Savannah vs Foxbat (Duplicate on Foxbat Forum)

APenNameAndThatA

Hi

I am wanting to use a VH registered plane for STOL on rough strips, and carry as much stuff as I can in the plane, and have a parachute attached. The Savannah and Foxbat both seem to fit the bill. The Foxbat can be registered VH and seems to have a big following in the outback, and numerous flying schools use it. On the other hand, I might have difficulty hangaring it in Alice Springs, and it has fabric control surfaces.

My understanding is that the factor Savannah now is 600 kg MTOW (otherwise the decision would be a no-brainer.) The Foxbat and Savannah both have almost identical takeoff roll and cruise speed, as far as I can tell. The Foxbat looks like it would be faster, but its cabin is 20 cm wider at the elbows and it tapers more rapidly.

ATM, I am leaning towards the Foxbat: the 20 cm wider cabin is a plus, and training would be much simpler. It seems that I would have to train 24 and RA-Aus and then patch over (as our bikie colleagues would say) to VH and RPL. I want to be able to fly out of Alice Springs and Mt Isa.

Thanks!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My Sav is very stable and flies true. Can't seem to stall it and love the big baggage compartment. I didn't like centre stick at first but found it great for getting in and out plus space while flying. I had dual yokes in the Foxbat.

I also love the long nose and it just looks like an aeroplane. My Foxbat started to corrode after 12 months. It was the most looked after plane in the club so was loved.

Hi,

Although an issue with quite a few LSA type planes, just remember that the Savvy has a low wing loading, so flying out of places like Alice means in hot weather you will get bumped around a lot. Even in southern Victoria I get bumped around a lot in Spring/Summer weather here when a bit gusty and warming up. I try to be back on the ground by 10.30/11.00 in the morning.

The Savvy is roughly 50 kg/sq m  or 10 lb/sq ft wing loading....don't know about the Foxbat, I'm afraid.

Cheers,

Neil

• 2 weeks later...
My Sav is very stable and flies true. Can't seem to stall it and love the big baggage compartment. I didn't like centre stick at first but found it great for getting in and out plus space while flying. I had dual yokes in the Foxbat.

I also love the long nose and it just looks like an aeroplane. My Foxbat started to corrode after 12 months. It was the most looked after plane in the club so was loved.

Hi Steve ZK,

What model Savannah do you fly? ...Classic, ADV, VG, XL or S?

Also, have you flown your aircraft on longer, cross country trips ….or just local?

Hi Eightyknots,

FYI - when I picked up my Savvy S we flew it from Archerfield in QLD to Penfield in VIC, stopping overnight in Narromine. That's a trip of roughly 750+ nm.

That's the longest trip I have done, but have flown plenty of 3-4 hour trips round VIC or to NSW since. I have found it very comfortable over such distances.

Lumpy, turbulent weather does, of course, make for discomfort, but that's going to be the case with any LSA.

My hangar-mate flew his Savvy XL to Alice and back recently and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Cheers,

Neil