Savannah S Dreaming

FIL65

Hi Folks,

My name is Phil and I have just recently gained my RPC flying out of YGYM.

After much consideration I have set my mind on building a Savannah S.

I am currently building a new house as an owner builder and currently living in the shed that I will be building my aircraft in, so I need to finish this project first before I start my aircraft build. This also pleases the wife and keeps the peace. Looking at finishing in the latter part of this year.

I have had 25 years in the defence aviation industry working as an avionics tech with both the RAAF and Boeing on F111's. During this time I also acted as an all trades tradesman . I'm hoping this will help in my build as our maintenance processes were rather strict and thorough.

I have been following the threads on this forum for some time now and think I have read most of them twice. I am looking to gain some more insight into the build processes for the Savannah S and would love to chat with some local SEQ Savannah builders. I would also jump at the opportunity to go for a fly in a Savannah if anyone has a spare set at any time, to feel how the aircraft handles.

Cheers Phil

• Like 1

Hi Phil

Good to see you are going to get into it. I fly to Gympie a bit from Ycab so will catch up with you there I am sure. Blair Rowan has a S up there and I am sure he would help you out with a fly..He is a instructor too I think

Hi Mark,

It's going to be a painful struggle getting through the house build as I just want to order my kit and get started. I have already been in contact with Reg regarding my plans to build.

Looking forward to catching up. After reading your build posts I would have to say you are a wealth of knowledge when it comes to building a Savannah, along with some of the other members of this forum.

I haven't meet Blair Rowan but I think his Savannah may be the one I have seen in the Aero Clubs hanger. Do you know if it's a kit build or factory aircraft?

Blairs is a factory built

I hate electric flaps my twin stick setup still uses the manual flaps as I changed the geometry of the flap lever and it just happens to fit really well. The first thing you do with the ICP twin stick kit is to throw away the sticks. They are a waste of time..too short and they are too close to your crotch. You just need to make up different sticks its easy to do. Its on my blog.

Mabel the S that I am rebuilding I just ordered another twin stick kit for it less the electric flaps the same as I did for the XL. The guy that wants my XL once I get Mabel flying wants the existing twin sticks left in so had to order another setup from Reg. I will make the couplings up again to make the sticks removeable again but I will make a bit different shaped set of sticks...probably more like the Rans style where they are rounded out I think it will be better. But thats the beauty of making the removeable stick coupling...if you dont like the stick just make a new one.

Dont use the std Sav tyres get some 600-6 tyres Condors or similar. Really pay attention to the fuel tank couplings as they will leak at the drop of a hat and its a pain in the arse to fix.

Lots of other little things..dont be afraid to ask at anytime

Mark

Hi Eightyknots,

Start time depends on finishing the house as we are living in my aircraft factory at the moment, but I would like to think it will be similar to your start time. I'm chomping at the bit to get going, but I want to make sure I do it properly the first time so I will ask as many questions as possible before them. I would be good to be building at the same time to keep check on the construction processes.

Mark

Thanks for the feedback regards the twin sticks and flaps, sounds like good advice. I am still sorting through your post to find the details of the twin stick mod. I am a bit spoilt with having elec flaps after flying the Sky Arrow for the last 6 months, but the simplicity of the manual flaps with your modified selector makes sense, I just wast sure it was doable with the twin sticks. Then Sky Arrow Imhave been flying is the one featured in the March Sport Pilot. The Condor tyres are a definite to give me the off airport capability. I'm a bit envious of your farm, having your own strip is the ultimate. I can't find the space on my 10 acres. The farmer next door owns 900 acres and I keep eyeing of suitable areas for a strip. I am also just around the corner from Greenfields Airstrip ( Boreen Point) a private strip, I am yet to investigate being able to fly out of there eventually.

It will be interesting with the twin stick kit to see if it has changed as the crossmember that goes across the front seat mount is actually smaller in height on the latest S due to the moveable seats...so not sure if they make 2 versions...I will know in a week or 2 when the new stick kit arrives.

10 acres is heaps for a strip although it depends on the shape of course. I have 350mtrs and its heaps..really 200 would be fine if you could get that distance. The greenfields guy I am sure used to have a old Sav classic I think well one of the guys there certainly did

Mark

Way to many trees on my block Mark, apart from the house and sheds its all trees.

It's very hard to see what is in most of the hangers on Greenfield strip apart from 1 which is close to the road, the rest are on private gated driveways. The one that's visible houses an ex RAAF CT-4. I am constantly monitoring the aircraft activities as we are below a long final to RWY 10.

Will be interested to hear the outcome of your stick upgrade for Mabel. I have been doing a fair bit of ready regarding electric and manual flaps, and it looks like manual flaps are,the better option for STOL aircraft and will go with that option.

Mark, if possible I would like to get the details of your detachable stick coupling when I get to that stage of my build.

No problems Phil...This time when I make them I will measure them and draw them. You just need access to a lathe to make them..there nothing too special. Reg will be dropping off Mine and Dannys bits this weekend so will see if the kit is any different to before. I will take some pics so you can see whats in the kit I will post it all on Mabel's rebuild blog.

• Agree 1

• 2 months later...

Well the dream is now a reality. I have placed my order for my Savannah S kit. Still need to finish the house so I can get my shed back. Will give me time to read and try to understand the manual and get everything sorted before I begin.

Cool thing! How long do you have to wait?Are in possesion of an actual manual?

I doubt whether it is possible to get the build manual without having the kit as well. Because ICP is continually upgrading their Savannahs, the build manual is (presumably) continually being updated as well. That means it is not possible to order just the manual.

Well the dream is now a reality. I have placed my order for my Savannah S kit. Still need to finish the house so I can get my shed back. Will give me time to read and try to understand the manual and get everything sorted before I begin.

Well done Phil!

Hi Guys,

Pretty excited. I have secured the last kit that Reg had in stock and hoping to take delivery in the next 3-4 weeks.

• 1 month later...
A big thanks to Reg at Aerokits for delivering my Savannah S kit today. Let the fun begin.

Oh, yusssssssssssssss.....................)

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_3271.JPG.4c9c7182cbd5775c6d781e256e589abd.JPG

Cleared some space on the mezzanine floor in the shed we are living in till I finish building the house and started the sorting process.

This could take a while!

IMG_3269.JPG.943a6154edefd478514717e11c99732c.JPG

IMG_3270.JPG.3adcc4bd2a5a3aa06de59c923d3246ad.JPG

• Like 2

Well, thats a lot of stuff.

I found it helpful, to put the larger skins into a cardboard envelope an put them on the wall.

How do you like the seats? Would you spend 950 dollar, if you had to buy them seperatly?