Radio Repairs

Does anyone know of a business capable of repairing a hand held radio?

I have a Vertex VXA-150, which wouldn't turn on one day. Battery good, but screen blank and no noise. The couple of firms I have contacted only want to sell me a new radio and I already have two handhelds, the other one works but not well.

Yes, we live in a throw away society unfortunately......

$100 an hour for a technicial with no guarantee he can fix it. 

How many hours are you prepared to pay for?

I see motorola took over Vertex, so there maybe no parts.

https://www.apexradio.co.uk/two-way-radios/vertex-standard/

Well its not only the rate to fix it. HH are very labour intensive but its also the time involved find the fault then the parts then ordering the parts then the freight on the parts then the time to fix it then putting it all back together etc etc..it all adds up

Does anyone know of a business capable of repairing a hand held radio?

I have a Vertex VXA-150, which wouldn't turn on one day. Battery good, but screen blank and no noise. The couple of firms I have contacted only want to sell me a new radio and I already have two handhelds, the other one works but not well.

Mine would not turn on with the fully charged battery on. I have it mounted on the hangar wall and with a 240 volt power supply via correct voltage transformer to the two tipped jack plug it works. So use it to monitor the area free.  132.05.

For some reason the battery voltage does not have a circuit to power it up.

Cheap enough to treat yourself to a new one.

Cheers

Mike

Give the Old Ham radio guys a go, Lots of them have capable equipment to test for the fault.

spacesailor

A well experienced Radio Ham could conceivably fix it,  as many of them come from a commercial radio background. . . Worst case scenario is that you might have to take the bugger up for a flight in payment !

Most of the Icom and Vertex HH radios have a seperate charge pcb built in or in the unit also they have a turn on FET. Your press button turn on types use a "electronic switch" instead of a normal type switch. The screen being blank could be a crook microprocessor or possible turn on power issue.

Phil and Spacesailor

Most hams would not be capable handling 0602 size SMD components 0805 size I work with every day and occasionally 0602 and I struggle with hand building let alone repairing 0602 and I have had 30 years of doing this this level of repair/development. Pretty much all HH are built with these size passives now not to mention the size of the SMD ic's. 

Yenn...spend the bucks and treat yourself to a new one

• Agree 1

I don't want a new one. I have a good Icom A200 in the RV and I can fly Norad in the Corby or use my Icom Hand held.

I was just wondering about the good old Yaesu. I think Kyle has probably hit the nail on the head.

It is now the way of the world. When it stops chuck it. Many mass produced items are materials cost, Plus bu**er-all.  It just isn't economic to even look at it. This takes a bit of adjusting to when one comes from a background of engine reconditioning, where one would totally remanufacture the entire engine. Now this is only done for collectables and specials. Sport Aviation needs all these skills  but where does one obtain them? Nev

• 3 weeks later...

My Icom also died, the handheld that is. I never liked it as much as the Yaesu. The Yaesu was deemed repairable and is now done, just waiting for delivery.

The repairer is VK Radio Repairs of Thomastown Victoria. The defect was a faulty startup clock, whatever that means.

I was pleased to get it repaired as I don't like our throw away society.

• Like 2

There is a cpu reset to try first.

Press and hold the monitor button AND hold the PTT button down while turning the unit on.

After that you'll need a radio tech.

I have a copy of the service manual if you need it.