Need GPS ELT

Hi everyone,

I am new to flying and new to this website. I need to get an ELT, but don't know much about them. I was looking at Kannad's Integra 406. I was hoping someone with experience with this model could help me out. Is this a decent price? Integra 406 GPS ELT System Kit for Private Aircraft NEW | eBay

Best,

Carl

Don’t let the cheaper price of any safety item dictate your purchase decision. You hope you never need it but, if the day ever comes you want it to be reliable and work the best it can.

Cheers,

Jack.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Hi everyone,

I am new to flying and new to this website. I need to get an ELT, but don't know much about them. I was looking at Kannad's Integra 406. I was hoping someone with experience with this model could help me out. Is this a decent price? Integra 406 GPS ELT System Kit for Private Aircraft NEW | eBay

Best,

Carl

I am a little confused (or is it you ?);

ELT's are usually fitted as part of the aircraft.

The way you have written your question sounds like you might be after a PLB with GPS capability.

Saw a GPS elt in BFC the other day for $349.Not sure of it's suitability for aircraft though.I need one also incoming weeks.

Don't know why, but emergency locator beacon associated with boating are usually referred to as EPIRB's, (Emergency Position Indicator Radio Beacon) aircraft ELT's (Emergency Location Transmitter) and the small pockets jobs as PLB's (Personal Locator Beacon)- they all use the same international emergency frequency, satellites and response systems.

The more expensive "fixed" systems may have features such as water activated, g/crash activated but even the little ones will usually float and may have a flashing strobe light.

All units must be registered (free) with the emergency response authority

PLB's are usually much much cheaper than their "fixed" big sisters and are acceptable for RAA aircraft/pilots.

Carl, is it a ELT or PLB you really need?

I like PLB's as they are generally smaller and more portable. You can carry them on your person as you move from aircraft to aircraft and also travel with them in your car or hiking.

Carl, is it a ELT or PLB you really need?

I like PLB's as they are generally smaller and more portable. You can carry them on your person as you move from aircraft to aircraft and also travel with them in your car or hiking.

I am sure you know but will mention it just in case;

Emergency locator beacons of all types need to be registered with the emergency response authority - when you do this you nominate the activity(s) that will be associated with the device ie your device is triggered - emergency authority/response get the message and start looking for a hiker - oops! you forgot to mention you use it for flying.