Nav receiver for no fr in experimental

I would like to make my aircraft nvfr but do not have a nav source, and am looking for the cheapest solution.

Val avionics make a nav only radio, a nav2000, which I can interface with my old Efis for the display. This unit is supposed to be made to meet tso standards, however is not tso’d. I don’t really want to fork out for an Garmin SL30, or a 430, and I do not have room for another instrument for the indicator.

Does anybody know if VH experimental can use a non tso nav receiver for nvfr? The legislation is confusing me.

Thanks.

MGL make their N16 that utilises the SL30 communications protocol so you can drive it with an EFIS if you need to. Again, not TSO'd, and I can't recall if you need TSO to do NVFR. From memory, you do not, but I can't point to the legislation that says either way atm...I've got it in my mind that you don't need any navigation receivers for Night VFR though and the VFRG seems to support that.

I picked up a KLN-90B from Ebay a couple years ago for $600, it won't do for IFR these days as it is only a C129 unit, but it will give you RNAV and push your position-fix times out to 2 hours if you need that. Really, you'd be wanting a GNSS unit over a VHF Nav as VOR's are going the way of the dodo, but it depends on your panel space.

Have you decided who will be the AP who approves your aircraft when it is completed. He will have a say in whether or not the plane is night rated.

I haven't bothered to read the rules, which no doubt are hard to read anyway.

Unless you already have ADF or VOR installed, for a new build a TSO GNSS is really the only option. The old systems are on borrowed time. You might strike it lucky and get a good 2nd hand one for a discount. Even the 430 is considered old school now, but suitable for NVFR.

That's correct. All new IFR installations require a C145/C146 GNSS to drive your ADS-B. Garmin has released a couple new boxes, plus an indicator like a G5 configured as an HSI and you should be able to fit one for less than $20K. Still a BIG chunk of change though...