Morgan Cougar Mk 2.

Guernsey

Gary Morgan of Morgan Aeroworks has recently emailed me with details of his latest venture, the four seat Cougar Mk 2 which he has allowed me to forward on to our Forum members.

As you can see from the sketch diagram it is similar to the well known Cougar Mk 1 with increased payload up to a MTOW of 950kgs which includes full fuel and two 90kg passengers in the front and two 80kg passengers in the rear. It can cruise at 150 knots and if loaded to 600kg has an approach speed of only 50 knots. As with the other Morgans it can be de-rigged and trailered. Check out the details on the diagram.

Alan Marriette (A Morgan fan.)

374960404_MorganCougarMk2.jpg.a1ce01dd848d78794ea024d6b9e8efa6.jpg

• Like 1

To be honest, I wouldn't know where to start if I had to design an aircraft (despite being an engineer), so anyone who can do it, much less run a successful commercial operation, deserves a lot of respect in my book. The sketch reminds me a bit of the Sling 4 that those South African guys flew around the world. It will be interesting to see how the Cougar performs. Any idea when we might see a prototype?

rgmwa

I wish to make a point that I have flown the Cougars that have been built to date and know Gary well enough to say he is a Gentleman and a great designer/ builder, also the Cougar is a a well behaved with good low and high speed performance and does not disappoint. I have flown many types and look forward to seeing and flying anything that Gary builds or designs. Go fly with him, he is a good pilot and a good honest bloke. He has been in Ultralights a long time and in Gliders for a very long time and when not doing that he has a few model planes. If you have doubts ask to fly the Cougar you will be amazed at its low speed performance and then at high speed it is very comfortable, a nice plane. I hope I get an invite to fly a Lycoming powered Cougar Mk II . I have over 60 hours in Morgan Sierras and like them very much, but the truth be known I am a high wing man and have owned a C172 for nine years before I sold it for a RAA plane.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I was in Taree on Monday organising the engine for my Sierra & Garry tells me there has been a lot of interest since he emailed the Mk 2 sketch to various people. It has sort of gone viral in an aviation sense. It seems a number are making the trek to Taree to check the Cougar out. He has a Lycoming 0320 on the way for the new model. With all the !@#$ he has been (& is still going) through his positive attitude was great to see.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1
  • Caution 1

Damn Kev, I was in Taree on Monday but had to leave early to get home. I wanted to catch up with Garry and see how he was going. I could have bumped into you as well.

Its certainly going to be a big hump to get over, but he can. He acknowledges the mistakes, he just needs the right support and encouragement. Hopefully he will get that now.

• Agree 1

Pity we missed one another David. It would be good to see the new RAA management provide the support Garry never got with the old guard. At present it is all from GFA and SAAA.

• Agree 2

• 7 months later...

Unfortunately Garry the only advantage the RPL will give a pilot over the RA Aus PC is an increase in MTOW to 1500Kgs and CTA entry and aeros with the appropriate endorsements. You are still limited to pilot plus one PAX.

Your Cougar would obviously be VH Exp. registered.

The RPL is a BIG disappointment because what had been touted as a Drivers medical it NOT. It is a CASA Recreational medical because they have added about 10 other medical conditions to the medical that are not included in the drivers medical. What is worse is that it is a tick box medical with no discretion available by the GP. If you have or have had any of the listed conditions you cannot get an RPL medical and your only route would be a Class 2 (or 1) via a DAME which in my opinion is a better option, because there are remedies via the DAME process that are not available via the GP and the RPL medical. The whole thing is quite misleading really.

The original idea was that if you could no longer pass a class 2 you might be able to get an RPL with the reduced privileges and still fly your C or P etc. NOT going to happen, if you cant pass the class2, you wont pass an RPL. So the RPL really only provides a route from RA Aus to RPL , not from PPL to RPL (unless there are no medical issues).

We are building a new Cougar with the 100mm higher undercarriage, this makes it look like a much bigger aircraft. My new one will have the 233 Lyc. motor 6-8 hrs of fuel and will be able to carry 350kg for 4 people. the interior needs to be upgraded, full upholstery top to bottom, we have a good guy here to do the job.

• 4 months later...

The new Cougar has 100mm higher U/C to swing 1.8m props and a larger nose leg for heaver motors like the Lycoming. which requires a step on the side of the fuse. Many of the cosmetics have been improved as you will see on the Cheyenne motor glider. We are looking to do a longer canopy, moving the rear back to get better entry to the rear seats. The design doesn't need any changes as it was 100% all round on its first flight. People that fly in it say they wouldn't believe how good it fly s if they hadn't seen it for them selves.We need to move our demo Cougar to make a new one this winter so we dropped the price to 55k

• 1 year later...

Hi All,

I'm new to Raa this also being my first post here!

I have a CPL making a VH Cougar no issue to fly legally. A friend of mine has recently commenced training towards the Raa certificate. Ultimately we would like to 'live the dream' and go halves in an aircraft. We had been looking at the Sierra 100/200 and similar 2 seat aircraft due my friend's lack of a PPL. However my recent reading leads me to believe a Raa cert holder with passenger and cross country tickets with min 20hr experience (min 5hr solo) can with very little cross training obtain an RPL with the nav endorsements coming across. Of course a medical and BAK etc would need to be completed.

The relevance to this thread being a Raa cert holder with minor expense/training to obtain an RPL can fly a VH 4 seat cougar with all seats occupied! Even in CTA with additional training. That should increase this aircraft's appeal.

This thread's been inactive for a while so this maybe common knowledge now or I maybe interpreting the regs incorrectly.

Cheers

http://www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_assets/main/lib100191/rr61_rpl_fs.pdf

Top right of last page.

I've attached a screen shot as I was unable to copy the text.

Looks like the RPL holder only needs a Class 1 or 2 medical or another pilot able to operate the aircraft with a Class 1 or 2 medical is on board and you can carry as many people as a PPL/CPL holder.

Untitled.png.9894d89df5ae20026e07f8a5b02bff00.png

• Agree 5