Offshore to Oz, thanks to Colaundra's pilots & the 'new' RAF

It's a pleasure to be back. Just before departing from the U.S. for the South Pacific aboard our yacht, I made contact with several folks here who were flying out of Colaundra's aerodrome. The next year, after clearing in, I was able to visit the airport and meet some of those pilots, and learn more about how regulated the GA flying is in Oz but also how it is nevertheless full of enthusiasm and a 'can do' spirit. I still remember that visit well, from a group of 10 owners of an almost new Skyfox to a just completed RV10, if memory serves. I'm hoping to return to Bris (timing uncertain, as you can imagine...) and so I thought it would be good fun to reconnect with all of you here.

And BTW you might not be familiar with the Recreational Aviation Foundation (the 'new' RAF I referred to above) but it's worth a look. www.theraf.org It's an aviation charity I've been involved with for many years, it's main goal being to expand recreational access by aircraft to backcountry areas that have recreational appeal (so think national forests, federally owned lands, state forests, etc.). Basically, it's about 'public access', but with aircraft vs. a backpack or RV. We also maintain existing backcountry airstrips and have created new ones by partnering with government agencies. It's always struck me that Australia would benefit by an initiative of this kind, given your large land mass and geographical diversity. Anything like that happening in Oz and meeting with success?

Jack Tyler

SEL IFR ~1300 hrs PIC

• Like 1

Good Grief!

Going into National Parks!!! What is that environmental rapist thinking? National Parks are there to preserve our unique environments for the people. We just haven't worked out which people they are being preserved for.

I have witnessed an aircraft, landing at Dalhousie springs campsite, using the NP airstrip.

Flew from Archer field to Dalhousie, then to the Pink Road house for fuel, then straight across the Lake back home.

Gave me a phone cabll after his ans her,s safe arrival.

spacesailor

PS but was it legal ?

After you work at it for a while, federal and state agencies begin to realize, with their limited budgets, they actually need you. Case in point, the RAF and the National Park Service signed a Letter of Agreement (LOA) for the RAF to maintain the Chicken Strip airfield at the Death Valley National Park. It's a very desirable destination during the winter time since natural hot springs can be walked to. And the road trip by car is 4+ hours each way on a very rough road. We have other agreements with both the Bureau of Land Management and the U. S. Forest Service, these two agencies managing public lands that are the equivalent in land area to 26 U.S. states. None of these agencies were receptive to these kinds of arrangements when we started, so it does take both time & patience to convince them a partnership makes sense.

• Like 4

Good Grief!

Going into National Parks!!! What is that environmental rapist thinking? National Parks are there to preserve our unique environments for the people. We just haven't worked out which people they are being preserved for.

Our children.

After you work at it for a while, federal and state agencies begin to realize, with their limited budgets, they actually need you. Case in point, the RAF and the National Park Service signed a Letter of Agreement (LOA) for the RAF to maintain the Chicken Strip airfield at the Death Valley National Park. It's a very desirable destination during the winter time since natural hot springs can be walked to. And the road trip by car is 4+ hours each way on a very rough road. We have other agreements with both the Bureau of Land Management and the U. S. Forest Service, these two agencies managing public lands that are the equivalent in land area to 26 U.S. states. None of these agencies were receptive to these kinds of arrangements when we started, so it does take both time & patience to convince them a partnership makes sense.

Jack I like the concept of a private, not-for-profit group working with public land managers. As others in here have hinted, there exists among some bureaucrats in Australia a culture of control above all else.

They seem to resist surrendering any of their powers to mere taxpayers, let alone to recreational groups.

There are plenty of valid reasons for this, given some of the thoughtless, even deliberate damage done to our nature spots in the past.

Let's face it, most of Australia has been knocked around pretty badly since 1788; most of our forests have been cleared and we have the highest rate of extinction and it's getting worse. Our National Parks should be managed to ensure remaining wild places and wild species survive. Unfortunately, a significant minority of ignorant people can't be trusted to respect these areas, hence the barriers to 4WD vehicles, etc.

There is hope, however. Private conservation groups have bought several large pastoral holdings across the nation and are rehabilitating them. They need all the money and assistance they can get. Who knows, maybe they would be more amenable to approaches from recreational flyers?

https://www.environment.gov.au/land/nrs/getting-involved/conservation-organisations

• Like 1

4x4 clubs were working with NP management to keep those parks open to responsible people,

But the High up Bureaucracy deemed it not in Their interests.

Most they can do now is Clean allocated roads.

One polly wants to lock all NP away from the public, and only available for pollies and Card carrying people.

spacesailor

4x4 clubs were working with NP management to keep those parks open to responsible people,

But the High up Bureaucracy deemed it not in Their interests.

Most they can do now is Clean allocated roads.

One polly wants to lock all NP away from the public, and only available for pollies and Card carrying people.

spacesailor

Spacey do you have verifiable evidence of this?

Welcome Jack. You have started off a rant about National Parks. In Aus they are different from US and also Uk. In the UK you can live and work in a National Park, run a farm for example. Not sure about in USA. In Australia or specifically Qld it seems Nat Parks are for the shutting up of anything not native to Australia, for example excluding honey bees and Brumbies, but allowing weeds free range for example Lantana. For those things they recognise as pests, such as pigs it seems to be do a half hearted attempt to control, then give up.

Am I correct in assuming you are back in Arizona?

...In the UK you can live and work in a National Park, run a farm for example...

It's my understanding that traditional land uses, that the park ecosystem has adapted to over many centuries, are allowed- just like they are in Aust.

...Australia or specifically Qld it seems Nat Parks are for the shutting up of anything not native to Australia, for example excluding honey bees and Brumbies, but allowing weeds free range for example Lantana. For those things they recognise as pests, such as pigs it seems to be do a half hearted attempt to control, then give up.

I do agree with that last sentence, Yenn. We should be doing much more, but donor-pleasing projects like brand new footy stadiums seem to be higher on governments' priorities.

Plenty of people like me would be happy to help eradicate cats, foxes, pigs, etc.

• Like 1