Mr Skidmore resigned from CASA?

Someone up there had rose tinted glasses when it described the great changes MS brought to CASA.

Now is the time to talk to your local MP and see if he can find out why CASA can't keep directors and doesn't change while aying there are big changes.

The Ministerial Statement reads (in part):

Minister for Infrastructure and Transport Darren Chester also thanked Skidmore for his service and wished him “all the best for the future”..................“I remain focused on working with the board and staff of CASA, in partnership with industry, to maintain and enhance our safety record and, just as importantly to support a viable aviation industry.”

Translation for those not familiar with bureaucrat-speak:

"I can't work with him. I will replace him with a grovelling yes-man."

Skates as he is known in RAAF circles is actually a very intelligent and decent person, and a very keen aviator. Yes of course political statements crap on about "achievements" etc but my hunch based on him leaving well before his term is up is that his vision for changing CASA was probably stymied by his own board or at the political level quite a lot - enough to say "screw this......I'm packing up and going home".

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Mr Skidmore was trying to change CASA and making some good progress I believe. I'm more inclined to think the major road block was the public service within CASA rather than the board. Mr Skidmore could help general aviation a lot if he could give a detailed, warts and all, account of his brief encounter with CASA. To go so soon without explanation would be an opportunity wasted. However, if he wants more government work (like Sir Angus Houston) he will probably choose to say nothing that will embarrass his political masters. I hope he rejoins AOPA and continues the fight from the outside.

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1
  • Caution 1

Mr Skidmore could help general aviation a lot if he could give a detailed, warts and all, account of his brief encounter with CASA.

I'll be very surprised if that happens. Governments and even most big corporations are excellent at writing very punitive "non-disclosure" clauses into early termination of contracts. They do not want their dirty laundry aired in the public arena.

You might get some abstract hints, but you won't get a warts & all account.

• Agree 2

I'll be very surprised if that happens. Governments and even most big corporations are excellent at writing very punitive "non-disclosure" clauses into early termination of contracts. They do not want their dirty laundry aired in the public arena.You might get some abstract hints, but you won't get a warts & all account.

Bring on wiki leaks.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The Ministerial Statement reads (in part):Minister for Infrastructure and Transport Darren Chester also thanked Skidmore for his service and wished him “all the best for the future”..................“I remain focused on working with the board and staff of CASA, in partnership with industry, to maintain and enhance our safety record and, just as importantly to support a viable aviation industry.”

Translation for those not familiar with bureaucrat-speak:

"I can't work with him. I will replace him with a grovelling yes-man."

Skates as he is known in RAAF circles is actually a very intelligent and decent person, and a very keen aviator. Yes of course political statements crap on about "achievements" etc but my hunch based on him leaving well before his term is up is that his vision for changing CASA was probably stymied by his own board or at the political level quite a lot - enough to say "screw this......I'm packing up and going home".

So over a period of time, The old Board was replaced........ A New CEO was appointed......... End result..... No Change.

This would indicate that the lower levels of the organisation are in control.

Next step (Perhaps) Install a caretaker CEO, (Or toe cutter) to clear the decks.

Coming off an election, there must be a few of the party faithful that are looking for a job.

• Agree 1

CEO of CASA is the classic poisoned chalice. The organisation has been allowed free rein for so many years that it has developed its' very own culture, which has proven impossible to erase by simply giving lucrative early retirement to a few heads of section. CASA is on autopilot and the GPS NAV mode is frozen!

I'm disappointed that Mark Skidmore has quit so early. He did respond to an email from me regards Part 61, and I know he read another email regards suggested fixes. I believe he knew that the whole process had been cocked up: but was trying to juggle 27 balls without upsetting the apple cart. I wish him well, and hope that he now rejoins AOPA, and that we see him around the flyins.

As to his successor: Lets hope that he/she has good managerial skills gained in private enterprise rather than the public service. And has some civilian flying experience, though I don't see this as important as the business experience.

happy days,

• Agree 5
  • Winner 1