Sliding Window Vent

DGL Fox

The small vent flap on the passenger side of the canopy (tinted not clear) has broken and I am finding it very difficult to find one at a reasonable price, would anyone have any ideas where I could get one from apart from Europe, maybe someone building an aircraft has one left over or someone is wrecking a SportStar, any help here would be appreciated.

David

d30206b6d7.png.347b0773046d71f2ba08e9944b40949d.png

I think that what you have is a mecaplex vent. They are pretty standard on most glider canopies. They are expensive.The companies website is here:

http://www.mecaplex.ch/default.asp?l=en

But this US website lists parts...

http://wingsandwheels.com/aircraft-parts/canopies.html

Thanks Nobody, I had a close look at the picture, it looks very similar but I don't think it is that same, it seems to have a through bolt where mine has 2 small screws 1 top and 1 bottom and yes they are expensive that's for sure, I really don't understand why ???

David

Could you get one made up from a plastic moulding business?

Robbo yes that thought crossed my mind, I have the pilot side one I could use as a template but I don't know any company here that I could contact? I wonder about the price to run a one off...

David

Robbo yes that thought crossed my mind, I have the pilot side one I could use as a template but I don't know any company here that I could contact? I wonder about the price to run a one off...David

Maybe try these guys?

http://www.aircraftplastics.com.au

http://www.aerospaceplastic.com.au

http://www.aeroplastics.com.au

David let us know if you manage to source these at a reasonable price. Like yours my Sportstar is in use in a school and these vents seem to be a weakness and get broken. No-one will ever look after your aircraft like you would yourself.

David let us know if you manage to source these at a reasonable price. Like yours my Sportstar is in use in a school and these vents seem to be a weakness and get broken. No-one will ever look after your aircraft like you would yourself.

Hi Mike,

Yes they are weakness, although the pilots side is ok but the passenger side was broken and then I repaired it and now broken again...guess who the heavy handed person that sits in that seat???? I have told him...please side the window open first before attempting to open the flap...now you think the ha hum.. instructor would realize you need to do this first...now not pointing the finger mind you but hey...if I can find one and I replace it I am going to fit a warning sticker above the sliding window so then there are no excuses..."OPEN THE BLOODY WINDOW FIRST BEFORE OPENING THE FLAP VENT"

The cheapest genuine one I have found is for around $240 just for the little flap....must be made of gold Mike...

I will keep you informed if I find anything cheaper....

David

Guest Howard Hughes
yes they are expensive that's for sure, I really don't understand why ???

If it's attached to an aircraft, you always add two zeros! The perspex sunvisor on an aircraft I used to fly was $3000, engineers had one made up at local perspex place for $30, the tinting never was as good as the original, but I'm not sure it was worth the extra $2970! 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

I replaced the one on passenger side with one without the pop out part - just a straight slide.

The pop out part is just too complicated for passengers.

• Haha 1

I replaced the one on passenger side with one without the pop out part - just a straight slide.The pop out part is just too complicated for passengers.

Yes OzJohn I was going to glue the flap back in permanently but when it broke off again it must fell off to the outside and never to been seen again so I really don't even have the flap to glue back in sorry to say.... 049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif

David

Yes OzJohn I was going to glue the flap back in permanently but when it broke off again it must fell off to the outside and never to been seen again so I really don't even have the flap to glue back in sorry to say.... 049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gifDavid

Hi David have a look on the GFA (Gliding Federation Australia) webb site they have a list of approved repairers. Phone around and one of them may have a solution / supply or fix.

Cheers

Mike

• Agree 1

Hi David have a look on the GFA (Gliding Federation Australia) webb site they have a list of approved repairers. Phone around and one of them may have a solution / supply or fix.Cheers

Mike

Yes thanks Mike, Just called a guy called Joe, he has them but he won't separate the small flap from the whole window vent unfortunately although I can understand that, he wants $500 for the whole thing but I don't need the whole window vent, I also talked to Garry Morgan but he makes his own so no good there, anyway I will keep looking.

David

• Caution 1

Yes thanks Mike, Just called a guy called Joe, he has them but he won't separate the small flap from the whole window vent unfortunately although I can understand that, he wants $500 for the whole thing but I don't need the whole window vent, I also talked to Garry Morgan but he makes his own so no good there, anyway I will keep looking.David

Hi David

Can't promise anything but I may have a similar slide salvaged in my collection of treasures (wife says its all rubbish) that may suit what your chasing.

I know its a rectangular opening one and also have the two perspex slide rails; but don't remember if its still got the little opening. I recall it was intact. When I get back ashore Friday night. I'll dig it out and let you know.

If its suitable you can have the part FOC.

Cheers Mike

Hi DavidCan't promise anything but I may have a similar slide salvaged in my collection of treasures (wife says its all rubbish) that may suit what your chasing.

I know its a rectangular opening one and also have the two perspex slide rails; but don't remember if its still got the little opening. I recall it was intact. When I get back ashore Friday night. I'll dig it out and let you know.

If its suitable you can have the part FOC.

Cheers Mike

Fantastic Mike, lets hope it is the right one, thanks mate.

David

Have you thought of making your own?

Very difficult Geoff as the canopy has a curve in it and the little flap I am looking for has rebated edges and a very slight curve, I just wouldn't have the tools for make it and after talking to Garry Morgan this afternoon and listening to what he had to do to make his I think it would be to much for me to make...

David

• Informative 1

Fantastic Mike, lets hope it is the right one, thanks mate.David

Very difficult Geoff as the canopy has a curve in it and the little flap I am looking for has rebated edges and a very slight curve, I just wouldn't have the tools for make it and after talking to Garry Morgan this afternoon and listening to what he had to do to make his I think it would be to much for me to make...

David

Hi David

The one I have has no small vent flap. Must be an older type and is from a glider canopy.

Regards

Mike

Hi DavidThe one I have has no small vent flap. Must be an older type and is from a glider canopy.

Regards

Mike

Ok thanks Mike for letting me know, I will keep looking...

David