Replacement drifter flying wires

Fox 4

To assist with the resto of an aging Drifter, would appreciate some info on a source for obtaining replacement flying wires which are now becoming a bit slack

You only need to replace wires if rusty and 3 or more broken strands. They usually break at the rust spots, if in good nick tighten the wires by undoing an end and twist to shorten or lengthen, this is how you fine tune trim of air craft. Up on top of king post there should be slide adjusters on the landing wires to tension wing.

• Like 1

Thanks for info jabiruken. , wires now nicely adjusted. Now have to establish the condition of the fabric which has faded lightly but still has good resistance to thumb pressure , but would be interested to know the

procedures used by other flyers or L2's to establish fabrics use by date

Thanks for info jabiruken. , wires now nicely adjusted. Now have to establish the condition of the fabric which has faded lightly but still has good resistance to thumb pressure , but would be interested to know theprocedures used by other flyers or L2's to establish fabrics use by date

Thanks for info jabiruken. , wires now nicely adjusted. Now have to establish the condition of the fabric which has faded lightly but still has good resistance to thumb pressure , but would be interested to know theprocedures used by other flyers or L2's to establish fabrics use by date

Glad to help a drifter driver, fading is not a good sign, would most definatly get qualified person to check out fabric. Some including myself have coated the fabric with acrylic or 2 PAC paint to slow the deteriation rate.

I have a 'Bettsometer' tool for testing both fabric and stitching on rag & tube aircraft. It's been loaned it out previously for fellows to test their suspect dacron etc - check it out on google. If of interest to you for assessing your fabric, I'd be happy to mail it to you on a 'loan' basis (you pay postage both ways and agree to replace it if lost or damaged). It's always come home so far. 010_chuffed.gif.c2575b31dcd1e7cce10574d86ccb2d9d.gif cheers

• Like 1
  • Helpful 2
  • Winner 2

I have a 'Bettsometer' tool for testing both fabric and stitching on rag & tube aircraft. It's been loaned it out previously for fellows to test their suspect dacron etc - check it out on google. If of interest to you for assessing your fabric, I'd be happy to mail it to you on a 'loan' basis (you pay postage both ways and agree to replace it if lost or damaged). It's always come home so far. 010_chuffed.gif.c2575b31dcd1e7cce10574d86ccb2d9d.gif cheers

I have seen a Bettsometer used on trikes where the Dacron is a heavy grade, but am told that it will rip a Drifter wing regardless, perhaps you can confirm or correct if necessary?.

As a general rule for Drifters, if you can put your thumb through it, it buggered. When you press on it and you can hear the fibres breaking, you know you are about to put your thumb through it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Hello Riley, I have just gone back to the dark side and brought a nose wheel aircraft again ( GT500 quicksilver ) the aircraft has been stored wings off in a hanger and has not flown since 2007, though engine frequently run up, the airframe/engine hrs are low but I am uncertain regarding the aircrafts storage arrangement prior to 2007 (7 years) and I would like to conduct a bettsometer test of the fabric prior to bringing her back on line with new tyres, rubber components, fuel and oil lines, If possible could I borrow your tool as in your post, which would save me the cost of buying a probable once only use tool, my mobile is 0414607563 if you could give me a bell at your convienience, cheers Hargraves ( Mick )

I have seen a Bettsometer used on trikes where the Dacron is a heavy grade, but am told that it will rip a Drifter wing regardless, perhaps you can confirm or correct if necessary?.As a general rule for Drifters, if you can put your thumb through it, it buggered. When you press on it and you can hear the fibres breaking, you know you are about to put your thumb through it.

Didn't have any strife with the Bettsometer on 2 Drifters whilst doing L2 chores and I do recall using it successfully on one set of significantly bleached Thruster skins for a UACR some years back without drama. I certainly wasn't aware of potential limitation problems in using it to test anything other than weightshifts. Obviously, if harbouring any doubts, Fox4 will go in a different direction but I would definately appreciate any specific data on the suggested limitations of the tool. Meanwhile, it's available if anybody chooses to use it. Mick, if Fox 4 decides to pass then I'll get off to you post haste. cheers all

Didn't have any strife with the Bettsometer on 2 Drifters whilst doing L2 chores and I do recall using it successfully on one set of significantly bleached Thruster skins for a UACR some years back without drama. I certainly wasn't aware of potential limitation problems in using it to test anything other than weightshifts. Obviously, if harbouring any doubts, Fox4 will go in a different direction but I would definately appreciate any specific data on the suggested limitations of the tool. Meanwhile, it's available if anybody chooses to use it. Mick, if Fox 4 decides to pass then I'll get off to you post haste. cheers all

All good....I think after a bit of research, the issue was how much force to use, and possibly someone who had used one on trikes with heavy Dacron, tried to test lighter fabric with the same force and shredded it.

• Informative 1

An executive decision has been taken to replace fabric as part of the resto , mainly for cosmetic purpurses the current fabric passed the " red in face ". thumb test ok , thanks Riley, for generous offer of bettsometer. Now onto drum drakes that are well worn. but after a general look around these parts do not seem readily available so may have to look for alternatives, Any suggestions welcome

An executive decision has been taken to replace fabric as part of the resto , mainly for cosmetic purpurses the current fabric passed the " red in face ". thumb test ok , thanks Riley, for generous offer of bettsometer. Now onto drum drakes that are well worn. but after a general look around these parts do not seem readily available so may have to look for alternatives, Any suggestions welcome

Take your brake shoes to a brake place. They can bond on new linings for quite a reasonable fee. I think my last set cost me about $60.00.

Hello Riley, I have just gone back to the dark side and brought a nose wheel aircraft again ( GT500 quicksilver ) the aircraft has been stored wings off in a hanger and has not flown since 2007, though engine frequently run up, the airframe/engine hrs are low but I am uncertain regarding the aircrafts storage arrangement prior to 2007 (7 years) and I would like to conduct a bettsometer test of the fabric prior to bringing her back on line with new tyres, rubber components, fuel and oil lines, If possible could I borrow your tool as in your post, which would save me the cost of buying a probable once only use tool, my mobile is 0414607563 if you could give me a bell at your convienience, cheers Hargraves ( Mick )

Greetings Mick

Fox 4 has opted for new skins so if you haven't been scared off, send my your postal details by PM and I'll get it in the mail to you. cheers

• 2 weeks later...
New brake pads or brake drums?

Brake drums have cleaned up quite well with some heavy sandpaper , have taken advice and had the shoes rebonded with new 4mm pads , should all work ok, Anyone solved the problem of wear around u/c legs where they pass through the fuse structure?

Which

Brake drums have cleaned up quite well with some heavy sandpaper , have taken advice and had the shoes rebonded with new 4mm pads , should all work ok, Anyone solved the problem of wear around u/c legs where they pass through the fuse structure?

bit? Pic perhaps?

Don't forget that the Drifter u/c legs have an insert at one end, and I think the bolt hole diameters are different?

As for your avatar mnewbery, just wondering if you ever go out in public with a colander on your head? I haven't been that brave yet, but I'm quite looking forward to getting to Heaven - a beer fountain and a stripper factory sounds good to me......

and now we shall see some interesting posts from folks asking w t f I am talking about.....

Arrr me hearties !!!

BP

• Haha 1

Don't forget that the Drifter u/c legs have an insert at one end, and I think the bolt hole diameters are different?

Normally, the top bolt is 1/4 inch diameter and the bottom is 3/16 diameter.

Assuming Drifter legs are all made the same, they can be rolled 180 degrees and still have the top end with the insert, at the top, if both ends are cut on the correct angle, however, the bolt holes may not match correctly and may have to have a drill put through them.

I`ve had a bottom 3/16 bolt (not worn) sheer, allowing the stub axel and wheel to roll over so I drilled the hole on both legs and fitted a 1/4 bolt! Never had it sheer again.

Frank.

• 5 weeks later...

Installing a fresh 582 motor at present , but noticed the existing pulse pump was mounted on edge as opposed to horizontal as recommended by Rotax , pump appears to have operated in this position for some time , but maybe the elec boost pump , also installed , was hiding a problem. , was the pulse pump mounted on edge the standard drifter installation ?

Installing a fresh 582 motor at present , but noticed the existing pulse pump was mounted on edge as opposed to horizontal as recommended by Rotax , pump appears to have operated in this position for some time , but maybe the elec boost pump , also installed , was hiding a problem. , was the pulse pump mounted on edge the standard drifter installation ?

My Drifter has it mounted horizontally but have seen mates Drifter with it mounted vertical had done 800 hrs with no problems .

Mine is mounted in the vertical plane. As long as the vent is at the bottom it si OK.

Unfortunately the pump is a long way above the point it draws from, and the engine drive fuel pump, I find, a bit marginal if you are lower than half in the belly tank.

This is my setup...The pump draws from the bottom tank and has no problem doing so...I`ve had it this way for three of my 582 and now on my current 503...I have an electric pump, but it`s there mostly to prime the Carbies on start up and as back-up, if needed.

2089456053_FuelPump1(Large).jpg.9d4f5975830eff9f0fbe99f8ed70de8b.jpg

Franco.