Sapphire LSA Mk2

Hi, just joined the forum.

I recently acquired a 1989 model Sapphire LSA Mk2 which I have not yet flown as I plan to address a few maintenance matters before first flight. It presents as a sleek light aircraft with an MTOW of 250kg which is very low. One of my concerns is the carry weight as I am on the heavier end of the spectrum. Another is the crappie 2 piece canopy. I noticed the later models came out with a better canopy setup. One has a side flip and the other a forward flip arrangement. I wondered if anyone can head me in the right direction to obtain the forward flip version.

Hi, the specs that I have for the Sapphire LSA Mk2 show a MTOW of 320kg for the 447 and 350kg for the 503 powered units. The empty weight for the basic 447-powered aircraft is listed as 170kg to 201kg for a fully optioned 503. These specs are from the old RA-Aus website and the then manufacturer (Steven Dumesny).

Hi Revel,

Where abouts are you located?

I own a 1999 Sapphire mk2 and the aircraft is located in Ararat, Victoria. Happy for you to come and have a chat about it if it’s not too far for you?

Brendon.

They are a rather pretty and clean plane (except for the protruding exhaust system) Very light on the elevator. The two engines used then are OK for the job but unsupported by Rotax . Redesigning and making a two seater would be a formidable task. Nev

The Sapphire is the plane that got me interested in ultralights. All the rag and tube designs just didn't inspire much interest, but then I found this beautiful sleek, efficient aircraft.

Alas. I don't fit in one...

Hi Revel,

Where abouts are you located?

I own a 1999 Sapphire mk2 and the aircraft is located in Ararat, Victoria. Happy for you to come and have a chat about it if it’s not too far for you?

Brendon.

Thanks for the offer Brendon, but I live in WA and it’s a bit of a distance to fly in the Sapphire. I will look you up if I come your way. Thanks

Hi, the specs that I have for the Sapphire LSA Mk2 show a MTOW of 320kg for the 447 and 350kg for the 503 powered units. The empty weight for the basic 447-powered aircraft is listed as 170kg to 201kg for a fully optioned 503. These specs are from the old RA-Aus website and the then manufacturer (Steven Dumesny).

As mentioned mine is one of the earlier ones 1989 and was only rated and registered with RAAus at MTOW 250kg. Does not make sense as it means The pilot can only be 60kg with full tanks @ 38l.

Welcome to sapphire ownership. If yours is an early uncertified one it’s got 95.10 reg and technically you can declare to fly it at any weight up to 300kg.

There are both fabric thick wing 95.10 sapphires and thin wing glass wing sapphires that were approaching the certified spec.

You choose your mtow and in the sapphire like many it will come down to cofg management.

Mine is a fabric wing kfm engine sapphire so it’s really light. Even with the full canopy and brakes it’s under 122kg empty and only burns 8-9L an hour when I push so it’s quite a different aircraft to the 447 glass wing version.

Anyway. Enjoy you sapphire.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Welcome to sapphire ownership. If yours is an early uncertified one it’s got 95.10 reg and technically you can declare to fly it at any weight up to 300kg.

There are both fabric thick wing 95.10 sapphires and thin wing glass wing sapphires that were approaching the certified spec.

You choose your mtow and in the sapphire like many it will come down to cofg management.

Mine is a fabric wing kfm engine sapphire so it’s really light. Even with the full canopy and brakes it’s under 122kg empty and only burns 8-9L an hour when I push so it’s quite a different aircraft to the 447 glass wing version.

Anyway. Enjoy you sapphire.

Thanks Kasper.

Mine is a 25 registered factory build and it seems RAAus won’t have a bar of altering the MTOW

Thanks Kasper.

Mine is a 25 registered factory build and it seems RAAus won’t have a bar of altering the MTOW

Well yes. The 25 series are type accepted and unless a manufacturer changes the accepted specifications you live within them.

The manufacturer is no more so you are limited to going through the RAAus MARAP process ... but given mtow changes are significant changes affection pretty much every aspect of the type acceptance you are likely to be less than welcome at RAAus ... plus the cost and time involved would probably be better spent getting to know your aircraft within its limits and then if you love it but need more then sell your 25 on and buy a 19 reg home built one which has a higher mtow and performance.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hello All, 

I am keen to know of any Sapphire LSA Mk2 on the Market. I reside and mostly fly in SE Queensland, but will consider those outside the region. Please consider. 

Markt

• 4 months later...

Hello All,

I am keen to know of any Sapphire LSA Mk2 on the Market. I reside and mostly fly in SE Queensland, but will consider those outside the region. Please consider.

Markt

Hey Mark,

I have an LSA Mk2 Sapphire for sale if you're still searching for one? It also comes with a spare rotax 447.

Cheers,

Brendon

Edited by Brendon Lovell

• 4 weeks later...

What's the largest (tallest) pilot that'll comfortably fit in a Sapphire? I've always liked the look of them - and the Marco J5 too - but have always thought they aren't really geared for above-average pilots.

Depends. If it’s got a canopy then each is different. Mine is an early 95.10 with a much later fitted canopy and I fit in at 1.88m with space ... but my height is on my legs so it’s try before you buy.

Where it’s tight it on the pedals. It very narrow down there and if you have wide feet - me - it’s sand shoes only or I don’t fit.

• Informative 1