NZ Glider towing challenge

So, why is the descent rate for the Eurofox so high?

The Eurofox using the 912 rotax is liquid cooled and not subject to shock cooling like the Pawnee. After glider release and reducing the rpm to 4000rpm and a speed of 95knt decent rate for the Eurofox is around 2000ft/min.

The Eurofox using the 912 rotax is liquid cooled and not subject to shock cooling like the Pawnee. After glider release and reducing the rpm to 4000rpm and a speed of 95knt decent rate for the Eurofox is around 2000ft/min.

Great. Looking at the table the descent rate of the Eurofox is the main contributor to its good time.

Interesting - in fact our local gliding club here in Canterbury has recently dispensed with its Eurofox - not up to the job apparently. They have replaced it with a Dynamic.

Interesting - in fact our local gliding club here in Canterbury has recently dispensed with its Eurofox - not up to the job apparently. They have replaced it with a Dynamic.

Really. How so?

Not sure of the precise reasons but I think the time to altitude took too long.

Did they only have the 80 hp Rotax? The 100 hp 912 ULS is the best option. I'm told this engine/aircraft combo is capable of towing gliders up to 750 Kg.

Premium Mogas is more economical too, I would think.

• Like 1