RPL fees

Hi, I just  checked the CASA website and the fee for CASA RPL appears to be only $50, compared to $246 for RA-Aus. Am I missing something? If it's only $50, is it possible to fly an RA-Aus registered aircraft with just a current RPL? Thanks for your input. 

I thought an RPL did not cost per year, but requirement to pay for medical $75.00 unless you have extra stuff to test for.

also BFR to be completed. should still need RAAus membership, and current Raa BFR to jump in numbers plane.

i don’t think my RAAus is current due to not taking BFR on time, even though I fly around 50 hrs a year in VH rego.

cheers

clinton

• Agree 1

RPL ( and all GA licences) only have initial costs and then is perpetual at no cost. 

The medical cost can vary from 4 yearly down to 1 yearly depending on age and state of health. 

As far as flying RAAus aircraft on RPL- nope. 

Cant fly an RAAUS registered aircraft on ANY GA licence (RPL right up to ATPL or even a military licence). 

As far as the law is concerned in an RAAUS aircraft no other licence counts only the RAAUS certificate. 

Its totally stupid - we have 3 jab 230-430 types in my cohort of 3 flying mates. 2 are GA registered and 1 is RAUS. 

They are exactly the same except for the numbers on one and letters on the other 2. The owner of the RAAus one has a PPL as well. The owners of  the others have PPL licences. 

One of us can legally fly all three, the other two of us can only legally fly 2 of them. 

Go figure! 

• Winner 1

The cost is only reversed to a degree when you own a RA registered J230 compared to a VH registered J430 as maintenance is less stringent and L2 costs are generally less than VH LAME costs. I think a lot of it is to do with keeping VH LAME qualifications current.

• Agree 1

The GA AFR is good for RAA as well, just get the GA instructor to send in the form.

Don't even need to do that - I just email a scan of the logbook page to RAAus.  Same with GA endorsements (RU, MPPC, etc, also for your X-country on your RPC).

You find it is the same requirement with the GFA, HGFA, and warbirds. Insurance is a big part of it. To convert, there is a 5 hour requirement. Before we argue if this is required or not, I have done a few with GA pilots converting, biggest issue is getting use to a lighter aircraft. 

You find it is the same requirement with the GFA, HGFA, and warbirds. Insurance is a big part of it. To convert, there is a 5 hour requirement. Before we argue if this is required or not, I have done a few with GA pilots converting, biggest issue is getting use to a lighter aircraft. 

The real issue is MOST testing etc is competency based as there is always variables, but RAA moving from a competency test to minimum 5 hours is a backward step IMO. Does not concern me as I did my RAA certificate when it was competency based so the “real” reason for 5hrs minimum is debatable, I call it BS.

• Agree 3

The cost is only reversed to a degree when you own a RA registered J230 compared to a VH registered J430 as maintenance is less stringent and L2 costs are generally less than VH LAME costs. I think a lot of it is to do with keeping VH LAME qualifications current.

If it’s registered in experimental GA and you built it yourself you can do your own maintenance. the costs of maintenance are then minimal. Oil, filters etc and a couple of weekends. 

True but don't the instruments all need to be TSO approved? Also you don't need a transponder for RA rego. Can't go into controlled space though.

Transponders are not required for VH aircraft operating in class G airspace.  If a transponder is fitted it must be turned on at all times.

True but don't the instruments all need to be TSO approved? Also you don't need a transponder for RA rego. Can't go into controlled space though.

Not sure to what situation you are referring

but assuming it was answering my post immediately before yours about doing your own maintenance for GA experimental.

Nope not at all. Only if you want to have it certified for IFR.