Recovering an aircraft

Hi, I have begun to dismantle a Minicab GY-201 with the intention of fully recovering with Oratex fabric. Has anyone used this product as I am keen to hear of your thoughts and the ease of application.

Thanks.

Lou,

There have been a few discussion of this product here, and a link to the overseas supplier's site. Oratex Aircraft Fabric

The product has been around for some time and has been used successfully in Europe. The biggest drawback the discussions here exposed was the cost of obtaining a "one job" lot as there is no Australian distributor. You would have to arrange import yourself.

Be aware that, although the product is heat shrunk as part of the installation, you have to still stitch it down, so it doesn't save time in that respect. However, the installation does not require the use of Dangerous Goods such as dope.

Old Man Emu

Hi, I have begun to dismantle a Minicab GY-201 with the intention of fully recovering with Oratex fabric. Has anyone used this product as I am keen to hear of your thoughts and the ease of application.Thanks.

Have a look at the simulated damage demo on the Oratex website. A ball pein hammer is used to dent the fabric on a control surface assembly. A heat gun is used to shrink out the dents back to a flat surface.

For outback repairs involving punctures of fabric on critical surfaces, a patch and glue method can be used in the field, so you can fly home.

The up front cost of the fabric is expensive. However, Oratex gives a significant saving in time and cash when compared to using the conventional fabric and paint covering method ---and NO TOXIC materials.

Lou,There have been a few discussion of this product here, and a link to the overseas supplier's site. Oratex Aircraft Fabric

The product has been around for some time and has been used successfully in Europe. The biggest drawback the discussions here exposed was the cost of obtaining a "one job" lot as there is no Australian distributor. You would have to arrange import yourself.

Be aware that, although the product is heat shrunk as part of the installation, you have to still stitch it down, so it doesn't save time in that respect. However, the installation does not require the use of Dangerous Goods such as dope.

Old Man Emu

You are correct that there is no agent in Aus. Can import direct from the the manufacturer in Germany or an agent in Alaska. Have spoken to both and now in process of getting firm quotes.

Just keen to speak to someone that has used the product in Aust. I know that Oratex has been used to cover gliders but unable to find who.

Cheers Lou

Have a look at the simulated damage demo on the Oratex website. A ball pein hammer is used to dent the fabric on a control surface assembly. A heat gun is used to shrink out the dents back to a flat surface.For outback repairs involving punctures of fabric on critical surfaces, a patch and glue method can be used in the field, so you can fly home.

The up front cost of the fabric is expensive. However, Oratex gives a significant saving in time and cash when compared to using the conventional fabric and paint covering method ---and NO TOXIC materials.

Hi Allen, yes those vids. are very impressive have spent some time watching them.I think cost wise is reasonable compared with Polyfiber as the job can be carried out much quicker without the toxics involved.

Claims are that time saving is approx 50%.

Cheers Lou

Lou,

I covered my ultralight glider (the one referred to by OME) with Oratex UL600.

I had no previous covering experience (apart from model planes 40+ years ago),so have nothing to compare the process to.

The project was covered 6 years ago and the fabric still looks good.

Have recently heard that Freebird Aviation is now an agent/distributor? here in OZ.

CHIPPER LIGHT AIRCRAFT

cheers Alan

• Winner 1

• 8 months later...

Oratex wasn't available when I built the Corby and I went with the Stitts system. It is very good and has lasted well. The only problem is that when it does need repair you have to buy all the required paints etc to do the job. The smallest quantities available are far too much for a small repair job and the pot life of the stuff is short.

Stitts advertise that repairs are easy, but the cost is great. I had a split tailwheel mounting block on the Corby, that meant renewing the block, which required a fabric patch. Rather than buy multi dollars worth of chemicals I used Oratex. Different colour, but all good.

Just be aware that the required glue has a very short shelf life! It only comes in the pre-mix now and is good for max of 3 months at 25deg (Shelf-life 3 months at 25 °C (77 °F), short time (max. 24 h) allowance 30 °C (86 °F)). Don't order it in the middle of summer!

Thanks pluessy, i was unaware of the pre - mix. I held off ordering as the northern winter would render the adhesive useless. The frost free packaging was a substantial additional cost which i  avoided. I may now have to consider two deliveries as i plan to cover the fuselage once the prep work has been completed. The wings will be next but unable to do in the time frame.

I'm in the same boat, I have the Oratex foil but not ready yet for the covering. I did order the unmixed glue with the foil but that is now 5 years old!!! Now I'm working towards having all surfaces requiring covering completed before ordering the next lot of glue (and book some annual leave).

just commit yourself to 3 stubbies less in the fridge and use that free space for the glue Problem is the shipping from landing in OZ to your location.