NOTAM on Site

Admin

Hi all, please note that whilst healthy and friendly debate on any issue that may be raised is encouraged I (and moderators) will need to take a closer look at posts where a user is attacking another user for having a different opinion and start issuing warnings for a while until we can get on top of this...thank you for your understanding and please continue to enjoy the site

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 1

It is sad to see attacks on people for different views.

I often disagree with the views of others, but I also try to respect them. This site is not the only place it occurs as I notice some vitriol in the press about Margaret Court.

What she has said to bring down the vitriol is what nobody is allowed to say, because of political correctness, rather the same as Israel Folau.

• Like 2

Can we get politics and religion back off the site? We just lost e very informative thread after retaliation from a deliberate political slur which was left in place, and religious slurs like dog and doG do not belong on a site like this.

• Agree 1

1.   It is very hard to check the use of idioms that involve religious references when a lot of these references arise from either the first widely available books - King James Bible, or from colloquial usages of a  society in which religious observance was common - "saint's preserve", "God help us".  One must accept that the current use of these phrases does not imply any religious belief. They are just part and parcel of the way we talk. It is a sign of courteousness not to make a song and dance about the use of words and phrases that have long been in common parlance.

2. To advance a discussion to a conclusion, or consensus, it is necessary to "play the ball, not the man"? Such goings on will only make observers wander away, losing the audience for the discussion.

1.   It is very hard to check the use of idioms that involve religious references when a lot of these references arise from either the first widely available books - King James Bible, or from colloquial usages of a  society in which religious observance was common - "saint's preserve", "God help us".  One must accept that the current use of these phrases does not imply any religious belief. They are just part and parcel of the way we talk. It is a sign of courteousness not to make a song and dance about the use of words and phrases that have long been in common parlance.

I don't think "dog" is a hard one to identify.