Pilot Mistakes Road For Runway

Guest davidh10

Clearly he didn't check the windsock or signalling circle. IMHO, the two locations, as seen on the Google Earth image aren't even vaguely similar.

Spent a couple of weeks in Alaska in a spot where many of the locals owned aircraft, it wasn't an airpark just a regular suburb of the city but there were signs on the residential streets that cars had to give way to aircraft and a community runway was nearby which crossed a street and ran between some houses, plus a lake for the floatplanes. Quite unusual to see aircraft taxiing up fairly narrow streets past houses. Gotta watch out for the stray pets I guess.

Perth airport used to be a trap for the unwary - especially at night and in showery wx. The old Forrestfield railway yards used to be just east of the airport, and were aligned 03/21. The huge lighting towers were much more obvious on approach towards 03 or 21 directions than the runway lights. I know that I emerged from above one July night and began to slide 'over' towards the better set of lights. The Localiser needle gave the lie to that, but visually it was a compelling scene. Rumour has it that Garuda nearly got to flare height - but then, in the 70's, they also ended up out at Cunderdin!

happy days,

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...