Morgan Joey

ian00798

Good afternoon to all,

I am considering buying a Morgan Joey that I have seen online and I was wondering if there are any Morgan two seat owners in south east Queensland that would be willing to take me for a demonstration flight? I would happily pay the fuel cost for the flight, it's just really important for me to see what the aircraft feels like in the sky, and that's not something I can get from a brochure.

Thanks in advance,

Ian

One thing I found with the KR2 I used to own, just because you can cruise fast, doesn't mean you will cruise fast. The aircraft is quick, yes and handled beautifully, but with such a light wing loading you feel every little bump so you tended to slow down. It also floats a loooooong way on landing if you're a little quick over the fence, but that is because of the flat fuselage skimming a few inches above the ground in the taildragger, so may not be such an issue with the nose gear.

One other thing, the BEW of the Joey is listed as 340Kg, this is nearly 100Kg heavier than the recommended BEW of the basic KR2 design. I would recommend a review of KRNet and in particular Neil Binghams article before committing to something like that. Sure it will fly, but it won't fly as nicely as a lightweight KR2, even though there are KR's out there pushing 1200lb ramp weights! The heavier you are, the worse it will fly, even though it is in balance.

Actually that one looks familiar, it might be the one in a hangar at Cessnock across from my RV. If it is the same one, it is disassembled and looks like it hasn't been moved in a little while, so you may well be up for an engine inspection or overhaul depending on the condition of the cylinders, something to consider if it proves to be the same one.

One thing I found with the KR2 I used to own, just because you can cruise fast, doesn't mean you will cruise fast. The aircraft is quick, yes and handled beautifully, but with such a light wing loading you feel every little bump so you tended to slow down. It also floats a loooooong way on landing if you're a little quick over the fence, but that is because of the flat fuselage skimming a few inches above the ground in the taildragger, so may not be such an issue with the nose gear.One other thing, the BEW of the Joey is listed as 340Kg, this is nearly 100Kg heavier than the recommended BEW of the basic KR2 design. I would recommend a review of KRNet and in particular Neil Binghams article before committing to something like that. Sure it will fly, but it won't fly as nicely as a lightweight KR2, even though there are KR's out there pushing 1200lb ramp weights! The heavier you are, the worse it will fly, even though it is in balance.

Actually that one looks familiar, it might be the one in a hangar at Cessnock across from my RV. If it is the same one, it is disassembled and looks like it hasn't been moved in a little while, so you may well be up for an engine inspection or overhaul depending on the condition of the cylinders, something to consider if it proves to be the same one.

KRviator is right on the money - we have a couple of KR's here on the field and we call them the widowmakers - very light in pitch, very sensitive to loadings and not really a genuine 2-seater - 2 large people and you tend to stagger round the circuit in an arse-down attitude. Without flaps you need a mile of smooth runway to land, although once you are at altitude they fly beautifully - even on a VW. The nosewheel is one of its weaknesses - you certainly cant operate them on anything but smooth runways - no good at all on our rough grass strips.

KRviator is right on the money - we have a couple of KR's here on the field and we call them the widowmakers - very light in pitch, very sensitive to loadings and not really a genuine 2-seater - 2 large people and you tend to stagger round the circuit in an ****-down attitude. Without flaps you need a mile of smooth runway to land, although once you are at altitude they fly beautifully - even on a VW. The nosewheel is one of its weaknesses - you certainly cant operate them on anything but smooth runways - no good at all on our rough grass strips.

I always imagined that was the reason for the Morgan Joey...trying to build a better KR?

Thanks for all the excellent replies so far. It's good to get an idea of the practicalities of how the aircraft flies in the real world rather than just what it looks like on paper. I'm starting to get used to an aircraft that floats, the 172 will punish with balloon and could float the length of the space shuttle runway if you go over the fence five knots fast. Having had most of my previous time on ct4s and pc9s, it took a while to get used to an aircraft that floats on landing.

I didn't realise the Joey had such a fragile nose wheel, that could be a problem since I want the aircraft based at Caboolture. I'm guessing the Joey is pretty rare, if anyone has a Sierra in the area and would be willing to take me up I would highly appreciate it. The fact that the cruise speed is so close to vne on the Joey is a bit concerning, it looks like a little bit of inattention and you could quickly be in trouble.

I also agree endlessly adding weight is only going to degrade the overall feel of the aircraft. Certainly been lots of good advice and highly appreciated. It may be worth looking at the kr2. I wish I could afford an RV like KRaviator, maybe I will have my dream rv8a built within 10 years. Certainly starting to understand why people who love to fly don't have a lot of spare money saved.

• Informative 1

• 6 months later...

First the joey is not a KR the joey has 7 feet more wing span, 1 foot more tail span and a much longer fuse. Yes it is based on a kr , less elevator movement, there are a lot of very good aircraft out there, but the control system set up has let them down. the joey is more like a normal aircraft, if normal is the word to use.

• Like 2