Texan TC

Ed Herring

Hi All

OurFly Synthesis http://www.flysynthesis.com.au Texan TCis all we expectedher to be...Take off and landing performance is very impressive. The performance figures are just as the book said it would be! Well done to the Italian Factory! Now that we have a Texan Users Group up and running we can share the experience!

Best Regards

Ed

Guest Prometheus

Nice Work! She's a nice A/C allright.

Any news on the weight issue. From what I understand the Texan's 'built' to 600kgs but limited to 454kgs due to category restrictions.

I'd like to see the Texan go to 554kgs..... She's more than capable of it!

"Extract from the August 2006Pacific Flyer Magazine"

"FLY SYNTHESIS, manufacturers of the carbon-fibre Texan and composite Storch sports plane are pleased to announce that the NZCAA have recently accepted the registrations of the Texan Top Class and the Storch S.

Furthermore the TEXAN is allowed to fly to the MTOW of 544 kg, the current gross maximum weight allowable in the New Zealand microlight class.

Whilst the factory built Texan has been designed for a MTOW of 600 kg, current Australian rules only allow the Texan to be flown to a MTOW of 454 kg or 476 if fitted with a Ballistic parachute.

The exception being the Kit built Texan that is permitted to fly at a MTOW of 544 kg in Australia.

Caz Monteleone, the importer of the Fly Synthesis Range www.flysynthesis.com.au say's "The Factory is comitted to the new LSA and expects in time to see most of their range come under the LSA category.

The first Aircraft to meet the LSA will probably be the Texan Top Class with a MTOW of 600 kg followed by the Storch Amphibian"........"

My guess is that the weight increase in Australia is just around the corner....Dave, i am enjoying your Blogger website and its been good following your progress. Keep having fun Mate! Now you can post some of your experiences on the Texan Users Group!

Best Regards

Ed

Ed Herring

I had a fly of the Texan TC a couple of days ago here at Port Macquarie - thanks again Ian!

Very impressed with its performance and docile behaviour through the flight envelope. Very windy and gusty conditions prevented a more thorough workout, but I was certainly able to admire it behaviour in the challenging conditions.

I like the high seating, and the resulting excellent visibility. I found that I kept holding climb attitude because the level flight attitude is so much lower than I am used to (Foxbat and C172).

All in all a VERY nice aircraft to fly and, with the composite construction, appealing in a humid and salty environment.

A couple of things I would change in my own aircraft. The manual trim lever is awkward and prone to inadvertent movement. The hand operated brake under the throttle makes a one-armed wallpaper hanger look lazy during taxi, and the well shaped seats call out for sheepskin covers.

Apart from those minor niggles, I was VERY impressed.

Hmm, now to convince the Cook and the accountant.

Cheers

Gregg

Guest Prometheus

Gregg,

The versions we have here in Sunbury have electric trim controlled via hat switches on the control column. I agree with the brake issue, it's so much like a GA aircraft it should really have differential toe brakes.

I wonder if there's a version out there that does?

On another issue with the Texan... I've noticed there are no FS models out there to practice on so I've downloaded the Tecnam Sierra, tweaked the acf.cfg file to match the performance and weight of the texan and using a photo of the panel created a Texan Panel.

She handles fairly close to the real thing. If anyone who flies a Texan wants the files I'd be only too happy the send them to you. The only draw back is when you view the Aircraft from the outside while you're flying you KNOW it's NOT a Texan!

Prometheus

Hi Dave

I have found that your perception of the hand brake issue is not a problem when the lock nut is used properly on the throttle as it frees up your hand. In fact the braking operation is much smoother than some other types when the "student" lifts his/her heels off the floor to use the toe brakes and the resultant twitchy taxi! Just my opinion! And yes the electric trim is definatelythe way to go!

Regards

Ed

Guest Guest

Hi Prometheus,

I learned in the Texan at Sunbury earlier this year, and would love the FS files if you wouldn't mind sending them to me. Sadly, I've saddled myself with a mortgage so can't afford to fly very often these days - maybe an accurate FS model will be a close substitute.

Did they end up getting the new Texan out there? I started in the first one (4259), with the manual trim controls, then changed over to 4442 with the electric trim - they were talking about getting a new one on the line the last time I was there.

jcostab

Guest Prometheus

Jcostab,

4259 is gone... whereabouts unknown by me. 4523 and 4442 are on line at Sunbury now, although 4442 may be gone by year end. Sad too she's the pick of the two.

Maybe a successor coming on line for 4442.

I'm in the process of improving the FS panel detail, once it's done I'll send you the files. PM me your Email address and I'll sent them to you by weeks end.

;)

Guest Guest
Jcostab, 4259 is gone... whereabouts unknown by me. 4523 and 4442 are on line at Sunbury now, although 4442 may be gone by year end. Sad too she's the pick of the two.

I'm in the process of improving the FS panel detail, once it's done I'll send you the files. PM me your Email address and I'll sent them to you by weeks end.

;)

Thanks Prometheus, I'll get the PM to you straight away... I look forward to having a fly of the Texan again by the end of the week - even if it is a computer generated one:keen:

4442 really was a nice plane, although it had it's share of glitches when it was new. Is Brian selling it, or just taking it off line?

jcostab

Guest Prometheus

Selling from what I hear, may be headed for a home in QLD. 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif

I'll be sad to see her go! I'd buy her myself if I had the money or could raise the moneyvia a syndicate, but alas that's not to be. 068_angry.gif.cc43c1d4bb0cee77bfbafb87fd434239.gif

Hopefully the successor is just as nice.

Guest Guest

Yeah, it will be sad to see her go. I spent just over 30 hours in it, which I'll never forget. Hopefully they get a nice replacement.

Hi All

It's great to see Monty's post on the Forum with such great news about the Texan LSA. ( Texan LSA is here )

( "Hi Everyone, great to see so much positive comments about the Texan.

Your suggestions and perceptions are being listened too and relayed back to the factory. Indeed each new plane is better than the last.

This is my first post so expect many more as we gear up for for the spring flying season.

I have great news re:LSA, the factory has advised me that they are now ready to take orders for Texan LSA aircraft. The LSA Texanhas a design weight of 640 kg.

A press release will be issued shortly to announce this big step!

Happy flying

Caz Monteleone

Importer." )

Well done Caz as i am aware of your hard work towards making this happen in Australia.

Best Regards

Ed Ed Herring

I like your spin Ed, that the handbrake "problem" is only a misconception, but I'm sorry it just won't wash. The handbrake definitely sucks.

Differential toe brakes would transform the aircraft's ground handling for (should be) only a minor additional cost.

During my second Texan flight last week, I flew from the right seat. Much nicer, for me. I prefer the stick in my right hand, and the minor controls in my left hand. If (when?) I have my own Texan, I shall set up key instruments on the right and configure for right-seat piloting. No law against it that I know of.

Actually, there is a photo of the right hand drive Texan config on the Fly Synthesis website. At first I thought the photo had been flipped, but then I saw all the instruments read correctly.

If those egg-beater drivers can do it from the right, so can we.

Cheers

Gregg

Hi Gregg

Even i remember what i thought of the Jabiru hand brake in the very early 90's afterthe C172! But after many hours in the Jabi i have actually got to like it a lot! So you see to me the Texan hand brake presents no problem! And the more you fly it the more you will like it!

Regards

Ed

• 4 months later...

Hi Texan Pilots

Do we have any updates on our Texan experiences lately? 4618 in performing well and pretty busy at YMBD. I flew her to the SAC www.sportaircraft.org.au annual fly in at Waikerie in October. Great fly in and good weather with lots to do including the flood re-enactment. Waikerie is a great venue with lots of friendly people.

Regards

Ed

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Prometheus
Hi Texan PilotsDo we have any updates on our Texan experiences lately? 4618 in performing well and pretty busy at YMBD. I flew her to the SAC www.sportaircraft.org.au annual fly in at Waikerie in October. Great fly in and good weather with lots to do including the flood re-enactment. Waikerie is a great venue with lots of friendly people.

Regards

Ed

Ed,

Haven't flown since late November 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif. A 3 week outback adventure (N.T.), Christmas, and the bushfires (limiting VFR) have kept me grounded. Will try for a flight this Friday - weather permitting;)

• 3 months later...
Jcostab, 4259 is gone... whereabouts unknown by me. 4523 and 4442 are on line at Sunbury now, although 4442 may be gone by year end. Sad too she's the pick of the two.

;)

Jacostab,

4259 is operating in Emerald, Central Qld. She treated me to my fist solo.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Prometheus
Hi Dave,if it's not too much trouble do you still have the FS model you tweaked, and if so may I have a copy?

I've upgraded to FSX and in the process lost the work I did.

I'm actually not that happy with FSX's performance on my PC and will go back to FS9. Once that's done I'll get the Texan and it's panel back.

Will post it's availability soon. Watch this space!