New Build of Zodiac XL Kit

techie49

Hope someone might enlighten me with a few answers.

Should be taking delivery of a quickbuild kit around the end of February. Can anyone give me any info on how many Clecos I'll need, what sizes and where to get them from in Oz (cheaply!!! - HaHa).

I'm sure if I go on the Zenair site this info is probably there but I prefer to get the real info from someone who's actually done the job.

Second question is, what engines are XL builders considering. I've gone quite pale at the price of the Rotax range and was thinking of an EA81 conversion but can they be obtained here??

Stratus do them in the US but lots of people seem to be using them on Gyros in Australia. Any help gratefully accepted...........

Regards,

Paul

Clecos

AS MANY AS YOU CAN GET YOU HANDS ON!

There are three different sizes 5/32 (Black), 1/8 (Copper), 3/32 (silver). We have about 200 of each. If you purchace them here in OZ they are about $1 each ($0.34 each in the states). I got a lot on Ebay. I payed abot $10.00 for 20 at a time. Type in CLECO or SKIN PIN. You should also get some Cleco side clamps 4 or 6 should do. I also purchased a dozen 4 inch vice grips [ATTACH]7163[/ATTACH] from the local flee market here in Brisbane. They were about $5 each. Well worth the money for holding everthing together.

We are putting the Corvair engine in our 601XL. It is a 6 Cyl air cooled 100hp direct drive engine. Have a look at www.flycorvair.com for some infomation. There are more and more parts becoming available here in OZ. The whole fire wall forward instalation should be well under 20k. If you are preapaired to do some of the work it would be closer to 15-16k.

I hope you have as much fun building your kit as we have building the ones here in Brisbane. (3) kits.

If you have any further questions you can contact any time.

Ian Ratcliffe

Zodiac XL New Build

Cheers Ian,

I looked on Ebay last night and as you say there are some to be had.

As for engines, I'm still going to have to punt around for something whilst I'm doing the airframe. Looks like I know what I'll be asking for from Santa.........

regards,

Paul

I ended up getting 100 x 3/32",200 x 1/8" and 100 x 5/32" and has worked out OK.Like Ian I got some from eBay and some locally.Putting a Jab 3300 on mine and got the USA FWF kit with the sensenich prop.Waiting on replacement engine mount as first one was not up to specifications.Cheers T87

• More 1

Zodiac XL Build

Hi T87,

Do you have a ball-park price on the Jab 3300.

I've emailed Jab but so far they haven't bothered to reply.

May be that I'm just tight, but 20K for a Rotax (uncertified) seems to be taking the p**s a little. As I said to another reply, it may be I'll have to compromise initially to get the project flying and change to the more expensive alternative as cash permits.

Regards,

Paul