Site Menu Structure proposal

Admin

Hi All

Well the site rebuild is going absolutely fantastic and whilst I can't speak for everyone I am not experiencing any performance issues and I still have some ideas to increase the performance even more.

The site is building and whilst all the quick things have already been added there is still a lot more to come which will be a bit slower however as sections are added we will run out of room on the Main Menu so I have come up with a proposed structure that I would like to get your comments on, it is based on overall site components of:

1. Social - What's New, Forums, Clubs, Blogs, Events

2. Media - Gallery, Videos, Articles, Aviation News

3. Resources - Downloads, Maps, Links, Tutorials, Tools and Calculators

4. Reference - Aircraft, On This Day, Famous People, plus any other reference items

5. Commerce - Classifieds, Suppliers, Pilot Shop, Product Reviews

6. Members - Leader board, Online Users, Staff, Site Support

7. Other - Off Topic

So the proposed Main Menu structure could be:

1. What's New

2. Forums

3. Clubs

4. Blogs

5. Events

6. Media - with sub sections of Gallery, Videos, Articles, Aviation News

7. Resources - with sub sections of Downloads, Maps, Links, Tutorials, Tools and Calculators

8. Reference - with sub sections of Aircraft, On This Day, Famous People, plus any other reference items

9. Commerce - with sub sections of Classifieds, Suppliers, Pilot Shop, Product Reviews

10. Members - with sub sections of Leader board, Online Users, Staff, Site Support (as it is now)

11. Off Topic

On a screen resolution of 1024 x 768 we have room for a total of 15 items on the main menu so with the above 11 that would give us some room to move for the future. Remember with this software, unlike Xenforo, we have the fantastic ability to create any new section we would want.

What do you think? Is there anything else you want the site to provide you, aviation quizzes, member competitions, Chat Room etc...PLEASE TELL ME?

The only problem I see is that on my laptop, with resolution anywhere between 60% and 140%, part of the menu is covered - see image. The menu box needs to be widened slightly. After 140% the menu disappears altogether.

1015588853_menustructure.JPG.355f551bf5ce022533509b6f931f91c1.JPG       Screen snip at 100% resolution.

• Helpful 1

I can't really put my finger on it, but the Xenforo page layout was better. Maybe a wider margin, and slightly different colours, and a slightly different menu layout - but I think the Xenforo layout, fonts, and colours, were superior.

• Helpful 1

Hi All

Well the site rebuild is going absolutely fantastic and whilst I can't speak for everyone I am not experiencing any performance issues and I still have some ideas to increase the performance even more.

The site is building and whilst all the quick things have already been added there is still a lot more to come which will be a bit slower however as sections are added we will run out of room on the Main Menu so I have come up with a proposed structure that I would like to get your comments on, it is based on overall site components of:

1. Social - What's New, Forums, Clubs, Blogs, Events

2. Media - Gallery, Videos, Articles, Aviation News

3. Resources - Downloads, Maps, Links, Tutorials, Tools and Calculators

4. Reference - Aircraft, On This Day, Famous People, plus any other reference items

5. Commerce - Classifieds, Suppliers, Pilot Shop, Product Reviews

6. Members - Leader board, Online Users, Staff, Site Support

7. Other - Off Topic

So the proposed Main Menu structure could be:

1. What's New

2. Forums

3. Clubs

4. Blogs

5. Events

6. Media - with sub sections of Gallery, Videos, Articles, Aviation News

7. Resources - with sub sections of Downloads, Maps, Links, Tutorials, Tools and Calculators

8. Reference - with sub sections of Aircraft, On This Day, Famous People, plus any other reference items

9. Commerce - with sub sections of Classifieds, Suppliers, Pilot Shop, Product Reviews

10. Members - with sub sections of Leader board, Online Users, Staff, Site Support (as it is now)

11. Off Topic

On a screen resolution of 1024 x 768 we have room for a total of 15 items on the main menu so with the above 11 that would give us some room to move for the future. Remember with this software, unlike Xenforo, we have the fantastic ability to create any new section we would want.

What do you think? Is there anything else you want the site to provide you, aviation quizzes, member competitions, Chat Room etc...PLEASE TELL ME?

The layout suggested seems pretty good to me.

• Helpful 1

With the colour picker and reset icons on the left menu, items below are pushed off my screen so that Classifieds is the last one displayed. There is no scroll bar to allow me to scroll down.

Yes, I am aware of that as I can't even access it all as well. I am considering alternatives at the moment. Perhaps the right hand end of the sub menu @Ahmed Zayed although it is perfect on the mobile view. Plus the z-index score of the color picker isn't high enough to cover the main menu

I'm also aware of the long menu case, the solution is to implement the vertical scroller but I don't really want a page with 2 vertical horizontal scrollers...

The alternative that Ian have will be better.

And regarding this one,

Plus the z-index score of the color picker isn't high enough to cover the main menu

It should be now fixed.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ian, something has changed overnight, whereby, when I click on "what's new", all I get is a line of classified ads.

I can no longer bring up a list of "what's new" as regards forum discussions. Is there some change to the menu that I should know about, that can easily bring up additions to recent discussions?

Yes, the site is currently being migrated to a new server and the Search function has to be re-indexed to find all the new posts again...should only be a little while now, in fact you are now seeing the site on a Server located in France and there is very little impact for us in Australia but a massive performance improvement to potential International users

1.thumb.jpg.b74881116a351e972e82d63a74770cd1.jpg

• Informative 1

Has What's Up been taken down while you transfer it to IPS or the new server. When I click on the Off Topic link on this site I get a 404 URL not found error.

P.S.

Sorry, looking at a number of threads, posted on the wrong one.

Yes, the Off Topic site is currently being worked on...first it had to be migrated to IPS (now done) and next is to move it to the new Australian server.

Clear Prop has already been done and it is performing so FAST now it is incredible so now the work begins in making Whats Up Australia a comprehensive site on everything in Australia for all Australians to post and discuss anything