RAAus statistics

Thruster88

We have cracked the 13000 member's which is great and a lot of flying is happening at 175 hours per year for each ac.

Aircraft numbers are declining, new sales not keeping with the old ones dropping out I guess.

Welcome

Membership Type:

Flying Member

Aircraft Registration Type:

25-0400 Full Registration

Member Number:

Name:

Mr Stuart Andrew Wass

HF

PAX

X

Stats

Since 1 January 2019 RAAus pilots have recorded in their portal that they have flown 581832.7 hours, averaging 60.92 hours each.

Your average flying hours per year over the past five years is 26.

You are an integral part of the 13052 strong RAAus community.

There are currently 3311 active aircraft in the RAAus fleet

• Like 1

I find the stats really hard to believe. I fly about 50 hrs a year & most aircraft around here fly a lot less other than the flying school. The system has ignored my GA experience which I originally loaded & shows I have an average of 1.8 hours over the last 5 years which is complete rubbish. I enter my hours annually when I renew my membership in July.

• Agree 4
  • Informative 1

Perhaps the stats are produced to reflect only the amount of flying that is done in RAAus aircraft by RAAus certificate holders.

I can't see anything wrong with stats being reported in that way. For example, my motor vehicle driving is in two classes, private and professional. Add them together to get my total exposure to the road environment, but report them separately to show the difference between operating environments. 

"13,000 RA-Aus members"

Easy to create membership when it`s compulsory if you want to fly!!! Interesting to know the average age of the membership! I`ve just taken a look on the RA-Aus web site and couldn`t find anything on it...I`ll be 72 on the first of January.

Is it any wonder that new aircraft sales aren`t keeping up to those dropping out when the purchase price of most new LSA wold be over $100K!

Enjoy your flying Guys, if you can still keep it up.

Franco.   :wave:

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

Without saying that there is a conspiracy afoot, it is in the ASAO's interest to report high flying hours numbers so the accident rate ( fatalaties etc/ 1xxxx flying hours) is less. If you think the RAAus numbers are humbug take a look at the hours reported by the gliding fraternity to the BITRE which do not stand critical examination. Of the nearly 1300 registered gliders nearly have do not have annuals (derived from GFA accounts) done which means the fleet averaged nearly 100 hours per aircraft. Taking into account weather, the seasonal nature of gliding and the need for support for launches (except for SLG), the dormant nature of many clubs the reported stats can only be described as bunkum.

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

I’m not surprised at the RAA figures because they match what I’m seeing out and about. One Moorabbin based flying school has over 30 Foxbat/Vixen on the line and that may be more than Bob Stillwell’s Civil training fleet from the GA heyday.  Lot of training = more average hours per aircraft also. RAA May have started to shift from owner/operators to the more conventional aircraft hire. For these people around an hour a week is the most they can afford/make time for.

• Agree 1

One Moorabbin based flying school has over 30 Foxbat/Vixen on the line and that may be more than Bob Stillwell’s Civil training fleet from the GA heyday.

But are the students flying 60+ hours per annum each? see post #1 which is about members hours not aircraft.

Just read my hours profile is 163 hrs in last 5 years = 10.6 hrs.  (I must have attended the wrong maths class.)

Thought maybe 32 hrs is closed. 

I believe they should include in the total aircraft hours but life sows us that stats are there to be used / abused. (Perhaps to mislead) Cheers.

If an instructor and student are flying, is the RAA counting both? 

The way it is written yes they would be, they would also gain some extra from pilots flying VH as well who understandably may not go thru their log book line by line. Last year I was average with my 25 raa hours so training must be really ramping up.

Straight aircraft hours are reported for rego renewal and this number should be used for statistical accident trends.

• Agree 1

But are the students flying 60+ hours per annum each? see post #1 which is about members hours not aircraft.

Some students 1 lesson per week, others 2 or 3, so 60 hours is right in the ballpark.

Bob Stillwel, should read Bib Stillwell.

I have always thought the system of logging hours on the  RAA website  was rather hit and miss. I have  flown up to 60 hours a year, but my average for the last five years is still given as '0'.

Alan

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Is it any wonder that new aircraft sales aren`t keeping up to those dropping out when the purchase price of most new LSA wold be over $100K!

No, LSA is cheap flying, didn't you get the memo .......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Aircraft hours are provided separately, but when you are dual BOTH pilots log flying time  but only one (the instructor) as PIC. There are exceptions when line training and it's logged as "in Command (under supervision)" so is included in the IN COMMAND times. That makes sense if you think about it. The "Confusion" leaves a lot of room  for fudging the stats. but clearly aircraft HOURS would be the total of the aircrafts log book hours flown, even then there is a variant .Some have leg/ airspeed switches and only in flight times go in the airframe log. Nev

• 2 weeks later...
if your hours don't work out, get online and fix it

Can even edit historical data if you like

Yes me too.

Tried to edit my own hours online several times. Always comes back as 'zero' average for five years.