exams

Guest jimbo

Guest jimbo

Hello, I am new to the forum and new to recreational flying (still a student). So far I have 6.5 hours in the air learning in a Drifter. I did my initial hours at Clifton whilst on holidays - I live in Mackay where learning Ultralight isn't available. I have land at the Airlink Estate at Gatton where we intend to relocate as soon we are able. At present we are having a hanger built on our land. So, its all part of a bigger plan. My question is, is it possible to access test papers to assist me with my study?

Jimbo

Greetings Jimbo,

Welcome to the forum. Keep a regular eye on this site and I reckonyou'll be the better pilot for it, the knowledge base here is very helpful.

Tried the web but can't find it ... what's the Airlink Estate?

About your learning. I did all my theory learning with the aid of the following list of manuals which are compiled for PPL training so offers the recreational flying student with pretty much all you need ... for theory that is (there's nothing like the experience). Also, the RA-Aus websitewww.auf.asn.auoffers an extensive training module but I'm not aware of any sample tests. This site (I tried to log onto it this arvo but it seems to be down right now) should provide you with the knowledge base specific to ultralight flying that the PPL manuals obviously miss.

These manuals are really good and most have a review quiz at the end of each chapter as well as sample tests in the back. Take a look at The Aviation Theory Centre web site for ordering and prices. http://aviationtheory.net.au/students/cat/

The Flying Training Manual (no reviews or sample tests)

Basic Aeronautical Knowledge

Meteorology and Navigation

Flight Rules and Air Law

Flight Radio for Pilots

If you want you can get sample exams for PPL standard these are also available through the same site.

Just an aside, my wife and I are lobbing into Mackay airport tomorrow at 1040 (local) to join up with Gerry Turner of Aviation Mackay for a flt in his Cherokee over to Brampton ... can't wait smiley16.gif, especially after it snowing down here today. Next time we'll do the trip in our CT,when it's finally repaired.

Paul

Guest jimbo

Paul,thanks for your reply, I will follow up your leads. Gatton is 1 hr west of Brisbane and 25 min from Toowoomba. It is a private estate with its own airstrip,Gatton South. There has been a lot of interest in the estate, and people are coming various parts of Australia to live there. All with a common interest, of course. We recently went to NatFly in Narromine, and were excited to meet other people who currently live interstate but, just like us, are planning to move there.

Tonight Mackay is 20 degrees and overcast. We have been having some lovely rain. I am sure you will love your trip to the islands - Brampton and the Whitsundays are magnificent

Jimbo

Gidday Jimbo, mate I have visited the estate at Gatton & it looks fantastic & certainly a pilots dream come true, to be able to walk out the backyard; kick the tires -light the fires & zoom off. I personally have to drive for a good hour & 1/2 for the privilage...

as previously mentioned this forum is a wealth of knowledge for the anyaviator irrespective of stick time. Another FREE website that is gold is http://www.av8n.com/how/ ;does not have exams but is full of info.

all the best, Joe

Guest jimbo

giday Joe, Very lucky to get a block kacking on to the strip. Building a hanger as we speak. Will hold 3 planes. Hoping to rent two plane places out. Keep one place for my self. Just love the thought of flying of our own strip. Worried about exams for exams for licence. Spent 9 years in RAAF as airframe fitter so should know alot about B.A.K. but so long ago. 28 years.

Guest Fred Bear

I'm not aware of any test papers as such other than the two BAK exams I posess. Some schools make up their ownsample questions.

You really just need to have a read of the book and talk it over with your instructor. You don't really "learn" from seeing a copy of the exam.

Guest jimbo

I am not aware of any ultralight schools in the Mackay region so do not have the benefit of being able to talk to an instructor. Have study guides which I have been reading. Just thought it would be good to see how I am doing. Not asking to see "the" exam. Just thought there might be trial exams.

• 13 years later...

" Some schools make up their own sample questions. "

Some schools make up their own interpretation of the answers !.

What causes icing ?. "moisture in the air"

I answered what is written by CASA , Low pressure in the carbie venturi.

My wrong !. But it makes flying in Darwin dangerous, while Mcmurdo valley would be safe from carbureta icing,?.

"The McMurdo Dry Valleys are a row of largely snow-free valleys in Antarctica, located within Victoria Land west of McMurdo Sound. The Dry Valleys experience extremely low humidity and surrounding mountains prevent the flow of ice from nearby glaciers. Wikipedia"

spacesailor

• 4 weeks later...
" Some schools make up their own sample questions. "

Some schools make up their own interpretation of the answers !.

What causes icing ?. "moisture in the air"

I answered what is written by CASA , Low pressure in the carbie venturi.

Was the question specific to carby icing? If noy then I don't think the carbie venturi pressure is the first cause of icing that comes to mind.