Handheld GPS options

Guest Guest

Does it have to be "hand" held as such?

If not, the Garmin 196 for sure, or if you want colour, the Garmin 96c. (hope I've got that second model right) - the 96 is about $1k from memory.

Or for a smidge over $2k go for the Garmin 296. The only thing that 296 doesn't do is serve in-flight munchies - it's jam packed.

There's always the PDA option, but if you want something that just works straight out of the box, you can't beat a Garmin or similar.

i have the PDA option already, but i dont have the GPS reciever for it, plus i dont trust the software reliability.i prefer to simplicity and easy setup of a hand held type, and tranportability between aircraft.

Guest Graeme

The Garmin iQue works straight out of the box and is a lot cheaper than the 296. It has the same Jeppeson map source and great clarity. The trouble is these days there are to many options but who would change it, our toys just keep getting better and better.smiley4.gif

Regards

Graeme

Guest Graeme

Yes, I'd have to agree that the batteries in my iQue 3600a are good for about 3 hours max but when your running off the aircrafts electrical system its no different to any other GPS. I just like there versitility, size and portability, particularly when you tend to have a reliance on producing data thatneeds to be kept in a safe place untill it can be down loaded to a PC or laptop.

Cheers

i think i might have to cut the budget to approx $1000, what is everyones opinion of the Garmin GPSMAP 196 ??

then again, there is the Lowrance 600C, sadly i cant find a dealer for this model in Oz..

Ultralights

G’day ‘Ultralights’,

For the money I would have to say the Garmin 196.

I’ve been using one for some years now and whilst I personally don’t like the key layout or usage the unit is just about 100% reliable.

Good size screen, readable in sunlight and when its used in conjunction with the optional land based road mapping software gives extra details when you zoom in to show roads and others major points of interests, etc.

Its history logging is quite good too allowing you to reproduce a detailed flight path and graphical display of your flight down to whatever level of detail one desires. I.E. You can have the unit log every 100 metres (or less) if you wish. Being a 16 level grey-scale screen is in my personal opinion gives better viewing then some of the colour units too. Updating to the current Jeppersen charts via the internet is easy also. Using the windshield suction-plugged wired extension antenna gives excellent reception. As does the standard antenna.

The only area where I’d be a little cautious of, is using re-chargeable batteries. I’ve had too many occasions where the so-called top quality brand batteries have failed, usually it’s only one cell that fails but that’s enough to bring the unit to a stop. Using the current Energizer Lithium (throw-away) batteries gives amazing battery performance or of-course you can use the aircrafts power supply.

The software supplied allows you to plan and setup quite good waypoints or you can use a third-party program too.

Yep, I’ll go for a 196. As for price, shop around as you should be able to source one for under a $1K or at max. $1.1K… That's my 'two bobs worth'...

Yours in recreational aviaton,

Rodger

I'd agree with River, the 196 is better to read in different light than a 296. I have both, the 296 has a better display with the compass rose but under full light the greyscale screen is easier to see. The terrain warning is a pain in the arse with the 296, the default setting is on and sensitive. Every time the GPS is turned on you have to disable the terrain warning. OK if you fly around many miles off the ground but a bit lower it covers up a quarter of the screen warning of impending doom.

You can download road info and use the 196 driving or passengering, it has a marine mode as well as road.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys

Was thinking of a 296 but sounds like 196 could do just as good a job & save the extra $$$

What is the road map set up like...does it have voice option Thrasher

Hi Guys Was thinking of a 296 but sounds like 196 could do just as good a job & save the extra $$$

What is the road map set up like...does it have voice option

G'day Thrasher,

The 196 comes with a very very basic Australian mapping setup and really is not that good other than being able to show you are yes, you are 'somewhere' in or around the location shown... on the ground wise. Voice, no not that I'm aware of and I have a 196 too.

To obtain reasonable ground mapping with a 196 you need to purchase Garmin's Mapsource mapping software (around $300/400) which will give you ground mapping similar to say, the UBD street directory maps. Having said that the Mapsource detail is only detailed in and around the various major cities and towns and does not show detail such as railway lines, dams, rivers or the likes of... just roads (mostly), etc. Also the mapping detail is somewhat out-of-date too. There is though a new version on the mapping software about to be released which I hope will address many of these short comings.

As for the GPS unit itself, quite a good reliable unit though a little difficult to use until you become familiar with Garmin’s way of doing things. Like most products though the manual requires you to stand back 20 feet, turn it up side down and read it backwards... If you have never used a GPS or Garmin product before, be warmed, you'll eventually get the hang of it but!

Now having said all that I am just about a place (with-in the next few days) a review of a number of GPS/PDA (Personal Digital Assistant) units to further members options...

Cheers

Hi Guys

Thanks for all your help, I like Ultralights also bought a Garmin 196 last Friday,although paid a bit more in Melbourne for it...Oh well...Now I have to learn how to drive it...lucky I've had a Pilot II for a while. It will be my back up incase of any 196 troubles..With the $$$ I saved not getting the 296 I will put towards a ANR headset.

This stick with streets on it where can you get one & how many $$$ should you extect to pay...& how good is it... Thrasher

• 9 months later...

GPS audible warnings

Does anyone know of any GPS's that have a jack on them to take the audio for the warning beeps out of them so you can then plug it into an intercom? Having audible warnings is pretty useless in an aeroplane if you can't hear them which I find is generally the case with a set of cans over your ears.

David

Read the instructions and you will probably find a way of turning off the warnings, I have turned off my Garmin12XL easily. The same applies with hand held radios.

Reading back over the early postings on this topic reminded me of something I recently became aware of. Maybe this is common knowledge and I'm a bit slow on the uptake, but I was surprised to learn that PDA's can be salary sacrificed.

This means you could get a PDA integrated with the latest SiRFIII GPS and high capacity battery, effectively for 30-50% off the retail price (around $550 new on eBay) depending on your tax bracket.

Throw in a good flight management software and you've got all your flight planning and nav needs on PC and PDA covered, audio output into your headphones like David wants, plus street nav, etc etc ... with change in your pocket for what you would pay for a far less capable aviation GPS.

Food for thought,

Ron