My first video - Circuits at YSGR

kgwilson

I have had this Chinese Go-Pro knock off for ages but never created an edited video with music etc so I thought I'd have a go. I just installed a new Bolly Bos 5  2 blade prop so this was the test flight. Very pleased with the performance.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Kevin. I’m looking for a new prop after destroying mine in a ditch at Bathurst. Mine is close to the ground so something not too long maybe. Wood is good for the motor when this happens so I am reluctant to go glass. How does the bolly perform?

Hi Kevin. I’m looking for a new prop after destroying mine in a ditch at Bathurst. Mine is close to the ground so something not too long maybe. Wood is good for the motor when this happens so I am reluctant to go glass. How does the bolly perform?

Really well. It is quiet and ground adjustable. At 60" it is 3" smaller in diameter that the wooden one I had.  When I destroyed my original wood prop I pulled the engine out & checked the flange runout & it was perfect & replaced the flywheel bolts but there was nothing wrong with the bolts I removed. the new ones have nordloc washers which is better than the original loctited in bolts.

To fit the new prop I had to move the whole cowl assembly back 15mm which sounds easy but with all the ducts etc having to be cut down it took a while. The main reason is the spinner backing plate flange faces rearwards & Garrys faced forwards. Also the prop has what they call a taurus at the inboard trailing edge to improve airflow through the intake nacelles. I was amazed at the difference to my EGTs & CHT. In cruise it was around 1100 deg F & now it is 900. CHT is barely in the green & that is now when it is hot. I initially had the pitch way too coarse & could only pull 2800rpm S&L. I adjusted it to the Jabiru scimitar (Bolly) prop manual & it was way too fine. After coming back from Evans Head I adjusted it again. Now it is still a bit too fine. It is now 60 x 60 & in the mornings when the temperature is in the low 20s I am still climbing out at 1500 FPM & the engine will over rev S&L so I am going to coarsen it up a bit more till I get the right balance with at least 1000 to 1200 fpm climb on full power & 3300 rpm flat out S&L.

I was forever fixing stone chips on the wood prop but have had no chips at all to deal with so far.

Many thanks. I will probably go the Bolly too. I will retrieve my plane from Bathurst this weekend with an old prop I have restored. Same issue, many stone chips! My prop strike was minimal and I did not know it was damaged until I shut down. I did notice going down the ditch though. Motor was at idle and did not make any noise. I will check the flange and the run in/out. I will come up and check yours out before I do it. Also need to check out your undercarriage fairing again.

Hi Graham,

I still have the nose leg on that I got from Ray Tolhurst but the bend is about 10 deg too little so when I turn tightly the nose drops down quite a lot and it is very hard to straighten up again. I removed the spat as its nose drags on the ground when I pull the plane into the hangar.

The bend is 40 deg and needs to be about 50 deg. I have a length of Chromoly tube but could not find anyone is the area to bend it but when I was at Evans Head the other week spoke to a bloke from Inverell who gave me a contact in Gen Innes who can do it & heat treat it after as well so I'll organise to get him to bend it up for me. I've got enough tube for 2 legs so will get him to bend both ends & I'll cut it in half & have a spare.

Hi Kevin, it will be interesting to see if your egt increases when you coursen  the prop as per Jabiru SB 18-2.

That is a very old SB related to engine tuning in 2009 and was cancelled entirely by JSB018-3 in 2014.

Quote "Personally, I don't think there's intelligent life on other planets. Why should other planets be any different from this one?" end quote.

Because they've had millions of years to discover what 'intelligence' really is, and we're only an experiment they're playing with.