Not another navigation application

To keep my brain working, I'm currently developing a simple navigation application that will run on Android phones and tablets with GPS capabilities. The display is similar to what you might find in commercial aircraft. Your current location is in the centre and the pre-loaded waypoints and track are displayed. In the example image, you would turn right to take up the track to YGAW. I'm curious as to what sort of interest there is in such an application considering there is Oz-Runways and cheap car GPS units that provide good navigation data. My app would be free! The current development is on my Windows 10 computer using Visual Studio for those that care...nav-scrn.PNG.edebaf82eb67f8e254168ee91130752f.PNG

• Like 9

If you go for a background, it may not be too difficult to scan and position WAC charts etc so you've got chart to ground scanning too, but just knowing which way to head until you can recognised something is a good start.

Wac, vtc etc will require some sort of commercial payment, this may negate any "free" app. Remember when we all used a Shell road map? It would work. Trying to find a free map system may be problematic.

Good luck Kev

The value of maps is (a) the WAC allows us to fly in three dimensions with altitude colours so we don't get caught up valleys etc. and (b) the VTC tells us where we should be at our location, also including altitude.

If those aren't available free of copyright, then I'd leave it as it is. The pilot should be carrying charts anyway.

• Like 1

Google maps may be free for "free" apps and limited downloads...

FAQ  |  Google Maps Platform  |  Google Developers

Google maps is not usless turbo. It will tell you where you are which you can reference to a physical WAC or whatever...

Any map is useless if you don't know where you are on it......

There needs to be "something" besides a black screen on the app.....

My app will not use a map. Doesn't need one. The user just loads in the way-points and follows the track. Ken, I applied for a 'key' that allows me to use Google maps on Android. The key unlocks the API (code) that programmers access to use the maps. upload_2018-7-10_17-50-49.png.2161e458f02ef2db57b44ba8fef8df56.png Downunder, this app has a black display as does mine. Looking carefully you can see 'something' other than a black screen. As I said, it's just something to keep the grey cells alive and improve my programming skill.

• Like 4

Jab7252 keep going the way your going it looks great. Simple is always good. It would make a fantastic backup. If you can get the internal GPS in the phone to be the source that would be a super backup. The biggest issue would be all the work in collating the waypoints for a list of airfields. Of course you should be able to enter them but if you had a good list that would make it excellent

Jab7252, your idea is good to see. When you are bored after achieving the result you wanted you might consider a facility to input alternates along the path. Good luck.

Well done jab 7252, keep at it as I think there will be a lot of flyers out there that want something simple to use and does the job

This app will only work if the phone or tablet has a GPS chip installed. It won't be using the phone network or WI-FI for location services so it could be used anywhere.

• Like 1

While I understand its an interesting project and is worth doing to keep brain cells working I am not sure that there is actually a need for a backup ? If you are using apps like OzRunways they allow you to load a copy on your phone as a backup as part of the subscription - including all the functions they offer.

Since the target audience would be those who are permitted to fly only in VMC conditions, then the absence of a map in the app would not be a worry. Use the app for overall direction and route information and the god ol' Eyeball Mk I for terrain avoidance.

If you plan to walk across a ploughed field, you only need to check your actual track to your planned track occasionally, but you have to look where you are going to put your foot every step of the way.

• Agree 1

Jab7252, Its a useful project and I would probably use it in place of my failing constellation of GPS

Currently I have to fallback to a Garmin90 because the last 3 GPS3 Pilots have all packed it in, the 90 display is similar to what you have and supplies situational awareness with distance and bearing to any selected waypoint. I carry a paper map but like to be able to give accurate position reports

For day VFR, on a small screen mapping is not helpful - with the GPS3 I would turn off all the airspace, roads etc. so I could see where I was going.....

My plan was to use a discarded smartphone (starting with Android 2.3 Gingerbread) but I havent been able to find a navigation app that is free / not trial /no ads that will do the job of the early 2 dimensional GPS style. I would attempt it myself but never seem to have a PC with enough power to install the emulator / ADK required. The reason I keep things free is there is no ongoing obligation to update (both from the developer and user perspective) and often apps that look like they will be suitable, are not so become a drain on time

If you have a blog detailing how you go about this I'd be interested too. I can compile in Fortran77 but its hard to start into app development when the tools dont have clear instructions to get started

Ralph

Currently I have to fallback to a Garmin90 because the last 3 GPS3 Pilots have all packed it in, the 90 display is similar to what you have and supplies situational awareness with distance and bearing to any selected waypoint. I carry a paper map but like to be able to give accurate position reports

It's good that someone comes out and gives us a bit of reality; someone previously mentioned that all three of their systems failed on the one flight.

Usually you can fudge it for a while until you see a recognisable landmark, or you may be flying in the Latrobe Valley where there are mountains to the north and sea to the south, but in some areas everything seems to look the same, and it's easy to mistake one landmark for another. It was during a Nav test, that I picked not only a hill plus a lake, but a railway line as well, and it just happened that there were two of those combinations just a few miles apart. On other occasions, low cloud or fog may obscure landmarks. In rough weather with the aircraft bouncing around, the last thing you want to be doing is reaching around trying to connect and boot up an electrical device, and hope it worked better than the last time.

If you also start to get low on fuel, the situation is elevated, and even reading from mp to ground can be very frustrating in open country. How much easier would it be to take out your phone and see simple bearings to your destination and maybe a couple of alternates to get you back on track.