nice light suitable personal logbook, suggestions ?

I now need a logbook. The flying is about to start.

something not too heavy so it doesnt eat into my MTOW and CoG too much

suggestions please ?

there was this thread but it became about electronic logbooks.

https://www.recreationalflying.com/threads/log-books-pilot-and-aircraft-etc-what-do-you-use.70698/post-508928

glen

The weather isn't looking too promising for the next few days, for the South-Eastern and Eastern parts of Australia.

There's a massive pool of freezing polar air in a low pressure system and associated cold front, making its way rapidly NE, from directly below the Bight.

This polar air mass is predicted to bring very cold conditions to those areas, and snow to the snow-prone areas of the East, around the weekend and into next week.

http://satview.bom.gov.au/

This is the FLYING Part. You only do ab initio ONCE. Be clear on what the task is and don't overcomplicate it unnecessarily. Everything in good time. Your instructor won't have his task made easier if you get comments from here on detailed actions. He/She will have their own way of doing things as to how it's presented. You should get preflight briefings and debriefings afterwards. Keep your theory ahead of the actual sequences. Good luck Nev

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

For some reason my school (assuming other schools too) keep logbooks of all students in case of Casa inspection. I've taken mine home for the first time 6 months later :)

I believe you should keep possession and security of your log book, you should make the entries. The instructor / flight school should have their own record and lesson notes for you that they keep.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I believe you should keep possession and security of your log book, you should make the entries. The instructor / flight school should have their own record and lesson notes for you that they keep.

I agree with Blueadventres. Keep your log book yourself. When RQAC/ Airline Academy of Aust went bust a few years ago pilots training there who had their log books at the club had problems getting them back after the receivers moved in and closed the premises.

• Like 1

I agree. Your logbook is your personal property. I have never let any school or club or Instructor or authority keep it and have heard stories of schools retaining log books to ensure the student comes back & doesn't change to the school across the road.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

I agree. Your logbook is your personal property. I have never let any school or club or Instructor or authority keep it and have heard stories of schools retaining log books to ensure the student comes back & doesn't change to the school across the road.

Yes, I was just about to say..... so they don't defect to another school.....

• Like 1

My logbook is a GFA one. Chosen on the basis of weight. Headings altered to protect the guilty.

I was dumbstruck when my next door neighbor Ludwig ( of the time ) produced his old Luftwaffe logbook! It was the same except that his had a big swastika on the cover.

• Like 2

Thanks guys, all good:) I see the point especially after closure of some flying schools. Regardless, after every lesson I entered hours into my logbook, then returned it back to the shelf behind reception. I could take it home anytime, and I actually took it occasionally when doing Aeros in other school. At home, I entered receipts (and hours) into Excel. My end goal was PPL, so I wasn't chasing hours, nor career. After completing PPL, both the logbook and a little CASA booklet called licence are with me :) Cheers!

100% keep your logbook yourself. It is YOUR logbook. There is no valid reason to leave it at your flying school.

Random CASA inspection? BS. Yes, CASA may ask and arrange with you to see it.

Mrs 440 is in a local community organisation, they met weekly at a local pub, left all there stuff there for convenience. The pub went broke, closed, locked up, owners could not be found. By the time the group was able to get back in there, the whole joint was cleaned out by a contractor presumably, everything was just gone, including all the groups property which was clearly marked with their well known branding.

Couldn't happen to a flying school? Dream on. Keep your logbook yourself.

• Winner 1

I use both a standard logbook and a spreadsheet to keep a record of my flying. Pity they don't agree on hours flown! If I did lose my original logbook I'd be much annoyed as it does have sentimental value.

We are all agreed!

Take it home, its yours.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

HELP! I cant find an old style CASA pilot logbook. The ATC book displayed in an earlier post here is the closest I can find but not what I am after. I want one with less columns (like they use to be) which is more suited to Recreational flying.