Rans S20 Tail dragger

fly_tornado

I'm referring to the earlier version. S7? It's years ago. I didn't look hard enough. This looks a bit sleeker. I've always thought the RANS stuff was good quality. Anyone I know with one us happy with it,

• Agree 1

Sorry I'm thinking of the S7 too, looks much the same!

G'day Tomo, the S7 is tandem seated where as the S20 is like my (yet to be assembled) side by side seating S6ES.

Cheers

• Like 1

the tail dragger is a new option...

Que? How new is new FT? I was talking to Matty metalman when he flew up here a year ago and he was thinking of buying a Raven kit then ... I had a look at it at the time and it was a dragger - I couldn't imagine metalman in a tri-gear ...

Y

The S20 was designed in the beginning to be either The fuselage is made with both sets of main mounts and the noseleg mounts so you can change it if or when you want.

Yup, in that respect it's exactly like the Piper Pacer and Tripacer.

Historically there have been many Tripacer nose legs for sale.

So - given that pilots of tri-gear planes regularly wipe out the nose leg, from the Piper example it's probably safe to assume that most Tripacers got converted to Pacers rather than the other way around.

Which indicates that folks who become competent with a nose wheel would probably be happier with a tail wheel eventually, so if you're considering a kit you could save about US $1500 probably, by bypassing the nose wheel stage altogether ...?

• 3 months later...

I looks like I maybe going to the USA later this year for work stuff, if it happens I will be visiting the factory and hopefully have a fly of the S20. I also saw recently that the quick build kit may now be included in the 51% rule in the USA so this should mean it wont have to be registered as a ELSA which limits the engines you can fit.

Mark

I looks like I maybe going to the USA later this year for work stuff, if it happens I will be visiting the factory and hopefully have a fly of the S20. I also saw recently that the quick build kit may now be included in the 51% rule in the USA so this should mean it wont have to be registered as a ELSA which limits the engines you can fit.Mark

Hi Mark,

You lucky devil, it would be great to have a tour of the RANS facility, they really do have some nice aircraft. It sounds like the S20 will be a real winner, if it flies like the S-7S you will love it, and ideal for your property. My wife has always preferred side by side seating, I'm happy either way, just don't tell her I've got an intercom isolator switch, "ah the serinty"

When your in the Childers area let me know and I'll take you for a spin in the courier.

Hi Brett

I am up at the farm today but leave for Rockhampton in the morning. Will be back sunday after lunch got some friends coming over for a BBQ on sunday night and will be free monday here at the farm and head back to Burpvegas. I hope to fly up in about 2 or 3 weekends time so will arrange with you and I will drop into Childers and catch up. It looks georgous too your S7...a great buy for sure