Power line markers

Anyone had a go at putting those orange balls on power lines , what’s involved, cost, I’m with powercor and a bit terrified what they will charge , the balls cost $600 for three, 

How high AGL are the wires? You can buy those RotaMark rotating ones for around $160 each, and they can be installed from ground level with a hotstick, so any L2 ASP should be able to do it for you for their hourly rate.

• Informative 1

A L2 ASP is a Level 2 Accredited Service Provider - basically a Sparkie who can work on the network infrastructure, as opposed to simple electrical stuff inside your house. You can buy them (the markers, not Sparkies ?) from the link in my previous post, or probably the manufacturer directly, and yes, they simply clamp around the wires.

• Informative 1

Don't stand too high on the back of a high cattle truck - treat HT powerlines with the great respect they deserve. HT current can jump huge distances, and you need to keep at least 4 metres away from powerlines up to 33kV and 6 metres away from 66kV and above.

Know of at least one bloke who got fried by resting his hand on a semi-trailer tipper body, as he guided the truck driver lifting the tip body under 132kV HT powerlines.

Thought he could get within a metre and half of the HT powerline safely, but when the tip body got to 2M away from the HT powerline, the current arced to the tipper body, and the bloke resting his hand on the body provided the route to Earth. He survived, but not without serious burns.

Cost me $2400 total to get 3 on my powerline going across the southern end of my 2 strips. I got 2 on one strip and 1 of the other. Bloody robbers. It was Ergon where I am. I used to work for SEQEB now called Energex. And yes they charged me 600 for the 3 plastic balls as well at the time but that was about 5 years ago now. $1900 to fit. Mine is a SWER line

A L2 ASP is a Level 2 Accredited Service Provider - basically a Sparkie who can work on the network infrastructure, as opposed to simple electrical stuff inside your house. You can buy them (the markers, not Sparkies ?) from the link in my previous post, or probably the manufacturer directly, and yes, they simply clamp around the wires.

Looks like the way to go , thanks for that, l know a few sparkies hopefully one can do it, do they use the same rod  to replace the fuses on the pole 

Only Ergon could fit the balls. They use a live line cherry picker to do it. The SWER line is 11kv.  Those spinner ones I saw for the first time only a week or two ago. They have them on the LV at Archer Falls. I can ask Doug Field who put them up but usually certainly up here in gods own country (QLD ? ) you can just work on the network it all has to be done via the control rooms.

LV  415V 3 phase... but most likely 2 phase plus neutral if it feeds the Dairy

3 wires only it would be 11KV and then it goes to a transformer which drops it down to 415v 3 phase or 2 phase. You can usually tell by the size of the insulators

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I have to get some more on the other powerlines on the farm now I am opening up from strips to a wide airfield arrangement. The "twirly-gig" ones are very good but you do need more of them. Ron Field has them on his street side powerlines at his airstrip..they really stand out. I am looking at getting those put on the north/south powerline

https://www.ergon.com.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0010/488152/EGE190718-lual-industry-brochure-marking-powerlines-DL.pdf

https://myshopngo.com.au/product/rotamarka-mini-3d-vane-red-white-aerial-warning-marker/

Thanks for that, Mark. My video clip of those little twirly gigs failed to upload.

I found them on some powerlines on the Liverpool Plains, where ag aircraft regularly spray.

From the ground they sure get your attention, so I assume that would also apply to pilots.