new buildup of Aircraft structure and testing

You employ a professional test pilot, who has the skills to find the faults and problems. Are there any specific areas you're concerned with?

Have you assembled components and assemblies without having your workmanship checked at every stage?

That is a vital procedure in the construction and assembly, that must be formally put in place, before any construction is carried out.

When a person works alone and unsupervised, it is fertile ground for assembly errors, and failure to complete assembly properly.

Thus you need to have your work checked regularly by an independent and official overseer, or instructor.

• Helpful 1

i want to know that for newly construction of HOMEBUILT Aircraft,  how i can test that the structure is okay and i can fly in air without any accident?

Ambiguous question, but a load test is a good start that can be done at home for little cost.

http://www.oneaircraft.com/wing-ultimate-limit-load-test-internal/

https://www.sonexaircraft.com/onexarchive-121010/

https://generalaviationnews.com/2010/02/24/e-go-project-hits-milestone/

https://aviation.stackexchange.com/questions/46965/what-physical-tests-are-involved-with-verifying-a-wing-spar-is-suitably-construc

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

There's age old sayings that are applicable to all sorts of construction activities: "measure twice, cut once". Also, "two heads are better than one". They are even written into aircraft maintenance manuals, usually in relation to flight controls: "If components of the control system have been separated, the restored connections have to be inspected by at least two people, one of whom did not do the job. (Dual inspection)".

If you follow the plans for your aircraft, and use the recommended materials, then you can reasonably expect any assembly to pass a dual inspection. If you are building your own aircraft, one would expect that the construction methods would not be slap-dash. If you are making a change to the materials originally specified, then some of the tests that Bex suggested should be carried out.

For example, if I had my druthers, I'd love to build a little biplane called the Gere Sport Biplane, a 1930's tube and rag plane. However, I want to use aluminium tubing instead of steel to make the airframe in a similar way to the Morgan types. I'd also make the wing spars from aluminium. Obviously, such a step away from the original would require testing and the input of experienced builders of aluminium airframe aircraft.

• Like 1

I can recall some of the stories told by Harold Shelton, the test pilot of the Australian-built Beaufort bombers and Beaufighters, during WW2, about the terrible mistakes made by the workers in the Beaufort factory when constructing the aircraft.

Very few aircraft of such size and complexity had previously been built in Australia, and during WW2, the workers were under enormous pressure to produce as many Beauforts and Beaufighters as possible.

However, due to the lack of aircraft-building skills, and the lack of disciplined procedures during the construction of the Beauforts, there were some terrible mistakes made during construction.

Some of these mistakes were things such as leaving a hammer inside the wing, fitting flight controls incorrectly, loose fasteners, and a myriad of other mistakes caused by rushing and a lack of supervision.

http://www.beaufortrestoration.com.au/beaufort-test-pilots.html

• Agree 1

For example, if I had my druthers, I'd love to build a little biplane called the Gere Sport Biplane, a 1930's tube and rag plane. However, I want to use aluminium tubing instead of steel to make the airframe in a similar way to the Morgan types. I'd also make the wing spars from aluminium. Obviously, such a step away from the original would require testing and the input of experienced builders of aluminium airframe aircraft.

My friend Dave with his amazing Gere Sport. This aircraft is very special because of the back story of how his father acquired the plan and many years later they built it together true to the original materials and methods. It has been flying for 15 years now. 

20191020_081746.thumb.jpg.1986984c2d2e37b9fa7257be3ae3acaf.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Davidnane,

Is this homebuilt your own design or is it one that has been built before?

my own effort for builtup new design i.may be a copy of one tested HOMEBUILT Aircraft. 

i am in trouble that how i can verify it structure that its OK.  and secure that i can fly and come back with safe landing.

my own effort for builtup new design i.may be a copy of one tested HOMEBUILT Aircraft. 

i am in trouble that how i can verify it structure that its OK.  and secure that i can fly and come back with safe landing.

If you have to ask those questions on an internet forum you may indeed be in for trouble. Since we know nothing of your project or skills it is impossible to give advice, please be safe.  

• Agree 2
  • Haha 1

Thruster88 is correct. It is hard to design and build an aircraft and be safe!

Knowledge is the key. Start by getting "Laminar Aircraft Structures" by Strojnik. This is the best/ easiest explaination for the structural design.

I think it is available from "Aircraft Spruce and Specialty" in the USA.

• Like 1

Looks like the Gere would fit a bloke of my ample proportions.

How serviceable has that Rotec radial been?

Dave is not a big guy, some of the Gere appeal to me is it's small size, remember designed 1931.

About 300hrs no issues. 

Dave is not a big guy, some of the Gere appeal to me is it's small size, remember designed 1931.

About 300hrs no issues. 

I remember seeing this great aircraft at a Tumut BBQ. It is a tribute to the builder and a joy for the pilot. Rarely does one see such impeccable workmanship.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

For my own design I am installing a parachute! And wearing one!  I am also looking at explosive devices to disconnect the wings from the aircraft in case of uncontrollable spin.  It has a sidestick so I may, in military style, strap my arm in place with some sort of quick release. 

Of course A full 150% load testing with sand bags etc will.be done first.  Also looking a racing car helmet and brace in case the nosewheel breaks on landing and diggs in.

I do expect problems, I am trying to design control of failures into aircraft.  I suggest that one reads the reports of all failures reports that you can get your hands on and see if they are applicable to one's design and work out what to do to mitigate that failure should it happen to you

The seat would weigh more than the aircraft.  But love the thought.  Unfortunately the seat in the aircraft forms part of the structure as a bulkhead, yes single seat.  Love your comment lol