New Brumby 610 High Wing

Mathew Ker

I received an email from Brumby Aircraft Australia with some very brief details regarding the new Brumby 610 High Wing aircraft. Initial details include 110kts cruise behind a 100hp Rotax 912. I had the opportunity to speak to Paul at the factory towards the end of last year and my understanding is that it will be a little lighter than the original Brumby, and not quite as quick. The Lycoming 0-233 engine should be an option and this would be a very exciting package. I will be lining up to see one at Natfly.

(I have no commercial relationship with Brumby Australia - I would just like the money to buy one! 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif)

Cheers, Mathew

172889979_Brumby610.thumb.jpg.78cc1d3ee3e89ef10f5b9ce77a2027db.jpg

yes it is david. I agree about the TW version. I am sure it would be available. They mention the Lyc.0-233. The Cont. 0-200D was available too (I think). LSA category does not appeal. I hope we grow out of that "interim" concept. Too many restrictions just to get 50 Kgs extra. These planes could be stretched . We need a higher weight. They are all pushing the boundary where they have to leave the fuel tanks half empty to carry 2 people. Nev

Guest basscheffers
110 knots and wide as a 172 is a big ask at only 100 HP though isn't it?

Not at all, a c172 is very narrow. There are many LSA wider than a C172 and faster than 110 kt on the Rotax.

Check out the flight design CT range, for instance.

C172 is an ancient, inefficient an expensive design. Why people still buy them is beyond my comprehension...

If I was making it, I would have a T/W option but the general want is for a tricycle gear config. Often you can use the same mount points and just reverse the U/C if it is inclined one way, rather than straight down. I would like to think that you could fit a better U/C than the ubiquitous leaf spring, though they are simple and don't have much drag. Good to see this plane has eventuated. Nev

• 4 weeks later...

Nice looking aircraft, but at Natfly it was sporting a large and rather ugly ventral fin. Don't know if this will be a permanent feature. Bit hard to put a tail wheel there 033_scratching_head.gif.b541836ec2811b6655a8e435f4c1b53a.gif

_DSC0207.jpg.ed56d7d484b1ee4ae88ba40fcffbbfce.jpg

Guest Maj Millard

Nice looking nose profile, nice wings , large doors , big cabin, but from the rear window back they need to do some work. Also looks like they kicked it out quickly by the finish on the sheetmetal, particulary on the tail area, finish there is shocking ! Rear ventral fin tells me the tail could be a little longer. Definitly got potential though, and their low-wingers are nicely finished all round.............................................................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest nunans

I sat in that one at natfly and the cabin room is good, it's all metal, locally built etc. The big ventral fin is going in place of a new tail specifically for the high wing brumby (the fin was needed because i believe they just used the existing tail design from the low wing and it didn't provide enough stability for the new high wing design)

That story sounds a bit like the J170 story huh?? If you cheat and use the "here's one i prepared earlier" method and just swap a wing you end up needing a big copensation somewhere else..

The way i fly though, I think I'd break that nose gear in no time:black_eye:

Bring on the TW version ...

I also had a look at it at Temora ... it was quite generous in size and has great possibility.

It did look very prototype in its presentation and needs to be cleaned up to meet consumer expectations ... never the less, its great to see another local product evolving and look fwd to seeing it further developed.

Cheers

Vev

Guest Maj Millard

Your right Vev, the low-wing Brumby looks good and is a nice tidy product. Being that the high-wing was a prototype, I'm sure they'll get it sorted out pretty quick...............................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

• 4 weeks later...