Oil cooler leak

derekliston

I have a Drivetech 0555-331015 oil cooler on my Jabiru engine and it appears to be leaking from the base of one of the threaded inlet/outlet bosses. Can anyone on here tell me whether these bosses screw into the cooler body or are permanently fixed eg swaged?

4A1DD228-D601-46C4-A9F8-57155CB92337.thumb.jpeg.1ccb21874fc44d6aa03cdd06976446eb.jpeg

I recall this was a common problem. Not sure if your version is the type though. Going back a while.

The oil pump produces very high pulses of pressure and the coolers can fatigue, crack and fail

I believe they were replaced with another type however also the operating pressures are much reduced on hydraulic engines too.

Not enough thickness in the cooler tank to screw something in without a reinforced piece being  there. It would be welded (in a vacuum) or swaged. This is a general comment . I don't have specific knowledge of that item. Nev

Thanks for the responses. As a LAME I am familiar with most of the aeronautical coolers, just not familiar with the automotive part used on the four cylinder Jabiru. I have bought a new one, just curious whether they are repairable.

Not enough thickness in the cooler tank to screw something in without a reinforced piece being  there. It would be welded (in a vacuum) or swaged. This is a general comment . I don't have specific knowledge of that item. Nev

Yes, they are generally manufactured with the boss in place. Repair could cost more than a replacement cooler and there would be no guarantee it would not fail again or more likely, fail in another spot.

This is a very interesting and timely post. On the weekend I started the Jab engine and ran it for about 7 mins to warm up. An oil leak appeared from the oil cooler adapter beneath the oil filter. The leak was not from the base of the filter nor the facing to the crank case. It appeared to be from the nipples attaching the flow and return hoses to the oil cooler. When I had wiped it down and then re-ran it there was no oil leak. I assume that the oil was thick and the pressure was high leading to weeping from the hose/nipple joint.

I recall this was a common problem. Not sure if your version is the type though. Going back a while.The oil pump produces very high pulses of pressure and the coolers can fatigue, crack and fail

I believe they were replaced with another type however also the operating pressures are much reduced on hydraulic engines too.

Perhaps a Pulsation Dampener would help in these engines? http://www.essexindustries.com/products/hydraulic-pulsation-dampeners/