Piel Emerald

nomadpete

Hi, I'm enquiring on behalf of a friend who has a Piel Emerald/Emerald.

Due to an unfortunate taxying incident where a wheel dropped into an unmarked hole (concealed by grass) he has broken the main spar. Does anybody know where a wing or spar might be languishing in the back of a hangar?

Also, he is seeking a copy of plans to enable rebuilding the aircraft.

Thanks in anticipation,

Any lead will be appreciated.

Peter

• Haha 1

It's a mid 60's plane, fairly heavy (very nice lines) wooden plane usually with a Continental O-200 engine. Before you start I would re evaluate the whole project as to condition for the entire airframe and the requirements to the engine . There are AD's on the carburettor and the magnetos will have to be done and check the engine condition if it's been sitting long. The accessories case is magnesium and may be corroded. It should be passivated and corrosion protected.

The old spar should give you a lot of information and you may end up with the fabric off the other wing I wouldn't be surprised if the spar goes all the way through.. A repair should be possible though but naturally it would want to be well done.. I don't know what glue was used originally. Look carefully before you start the project. It's always much more work and money than you thought (hoped). Nev

Nev, the aircraft was airworthy at the time of the incident, it was only a couple of months ago. The motor was zero hour rebuilt shortly before that, but due to the prop strike will have to be stripped down.

Yes, it has a one piece spar. The fabric is the least of his worries. Weight just fits into RAA registration and changing from GA was part of the plan.

The reason for posting is to try to find a wing, spar, or even an old aircraft in order to reduce the amount of work involved.

• Caution 1

Hi, I'm enquiring on behalf of a friend who has a Piel Emerald/Emerald.Due to an unfortunate taxying incident where a wheel dropped into an unmarked hole (concealed by grass) he has broken the main spar. Does anybody know where a wing or spar might be languishing in the back of a hangar?

Also, he is seeking a copy of plans to enable rebuilding the aircraft.

Thanks in anticipation,

Any lead will be appreciated.

Peter

Hi, really sorry to hear about the problem with the Em.. If you wish, I'd suggest you come join a Yahoo group called Emerauders which is all about the Piel designed planes. We have members all over the world and this would be your best shot.

Yahoo! Groups

should point you somewhere in the right direction... We have restricted membership to keep out spammers however I am one of the group mods.

On a brighter note I believe that occasionally this has happened before and that spar may be reparable, it may not. I sincerely hope it is.

The plans spar is a one piece unit box structure approximately 30 feet long. There is a 3 piece modified spar design put out by Falconar of Canada and this is a fairly common unit although to tell the truth, I don't have any idea how you would dismount the ribs from the existing box spar and false rear. The L/G attachment has always been an issue and I expect there are some work arounds...

For plans..If you're in N. America these may be purchased from the daughter of Gene Littner (she monitors the Em group but I cannot recall her name) from Montreal, Quebec Canada. If you are outside N America I have no idea what to tell you.

all the best,

///Gene Cockrell

• Like 1
  • Helpful 2
  • Informative 1

1963 That's not yesterday. ( for a wooden plane).??????????????????? what the hell does that mean? A wooden aircraft from '63 is very likely in better condition that an aluminium one of the same age. And definitely better than a composite one.

Fox4, thank you. I'll definitely be following that lead up.

Matkproa and Ivor, thanks. Well try to get at least a wing portion of plans.

DWF, I'm looking up Dales details. Thanks

Thank you all!

They need to be kept away from the elements and moisture. High humidity. Also some glues and the quality of the process need careful inspection in older planes made of wood..The idea they last forever is not correct. Some timbers rot. . Even rats eat the vital parts... Nev

RESORCINOL RP51Hsystem is recommended for interior or exterior applications where a durable, strong, waterproof wood to woodbond is required. The bond formed with

RESORCINOL R15 RESIN is capable of with-standing continuous or intermittent exposure to cold or boiling water, elevated temperature, mould and fungus attack, and common organic solvents

That is from the manufacturer. Yes a wooden aircraft needs to be Hanagared and Tropical climates are dodgy. BUT under those ( normal) circumstances a wood aircraft has an exceedingly long life....

• Agree 2
  • Caution 1

Dale Castle, retired LAME, has one. VH-EME. At Wentworth NSW (near Mildura). He may be able to help.

Dale can be reached on 0350272567 , last I heard someone in I think Melbourne wanted it but not sure if the deal went through. Possibly had updated wing? Good luck.

• Informative 1

1963 That's not yesterday. ( for a wooden plane).??????????????????? what the hell does that mean? A wooden aircraft from '63 is very likely in better condition that an aluminium one of the same age. And definitely better than a composite one.

Depending on the glue used in the construction, Resorcinol was commonly used in the 60's and 70's but its life could be somewhat suspect after 40+ years. I recently considered buying a Piel Emeraude (often called an Emerald, but incorrectly named), but it was also built in the 70's and a very experienced plane builder suggested that glue was probably getting to the end of its useful life. The one I flew performed very nicely. I hope it can be repaired and flying again

Dear Oh Dear! Where some of you blokes get your information from is quite beyond me. I believe it must come to some in dreams. RESORCINOL was bought into common use in 1943. So, according to some of our posters all the wooden aircraft from just after the war should have started to fall out of the sky ( with glue joint failure) by the mid-eighties, But no, that hasn't happened. Not at all. In the case of Jodel, none. ( I haven't researched others) And here we are almost ANOTHER fourty years later, Jodel's STILL not falling apart from glue failure? How can that be? The bloke above says "but its life could be somewhat suspect after 40+ years." .............F######G nonsense. What do you base that statement on? Intuition?

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for the leads. It's amazing what is out there. We have located a possible replacement wing, but nothing is certain.

Does anybody know whether a CAP10b has the same wing and wing mount as the Piel Emeraude? The aircraft look the same.