Pro Tech Merlin ( from the Czech Republic )

On the second day iof our Fly-in today, the most interesting Beastie was a ProTech Merlin.  An ALL Metal single seat deregulated aeroplane which was absolutely Gorgeous. . I have pictures, but this stupid Bloody Windows Ten upgrade I've got refuses to read any of my UsB sticks. . .I am on the verge of dumping it and swapping to Debian / Linux.

The aircraft is, regrettably, single seat, and weighs in at 300Kgs. . .  I hop that the company produce a 2 seat version which would fit nicely into the UK 600 Kg slot, or probably somewhat less. ,  It looked remarkably like a Jabiru as it entered the overhead today.   It is powered by a Rotax 582 inverted, oil injected 2 stroke, and it cruises at a comfortable 90 MPH.

I'll have another bash at the pics I took and see if I can bamboozle Win 10, , ,

##EDIT. . .here's their website. . 

http://digitalpilotschool.com/check-out-the-tech-pro-merlin-ssdr-single-seat-aircraft/

I don't fancy one,. . .as I love to take people flying with me, especially those who've never flown before. . . .

As far as I can recollect,. . I have been indirectly responsible for over fifty people, achieving the highest Human accolade,. . of being a Bird Person. . . Five of whom are now active RPT crew.

I had a lovely reunion this afternoon, with a chap I infected with the flying bug in 1984. . . He told me that he almost went broke paying for flight training, ending up as an AFI on GA, but had to pack it in due to a heart prob in the 1990s and introduced me to his Grand Daughter, and her Mum, who is working as a pilot on turbine Bushplanes in Africa, with some sort of world food programme charity, and his eldest Son used to work as a Helicopter pilot for a News service in the U.S.  Flying can be highly infectious. . .I apologised of course. . .

They now live near Mombasa and were visiting relatives who live not far from the airfield where I first Took him Flying in a Warrior . . .( Tatenhill - EGBM )

Another good Fly-in,. .ie, no crashes,. . Nobody Killed, although the wind suddenly picked up late in the PM and our Beer tent marquee was blown over, just missing a parked Eurostar aircraft. .  .

Happy Dayz.

• Like 1

Hi Phil, What programs are you having USB problems with? I've just run an update to Win10 to the latest version, and this morning ran a properties check on a SD card to see how much space was left. I also run a USB external drive with all my photos on it. I've been working the dickens out of it with the Aircraft Showcase.

File Explorer and my photo editor PhotoScape work fine. Swapped the external drive for a USB stick and read files off it. Not sure why you are having problems.

Hi Phil, What programs are you having USB problems with? I've just run an update to Win10 to the latest version, and this morning ran a properties check on a SD card to see how much space was left. I also run a USB external drive with all my photos on it. I've been working the dickens out of it with the Aircraft Showcase.

File Explorer and my photo editor PhotoScape work fine. Swapped the external drive for a USB stick and read files off it. Not sure why you are having problems.

My Brand New windows ten latest version, installed on my laptop less than a week ago, refused to recognise a USB stick,. . . but just now, it has.

General finger trouble, as I thought I'd reduced and uploaded a few pics of the Merlin onto it, but they were not there.

Have to fire up the old work computer ( XP-Pro ) and try again.  Unless win-10 has some built in picture management software, like the old Win Picture Manager. . . but that prog was deleted from Office years ago but still runs happily on my old XP engine.. . .

Thanks for the suggestions though Peter.

Phil,

If you look at Willies "Computers" thread on What's Up, you will see that there are at least two of us not happy with the way Microsoft tinker with good utilities and screw them up. The latest is Snipping Tool, but Windows Photo Viewer and MS Paint are also being superseded. Fortunately they are still available, but for how long? If you did an upgrade to 10, they will be on your hard drive, but not if you did a fresh install of 10.

I had another program on the laptop which I once used as my photo editor, before finding PhotoScape. The program is called XnView, and is a free download. It has a photo viewer, slideshow option with customisable timing, scroll keys to scroll through a folder, etc. It crops and resizes images, rotates crooked images (leaning buildings, sloping lakes, etc.)

By the way, PhotoScape is also a free download and is quick to learn. I have used it on all the photos in the Aircraft Showcase.

For a preview of Photoscape,

(Note - I haven't tried PhotoScape X) Edited by red750

Peter, I recently had a sysrem crash and My Laptop had a new processor fan and keyboard.  My Mate the IT Guy suggested upgrading to windows Ten.. .. 

Well, I can say without prejudice that this system is utter Fecking Shyte.

I have had it installed for six days and I can't be dealing with it any longer..

It is total rubbish and a not very clever attempt at  being clever and it fails on all counts.

I am currently having to experience a loud warning from AVG, telling me that I have a virus warning every 3.4 minutes,. . and I can't get rid of the warning message, without paying £19.99 for a service that I don't want nor need.

I have HAD IT WITH WINDOWS ALTOGETHER and am changing my system to linux, using Debian as soon as I can.

The reformat starts the day after tomorrow, when the Linux Guy will be here to help.  I used Linux a few years back, and was most impressed with it, but my Oppo couldn't get to grips, being a Windows XP lover. . .

Well, If I can't get Win 7 back on this thing tomorrow,. . .I'll be a Linux man and Feck Bill Gates AND his dog.

Never used a Mac (or iPad), never used Linux. Have used just about every iteration of Windows, including Win8. Have had no problems with the OS, just don't like what they have done with some of the apps. Haven't spent more than 2 minutes with Snip and Sketch so I really shouldn't criticise it - yet. The Men's Shed has two computers, one running Win7, the newer one running Win10. Switch back and forth without problem.

The Merlin is a very nice and well made single seat aircraft and were originally being sold by the ProTech company in the Czech Republic; it was listed as assembled 15,500 euro and kit 5,500 euro in 2017

But now they don't sell them from the Czech Republic, it was acquired by Aeromarine in the US about five years ago and the factory works for them manufacturing the Merlin's there for export.

https://aeromarine-lsa.com/photo-gallery/eg-plane-gallery/

ProTech do not reply to emails, all enquiries are directed to Aeromarine and they handle all reply's and orders  

Typically when a good design like this is swallowed up by another company, especially from the US, the price escalates and for the US that's OK because everything is priced in US$ but all other countries especially here, get screwed.

It would be better to buy a 2 seat Jabiru or other aircraft than to import a Merlin into Australia.

Plane Prices

Top of Form

Merlin price calculator and order form

To place your order please download and complete this order form and send to [email protected]

Total Estimated Cost

AIRFRAME QUICK-BUILD KIT:

$18,500 - Quick-Build E-A/B Airframe Parts Kit: Spars & Sub-Assemblies Are Riveted All Parts Are Pre-Fabricated And Pre-Drilled. Includes Composite Gear, Wheels, Brakes, Control & Fuel Systems

POWERPLANTS

$6,950 - Rotax 582: 65HP Electric Start, B Drive, Oil Injected

$12,950 - HKS 700E 4-Stroke Aircraft Engine

ENGINE INSTALLATION PACKAGE

$3,850 - Firewall-Forward Engine Package Includes: Engine Mount, Cowl, Throttle, Oil Tank, Exhaust, Propeller, Spinner, Air Filter, Radiator, Hardware And Fittings

AVIONICS OPTIONS

$1,500 - BASIC PANEL: ASI, ALT, BALL, FUEL & ENGINE ANALOG INSTRUMENTS

$1,100 – Custom Panel – To Be Quoted

$2,500 – TRIG MODE S TRANSPONDER, WIRING HARNESS, & ANTENNA

AIRCRAFT OPTIONS

$5,500 - Brs 800 rocket parachute

$450 - Upholstery: temperfoam seat cushions

$500 - WHEEL FAIRINGS: SET OF 3

$975 - Night lighting package: led strobe, landing & nav lights

$3,000 - One colour painting

$0 – Taildragger option (tundra tires available)

OPTIONAL AIRCRAFT BUILDERS’ ASSISTANCE PROGRAM:

$6,500 - Quick-Build Kit - FAA E-A/B Compliant Builders’ Assistance Program. The Builders’ Assist Program can be customized to suit the individual builder. It can be divided into several time periods. It can be increased to cover customization. It can even be offered at the builder’s facilities. We can also offer a reduced cost 2-3 day ‘Jump-Start’ program to introduce the builder to the aircraft and assembly methods. Call to discuss these options. We are happy to make accommodations to each builder’s experience, time available, and locations.

CUSTOMER SPENDS 2 WEEKS IN OUR FLORIDA BUILD CENTER TO FINISH AIRCRAFT.

INCLUDES INSTALLATION OF BASIC PANEL & ENGINE & 1ST FLIGHT

$500 - Container Packing

$1,500 - Ocean freight to USA

NOTE:6% Florida Sales Tax If Applicable.

Freight: Pro-rated container cost from Europe: To Be Quoted

INTRODUCTORY PRICING: SUBJECT TO CHANGE

• 10 months later...

Looks good Phil. What did you mean by "deregulated"?

I reckon we could save heaps by deregulation, but it is a forlorn hope of mine that it will ever happen.

SSDR - Single Seat De Registered.

Aircraft in this category require NO Permit to fly, and are not logged on the CAA Register.

Chip Irwin, the man behind it from the USA is a crook.

A member of our club brought one, paid in full, was shown shipping documents and it never came, he got onto the CBP and they said the export was falsified and they are chasing him also.

He has started legal action in the USA but he is about 50th in the que apparently.

Do your own research to find out more, he put Sportcruiser into bankruptcy also. Take a wide birth of this man !

Hmmmm. 20% loss margin in 2017 before the world economy went wonky.

Only two employees with everyone else on labour supply contract.

A business structure that uses several entities for different aspects of operation when it’s a tiny organisation.

And a principal with a searchable history online of Chip Erwin - case study in how to set up dodgy-r-us.

• Like 1