Morgan Cheetah - engine options?

Picker

Hi there, exploring what is involved putting a Jab 3300 into a Cheetah. Thought this may be a good place to ask the question. They did not come with this as an engine option (looking at the Morgan webpage) so was hoping someone may have some experience with this subject. Thanks (Photo for interest and pinched from the Morgan webpage)

I thought so as well, it was an option with the Cheetah Sierra series but looking at the page here Morgan Aeroworks - Cheetah the 3300 option in the Cheetah is not listed hence my confusion. From that page....

Power Plants

Jabiru 2200 - 4 Cylinder 80hp

Rotax 912 - 4 Cylinder 80hp

Rotax 582 - 2 Cylinder 65hp

Hi there, exploring what is involved putting a Jab 3300 into a Cheetah. Thought this may be a good place to ask the question. They did not come with this as an engine option (looking at the Morgan webpage) so was hoping someone may have some experience with this subject. Thanks (Photo for interest and pinched from the Morgan webpage)

Theres an aircraft I knew for a while, havent seen it for a couple of years now. Was very impressed with it, and its pilot.

The original Cheetahs had cloth covered wings and the later SIERRA was all metal and was optioned with 3300.

You should call Ray and ask. I have flown the 3300 Sierra and is a good performer.

Theres an aircraft I knew for a while, havent seen it for a couple of years now. Was very impressed with it, and its pilot.

I too remember that aircraft and it’s pilot owner too . He was a very prominent contributor and supporter of this site in the early days .

Not sure what has happened to the pilot but the Cheetah 19-5151 is in the hangar I've recently rented a space in Goulburn. It is very unloved, buried in dust, has flat tires and shoved into the back of the hangar.

Steve

This aircraft attended many of the flyins and was seen at most, if not all, events for a few years. The then owner was as keen as mustard. Canberra public servant so may be on transfer etc etc. Nice chap.

• Agree 1

Used to..(belongs to) Slartibartfast ( last posted 2016)

Had an occasion flying into Watts Bridge to experience the on air behaviour of this individual. Suffice to say I (and a following CPL/instructor) have a different opinion of the professionism/airmanship of this individual. But I accept everyone is entitled to their opinion. I didn’t respond on the radio but waited in the vicinity of the aircraft a couple of times during the day hoping to meet him to discuss the legal requirements in relation to circuit entry. Unfortunately or perhaps fortunately we did not meet - but you take people as you find them (or not as the case may be).

• Informative 1

Used to..(belongs to) Slartibartfast ( last posted 2016)

Has me concerned somewhat . He was very popular and really involved on this site and to suddenly “disappear “ and let his pride and joy airplane fall into an unworthy state has me wondering .

Dave C

• Agree 2

The build log of this aircraft is in the Morgan Aeroworks Forum. Ross and Joshua built and logged the builds of their Cheetahs in the thread Building "Cowboy Up", a Cheetah Kit It's a shame it has become unloved. The quality of the build was excellent. There are several other threads from Ross (aka Slaribartfast) in the Morgan Forums. He was a very keen pilot for a long time.

• Agree 1

Just a quick update. Seems the owner has been caught up on some large work projects, hence the state of the aircraft.

As an aside, a couple of the sharp aluminum edges of the wing frame seem to have cut there way through the fabric. Could large temperature changes in the hanger have caused this?

Trying to make sense of the observation.

The fabric folds into the aileron cut out and has been glued to a rib. The 150mm cut runs along the rib and the material covering the wing above the cut has curled. The material is obviously under tension. The rib is sharp. Mechanical flexing of the wing in flight and the sharp edge of the rib will have contributed to the cut.

My question above goes to how sensitive fabric is to temperature changes. I recollect a LAME once telling me that putting my homebuilt tube and fabric covered aircraft into the sun would tighten the fabric. The temperature change in the hangar can change from -10 to 20 in a matter of a few hours. A differential of 30 degrees. Over time, could temperature variations contribute to the fabric failure?

The 4 cyl Jab pushes the Cheetah along ok. I just delivered the red and white one with stars from Taree to Cowra. It cruised at 100 to 110knts. New owner has that grin that most get after flying them.

• Like 1