So ,i am building my aircraft with the intention of 750 mtow anticipating that RAA will get the approval for the extra weight but, if not i will go Vh,so my question is do i have to join SAAA to get it through the Casa paperwork or only inspected by approved lames or persons, the RAA is my favoured route if they get the increase , seems that unless you are building a Rv SAAA are biased toward any help appreciated , plane specs are low wing 2 seat, 160hp all alum nose wheel slightly Rvish but more room

Cheers gareth

• Informative 1

You will have a beard as long as Methuselah, and be physically incapable of piloting due to infirmity, by the time a 750kg MTOW is officially approved for RA aircraft. Better to work on going VH.

• Like 2

As far as I'm aware, there's no compulsion to join SAAA, but there are many benefits in doing so, such as a cheaper SCoA, gaining access to a pool of knowledgeable people, many of who have very extensive skills and experience and who are happy to assist and advise on your project.

I'm one of the worst for being a very independent-minded person who prefers working alone - but even at that, I realise having input from others when constructing or repairing is crucial in solving problems, finding parts, getting some good advice when you're stuck or running low on enthusiasm, and generally getting a boost with your project.

https://saaa.asn.au/membership-benefits/

• Like 1

So looking at SAAA site its 245 per year to join and there are some benefits but, with 750kg in RAA i can self sign my medical declaration,with maintaining medical for RPl i will have to spend thousands of dollars per year just to satisfy casa and takes about 12 months (been there done that) not current with medical, and cannot get basic medical once you have a casa audit (i came up clear on every test but casa doesnt believe other medico,s)VH is perfect in that it won,t cost every year to rego but Raa does ,i can get inspections done and at no great cost, ScOA will be less than 500, so methinks i will go VH

I went the VH route and found it to be cheaper than RAA, no ongoing registration and membership of SAAA saves me about 1K on insurance.

Not sure why you believe SAA are biased toward RV's, I didn't build one and couldn't have had a better experience.

Looking at the costs of rego with RA and membership, I am way in front going the VH route.

Mike

• Informative 1

Just my observations when i went to a chapter meeting at Archerfield a few years ago, but i will go to another meeting to see if has changed and ask some pertinent Qs but Casa may still get in the way

thanks all for the input

If you build without getting involved with DAAA or RAAus you will have to get an inspection by an Authorised Person. They are available, but I reckon they would charge more than going the SAA way would cost.

Then when you have built and had inspected and passed, done all the test flying and got a Certificate of Airworthiness, how are you going to maintain your plane. You have to have authorisation to do the maintenance. In the case of an SAAA build, you will do an MPC course ( I think that is its name) that will give you the OK to self inspect and approve for flight.

If I was building again I would definitely go the SAAA way, unless it was ultralight acceptable and there was any doubt about your ability to maintain the medical for VH flying.

• Agree 1