PLB’s

Who is carrying a PLB with them and what are you using? I decided to go with one of these purely from a “bang for buck” point of view. Plus nice and small and simple to use. But interested to see what else is out there? ACR ResQLink 400 Personal Locating Beacon

Guest Machtuk

Here's a tip.

Sit in yr cockpit and see what you can reach with one arm only, either one. You will be surprised at just how restrictive it can be if you are upside down hanging by yr seat belt/s with a severely dislocated/broken arm. I have my crash axe/survivable tool, torch, water, Mob Ph and PLB within reach whilst severely trapped with one arm useless!

GME - lives in aircraft within easy reach (but I take the point about being upside down with a broken arm). Part of my passenger briefing is to tell about the PLB and how to activate it. Hope it is never used.

Was GME until 7yr battery expiry date approached. Would have cost more than a new one to have replacement battery fitted. Bought a 10yr battery KTI for less, still meets the same regulatory requirements. Go figure?

Was GME until 7yr battery expiry date approached. Would have cost more than a new one to have replacement battery fitted. Bought a 10yr battery KTI for less, still meets the same regulatory requirements. Go figure?

Same for me...got the KTI now.

I've had the misfortune to need one at very short notice. The device needs to be super simple to operate as trying to push buttons when your specs are no longer attached to your nose ain't much fun. A couple of things I learnt from AMSAR after our little incident was that some PLBs are not GPS equipped and they are next to useless. With GPS AMSAR have your position locked typically within 3 minutes to 100 metres accuracy. Without GPS takes up to three passes of the satellite over 4.5 hours and then only provides your position to within 5 km. The difference between the cheapest and most expensive is less than $100. In our case we had a GME and 20 minutes after activation a Virgin RPT was overhead and rescue chopper arrived 2 hours later. Would have been a very long day had the authorities had to search for us. Another victim of Jabiru's engines.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

You need to post over in the Jab engine thread....they want to hear from people who had operated them.

The incident was several years ago and was properly reported at the time to RA Aus and CASA, including the subsequent investigation of engine fault, which in our case was a faulty circlip on an exhaust valve, which allowed the valve to drop down on top of the piston. Engine then started making horrible groaning noises, before going mute.

PLB lives in that pouch on my belt (glasses for scale) I should be able to extract it from there and it will easily come with me if I need to get out in a hurry....

.86C9CCE2-8104-47F8-B176-8797858E7EB6.thumb.jpeg.8f3fb07959d5ac31376d0de7b2805d56.jpeg

The saying I’ve seen and heard many a time is - What your wearing is your survival kit. What’s stored about the aircraft is your camping kit.

Wear it or loose it.

Years ago I had a minor landing prang a long way from anywhere. When the plot had stopped moving all I could smell were fuel (Tanks intact - Fuel had spurted out both vents) Standing well back from the aircraft I recall thinking that starting from the point of smelling fuel, and all that goes with that thought, that the ‘exit’ were that quick I didn’t even think about it, let alone grab anything on the way out.

The saying I’ve seen and heard many a time is - What your wearing is your survival kit. What’s stored about the aircraft is your camping kit.

Wear it or loose it...

I agree. Once you escape a pranged aeroplane you may not have the option of going back.

I religiously wear my GPS-equipped GME on my belt and sometimes practise ripping the pouch open and simulate deploring the aerial.

I also carry it when bushwalking and motorcycling.

One aspect not often discussed: a PLB is useless unless you activate it; don't assume that every emergency gives you an opportunity.

A crash-activated beacon is a whole other animal.

One more thing: don't discard a used beacon. When the battery is on its last legs some units are programmed to start transmitting. I know volunteers who've spent all day responding to an alert, only to find the offending item buried in a garbage dump.

Here's a tip.

Sit in yr cockpit and see what you can reach with one arm only, either one. You will be surprised at just how restrictive it can be if you are upside down hanging by yr seat belt/s with a severely dislocated/broken arm. I have my crash axe/survivable tool, torch, water, Mob Ph and PLB within reach whilst severely trapped with one arm useless!

Hey Mach,

a really great suggestion regarding your cockpit and having survival equipment close to hand in an emergency, it's something that I had not given a lot of thought to, probably due to my choice of aircraft, but something that would need good consideration for pilots of fixed wing aircraft. For me, my KTI was always on my arm, in supplied holder, attached to lanyard around my neck with aerial out and ready to use if required, with my plan being to activate it prior to landing, that way it was going and I would be located regardless of my physical condition.

Sadly it is no longer an issue as I have made the choice not to fly due to a non fatal medical issue over the past 6 months, which at this stage appears to be ongoing unfortunately. So to everyone out there, regardless of what you fly or where you fly it, be courteous to each other, enjoy the fellowship of being air men and women whilst doing something that is a privilege to be a part of. But most of all, don't take it for granted and enjoy every day you get to have as much air as possible between your bum and the earth.

God Bless.

• Like 1