Certificate Test

Guest Prometheus

Guest Prometheus

G'day all....

Getting closer to doing the Flight Test for my Pilot Certificate.

Can anyone share there experiences, views etc....

I'd like to get a feel of what's expected, what you go through and how you studied/didn't study.

Cheers

Guest Guest

Don't stress over it. Treat it like any other lesson. If you weren't ready for it, you probably wouldn't be up for the test because the instructor wouldn't waste his time. Fly like you normally do; expect an engine failure in flight and a glide approach. Instructors often like to pull the power overhead and airfield that you don't know is actually below you, so keep your eyes open. You'll be fine. Good luck.

Good Luck Dave and as Nosmo says, just treat it like any other flight and remember to simply relax - let us know how you go and if you pass the forum rules are you have to put the beer on for every forum member

Guest Ken deVos

Dave, same comments and encouragement as those above.

It was common practice during my training to leave the fuel valve open after every flight. I got caught out by not doing a thorough prestart check. The previous pilot just happened to close the valve before jumping out to hand over to me.

I managed to start up, taxi all the way way to the fuel point, refuel, then taxi half way back to the apron to pick up the CFI before she conked. Very embarrasing then not being able to restart the motor without the CFI calmly advising me to check the fuel valve - and I still do suspect the CFI had ahand in it!

Good luck

Ken.

Guest Guest

Ken, surely Brett isn't that cunning....???? or is he perhaps.....?????

I've been caught with that before on a Jab. Seems that some students turn it off and some don't, it just depends on who you jump in after and if you're in the right hand seat and you can't see it, it does make it hard to notice which is why the pre-flight is so important.

Even with 1,000+ hours I jumped in a Jab recently and forgot to turn the mags on and wondered why it wouldn't start and I'm not even blonde.

Guest Ken deVos

Hi Nosmo, thought that would flush out a comment from you

No, actually'twas Ray and we then had a discussion on how long the motor would keep going after I lined up at the threshold and took off.

I'm heartened to hear these things don't only happen to me - I've also left the mags off

Cheers

Ken. Ken deVos

Hi Dave

Make sure you have your "Checklists" in order! You will know the sequences that you are likely to be put through...Because that is what you have been training for...! It's important and a "MUST" to not only recite a Checklist but pysically "do the action". For example it wouldn't be the first time that a student has called "Fuel on and Sufficient" without actually checking that the Tap is on...! So my advice is work on your Checklists OK Dave! Good luck, relax and have fun!

Best Regards

Ed Ed Herring

way back in the day of my PPL flight test, i was almost snagged by the old match in the pitot trick,

i missed it in the initial walk around, then i jumod inside, flicked the master on and exited to check the stall warning vane, just as i turned to walk back to the cocpit door, i noticed a little red dot in the head of the pitot, i took it out, and continued as normal..

though i always wondered if the CFI knew if i found the matchstick, and if not, was he nevervous as we lined up for take off and surprised to see the ASI come alive as it should.?

Guest Prometheus

Thanks guys for your words of wisdom...

Will let you know how it all goes. Checklists I can do in my sleep, which is a good thing. Although I could be caught out by two same model aircraft on the line having two slightly diffrent checklists. We'll see!

Thanks again and will shout you all a "Virtual" pot of the liquid amber!