is getting an external fabric liner and then the top front deck will go on. I'll order the motor and instrument kit then. Jab 3300 will power it.

R's

Graham

• Helpful 1

Hi David

a mate and I are building a wide body Sierra (same as Gareth's) on the NSW south coast, we are almost finished with only the canopy, painting to go and alterations to

the cowl air intake to suit the UL Power motor (260is 107hp)

Cheers GregP8140078.JPG.7fd7b824acbaea7dafff0ff65777f6e0.JPG

P4050042.JPG.0793cb99525b980951c41efad5e0856d.JPG

P4140051.JPG.ef58faeba3c2921b0f48c7dd2f7c83c7.JPG

P8130063.JPG.d408867cceb9a403d0255ee271fe12e1.JPG

Hi Graham,

Thanks for the reply it is looking great and thanks so much for the photos. How long has it taken so far to get to that stage?

Regards

David

Hi Greg,

I love the engine, it looks great and have not heard any negatives about them at all. When do you expect to give the engine a test run?

Regards

David

I thought I'd share a couple of photos as well. Mine has been 90% complete since about September and I am about half way through the last 90%. The airframe, control surfaces, engine and cooling system are now completed. The last big ticket item is fitting the canopy although the frame is made. Wiring is complete up to the panel and the panel is also finished and painted. All instruments have been pre-fitted & panel wiring done with main, avionics & earth buses fitted. I spent several weeks on engine cooling, creating a metre wide lip on the cowl bottom exit, separate NACA duct and sealed channel to the 7 row positech oil filter & modifying the Jabiru Ram Air ducts with Garry's intakes & getting a good seal around the cowl intakes. There is one last thing to do on the airframe & that is to install the mass balance arms on the ailerons. These will be hidden inside the wing in level flight but protrude when the aileron is up.

I have added a few little cosmetic bits like a curved fillet between the dorsal fin & vertical stabiliser, at the top of the VS & also faired the rudder cable exit points and the nose leg.

IMG661.jpg.c713f900a896161fc13f7b8c461a0c82.jpg

IMG465.jpg.0f96933a743f0a84bf717d3df90089de.jpg

IMG480.jpg.b3d340d9a1135208cf89ca4eafca948f.jpg

IMG592.jpg.90d8b48855e294b90159cd0112b2e05f.jpg

IMG636.jpg.c1d7317df92f4158fbbb3e6387497c0d.jpg

Kgwilson, so close, it is looking nice indeed. What type of front wheels go on these, they look a little different to most nose wheel tyres.

Regards

David

Kgwilson, so close, it is looking nice indeed. What type of front wheels go on these, they look a little different to most nose wheel tyres.Regards

David

To be honest I don't know but it is of pressed steel construction and has good quality bearings. Some people reckon it is like a wheelbarrow tyre. The nosewheel is castoring & that tread pattern may help stop shimmy. Castoring nosewheels can be a bit of a problem in strong crosswinds but I landed & taxied Garry's aircraft in a fairly decent crosswind at Taree with no problems.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry I haven't jumped on the bandwagon earlier, but all In had to show was a great mess.

At last it's taking shape !!!

I decided to give the Super Diamond a few mods that include electric flaps, sheeted wings, new canopy & new paint job starting from scratch.

It's one of Gary's canopies, and with a little trimming & squeezing we got it down to Super Diamond size.

I played around with the spray gun by putting a Gold Pearl over the Red base, so out of the sun it's deep Red trimmed with an over tinted Violet Pearl, but in the sun and depending on where you stand, it goes from Red through Orange to Gold.

PICT1631.JPG.67923d59d69a43d87cfbd24e285490ef.JPG

PICT1625.JPG.970acac6d3c40aa380f6b9682279e4a2.JPG

PICT1630.JPG.582b22a79f88313cc26394b5807e70e8.JPG

• Like 1

Kit no. 51 has just been sold in the Cheetah /Sierra range about 25 are flying. Mostly using jab motors using our install no one has had problems, to many people knock a good motor. One guy has fitted a D motor and is not happy with it so far, the UL motor is still an UL known, The new Cougar will have a Lyc.233 fitted , we also have just installed a Viking motor to a Cougar but it wont be run for a couple of months yet.

• Informative 2

Hi Gary is that the cougar 2 that you are putting the lycoming in? It would be great if you kept us up to date on its progress a cougar with a lycoming in it is very interesting to me

Yes we have a 233 lyc. which will go in the new Cougar, I prefer the Jab 3.3 but most people just don't like the jab motor, and talk of problems with it. I have been using the Jab for about 10 years now and haven't had any problems.and spar parts cost are very good when you compare others. The Lycoming is one less talked about.I have a CASA medical so I believe it may be possible to take more passengers. and fuel.

• 2 weeks later...