RAAus Director election

tillmanr

Well 1954 are.  I guess the inclusion of the word “interested” explains a lot.

The proposal to appoint non-members as directors and give them equal voting power is a signal of the value of members opinions.  I certainly hope people take the time to read the proposed changes and make an informed decision on their views.

A total of 1031 ballots were received. P poor level of participation displayed. 

If members are not happy with the direction of the association they need to overcome their inertia and vote or accept these outcomes without dissent.

The proposal to appoint non-members as directors and give them equal voting power is a signal of the value of members opinions.  

This is how a Limited Company works; no surprises here; giving away members' direct representation was one of the gobsmacking decisions made by voting members in the past.

Member apathy alive and well. Of the 1031 ballots received 993 were considered valid. Some would have forgotten to put their membership number on the envelope & presumably the rest didn't follow the voting preferences as stated or spoiled the voting form in some way. So over 12,000 members didn't bother to vote. That says basically I don't care so long as I can still fly.

I think most people just don't care about RAAus any more...they fly the same as they always have, although it is getting more and more expensive and it is no longer an association of members, common interest members, it is just a company now so who cares about them

• Agree 3

?

OK badly typed on phone so just to clarify. I am wondering if the people who voted to return the same people are representative of the wider membership or if people who want change did not on this occasion get out and vote.   A simple question about why of those who bothered to vote did we got a vote pretty much for the status quo.   Are most people relatively happy or do the unhappy people not vote. seems to be a fair question.

I would have thought that those who are angry would be more motivated to vote.

by the way I voted. 

• Agree 1

You have certainly lost the organisation you once had and are even more apathetic now than then. About 18 years ago I felt we were leading the world in our way of doing things in the U/L field. It's been steadily downhill from there and I blame the CASA mainly for that. They have been all over the place and it's  been unclear just what they want. I doubt they know either.. They originally proposed 762 Kgs upper weight. They have a bigger responsiblility than just meting out penalties although the AUTHOURITY part is made clear in the legislation the method of implimentation is their choice. Safety is a proactive thing rather than a negative reactive thing mainly restricting what you are allowed to do. If there's real growth today Its despite their being  NOT really helpful.

I was talking to a mate of mine yesterday who had just upgraded his light twin to  full IFR  instrumentation AU$40K's  Got his rating up to speed and is now REQUIRED to install a  GPS based  (TSO'd/ Approved) Panel costing AU$50 K's. Ground based navaids are being phased out.  He's sold the plane for a pittance as one would, sensibly, under the circumstances..  

When very few  vote  it's easy for a group who are organised to do a ring around of the likely loyal and tip the scales their way... YOU had the right to vote but didn't.. Don't be surprised when the time comes where you won't get a chance to vote.   You don't get a vote on CASA's policies either..Nev

If there were enough members deeply unhappy with RA-Aus they would organise the representation they want & get their point of view to as many members as they can and prompt them to vote. I don't think there are enough members who either care or are unhappy enough to make such a stand.

Folks,  

So what’s this suggestion that that non members should be made  voting directors? Aren’t there enough members who want to serve on the board? 

Are the membership really so poorly skilled that they cannot make decisions about their own organisation...?

More information please

Alan 

I think most people just don't care about RAAus any more...they fly the same as they always have, although it is getting more and more expensive and it is no longer an association of members, common interest members, it is just a company now so who cares about them

I think that's the gist of it unfortunately.

I am ropeable, not so much with RAAus and their direction - though I am not happy with that either - but with their decision to publicise our details to other organisations with zero consultation and no accountability for the 180* backflip. 

• Agree 1

I asked around if people were voting in the RAA elections. Mostly people simply couldn't be bothered. Didn't care.

Some thought I was the wierd one by actually taking an interest and voting.

I can't help thinking most Australians are actually very ignorant and naive about political processes and the ability to initiate change.

Basically sheep, waiting to be told what to do...... 

Insofar as political politics, I don't think people are ignorant or uncaring. I think most of us have simply had a gutful of our elected officials behaving in a worse manner than my 7 year old. Screaming and mocking each other across the chamber, concerned only with getting themselves reelected and their parliamentary pensions than the overarching good of the country.

How many hospitals, freeways or schools would that $1080 tax refund buy? But that wont get the asshats voted back in...

I'll get off my soapbox now......

A lot of people, who I speak to at least, have no interest in the political style take over OUR organisation.  Several asked me who they should vote for  (not happy with current outcomes) and all I could honestly say was I only know the members standing for re-election (and gave MY opinion of each of them) - the rest were unknown to myself and they could form their own opinion on what was presented.  

This was the PLANNED outcome in the takeover as when local representatives were involved they already had a personal opinion of the candidate.

The outcome was predicted and there is only ONE way to correct the catastrophe, but I don’t see enough enthusiasm,  at this stage, to correct it.  To be honest my enthusiasm to get involved again has been killed so apart from voting (& the occasional comment) I have given up and just fly myself & try to forget about the issues I see as critical.

• Agree 1

Without knowing what all the non voters think and with such a poor number voting l would call it an invalid election!

But l have no answer to a solution other than saying your membership should tie in with compulsory voting ?? 

Why so much angst about people not voting.

The average RAAus member is just happy to be able to fly at what it costs him or her. Why bother rocking the boat, or looking into who to vote for. It is so much easier to say others can vote. They won't vote until it starts hitting them harder in their back pocket, by which time it will be too late. In fact it is too late now. Just sit back and enjoy it, you aren't going to change things.

The big push to get heavier weights for RAAus is a farce. Anyone who flies the heavier aircraft is doing so more cheaply than the RAAus lightweights.