Real forced-landing video (South Africa, 2018)

It's a lot different when it's real; you can sense it dawning on the pilot that :"This is not an exercise".

It's the real-time/real-life nature of this clip that makes it easy to empathise - and thus take your own lesson from it.

And then, of course, there's the usual  monday-morning-quarter-backing in the comments section.

• Like 1

In the end he did well, and looks survivable.

Looked like there were better spots though like a road alongside one of the fields. But that is easy say after the fact.

Looks more like a modern version of a thruster.

Looks more like a modern version of a thruster.

Looks like a NZ built b22 Bantam ... but I’ve not seen one of those without the rear fuselage covering on ... but j2200 engine and bubble windscreen really looks like a b22 and not a t600 thruster. 

The aircraft is built in South Africa under the name Bat Hawk, it is manufactured under some sort of licensing agreement with the original manufacturer in New Zealand (Max Clear, if my memory serves me correctly) before his passing.

This particular model is the Bat Hawk B22J  with the letter J standing for Jabiru engine.

I wonder why the Jabiru engine stopped, you can see fuel in the fuel line and after the accident so it was not fuel starvation.

Not an expert but I agree with previous comments that it glides like a brick and they looked to be many other more suitable areas to land.

• Helpful 1

Not an expert but I agree with previous comments that it glides like a brick and they looked to be many other more suitable areas to land.

Probably looked pretty good at the final turn, and you are generally committed by then. Late low level manoeuvres, particularly by low hour pilots not recommended. Have a plan and stick with it. Keep the plane flying for as long as possible, keeping the nose wheel off the ground for as long as possible. I have concerns about the fuel line to the pump flapping around, seemingly unrestrained. Should be proper fuel hose enclosed in a fire proof sleeve ...... Bob 

• 2 weeks later...

One of the better engine out vids (sick) that shows exactly why we are taught hight, equals time, equals safety, with no substiutes, hope they were ok, he was able to ask at the end so maybe so, cheers hargraves

One advantage of being a farmer is you can spot a deep ripped paddock from 2000'. The pilot did a good job of keeping his airspeed up, could have slowed it more at the end, was he into wind?. My Thruster would handle that field with  it's 6.00x6 tyres and the 582 wouldn't have failed in the first place (just kidding). Nobody died always a good result.