reasonable priced circuit breakers?

I would prefer circuit breakers over fuses. So this thread is not a debate over which is better, just saying that now before it gets derailed :D

So I was thinking a reasonable alternative to aircraft circuit breakers in an ultralight would be marine ones, from say Whitworths. Anyone have any experience using marine, or other alternatives? Also, I haven't got the brand or part numbers on me now, there seem to be some reasonable priced ones on aircraft spruce but god knows how long it would take to get her (im on holidays on a few weeks,might as well get cracking on the instrument panel)

Just about to go to bed but these from Whitworths look neat:

https://www.whitworths.com.au/blue-sea-toggle-circuit-breaker

which means I could dispense with some/all switches. bit bulky so not even sure theyll fit where i wanted them to. havent googled for reviews. I have about some other aircraft brand that some of these types dont seem to have many cycles in them though. Thoughts?

I used panel mount breakers from Jaycar. They are about $10.00 each & come in varying amperages & have a bright red trip button so you can't miss it.

1588028946835.png.d7311217ee9045ce60c2907ea8cc6584.png

• Like 2

How would you know the reliability of a circuit breaker? Maybe paying more does give more reliability, maybe it just makes more profit for the seller.

You could test them out, for example trying them with a suitable series resistor and a battery. Maybe you could do this at the annual inspection, although I have never heard of this being done.

I guess certified breakers have all been tested, does anybody know what they do to check such things before certifying them?

One advantage of aircraft circuit breakers is that they are interchangeable to an extent. If in 10 years time you need a new one you can probably get it. It might be a different brand but because they are built to meet a standard they will probably fit. I have had problems with stuff from Jaycar getting another one the same a few years later.... Perhaps if you use the Jaycar ones getting a few spares might be a good idea.

• Like 2

Don't worry about delivery from Aircraft Spruce. When I was building I found them faster than buying in Auatralia. That could of course be affected by the corona virus.

Don't worry about delivery from Aircraft Spruce. When I was building I found them faster than buying in Auatralia. That could of course be affected by the corona virus.

The corona virus thing is what I was thinking of. A lot of air freight goes in passenger planes. There are of course a lot less passenger planes now. Mind you if by FedEx or DHL I think they have their own aircraft

Freight rates from the US are very expensive. I bought an air hammer snap fitting for 3/8 solid rivets back in 2011 & it was $6.50 from Spruce but freight was $59.00.

I used panel mount breakers from Jaycar. They are about $10.00 each & come in varying amperages & have a bright red trip button so you can't miss it.

[ATTACH type=full]52723[/ATTACH]

I haven't had a chance to have a good look at these. Do I need to make a square hole for them as implied by the picture?

I bought my Jaycar circuit breakers in 2011 & they still sell the same ones.

My aircraft, commissioned in 2000 had JayCar breakers when I purchased it 10 years+ ago.

1588115897493.png.60431c0772897e05df06e884fd2c5498.png1588115897493.png.60431c0772897e05df06e884fd2c5498.png

I refurbished the whole aircraft (including instrument panel) a few years later - upgraded panel & was able to purchase identical breakers, from JayCar, 3- 25 amp $10 each.

Not being very smart when it comes to electrical stuff, I have no idea how good they are. So far so good, never had to reset, had a fire or any other issues.

• Like 1

The type I used say they will trip within 1 hour at 135% of rated power and within 1 minute at 200% of rated power. I tested them with a much higher rate than that & they tripped instantly. I've never had an issue which has tripped them in operation.

• Like 1

CB,s look so UPMARKET !.

Have you ever tried to repair a Fuse.

Push that circuit button, & if it holds finish what you need to do ,before replacement. After trying to found the reason it tripped , Is so much easier than trying to solder a thin wire into a glass fuse, if none are available at the moment you need one to complete your journey.

I have done this so many times in the Old days, Just a piece of thin electrical wire, then , one strand for the fuse, And a 12 V soldering iron.

Even rewired a blown Regulator with a Headlight globe, to keep the car running.

spacesailor

• Like 2