So who can beat the dual training costs in Qld RAA $310 hour - Sling 2

SSCBD

I fell over backwards seeing these numbers from a RAA flying, for students learning to fly.

Sling 2 – $310/hr Dual Instruction - And apparently no private hire for the aircraft.

Eurofox 3K – $295/hr Dual

However These Rates include:– Pre-flight and Post flight - REALLY!

The Eurofox 3K – $205/hr private hire

Its making GA sound inviting as I can hire a 4 seat Cessna 172 for $240 hour wet or a Cessna 150 for less than $200

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 1

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While it sounds like the post is more aimed at sensationalising the amount flying costs (and I dont disagree), for informations sake our school has our Sling 2 at $295/hr dual and $195/hr private hire at Redcliffe.

GA planes available at comparable costs too.

• Caution 1

Well since we don't all have a wife that can pay for it some people have to pay the real world costs to people who actually want to make some money from aviation, and I can't think of many places that are much cheaper than either of those places in the Brisbane area.

Well since we don't all have a wife that can pay for it some people have to pay the real world costs to people who actually want to make some money from aviation, and I can't think of many places that are much cheaper than either of those places in the Brisbane area.

You don't need to look very hard to find better rates than that in the Brisbane area.

There are several schools that are lower priced.

When I read the rates in the OP my jaw nearly hit the floor.

I guess I am lucky I flew 2.5 hours today for 30 litres of fuel @ $1.47 per litre.

Even allowing for all the other costs it was still less than $100.00 per hour.

• Agree 1

Does everybody realise that there isn't anything horrible about flying GA? A 40 year old Cessna actually can be a lot of fun despite what a lot of people on here think with their GA allergy. As for the cheaper rates that supposedly exist, perhaps post them on here as per what the original poster requested rather than say you don't have to look too far?

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

I'm not trying to stick up for any one school or another, but from my own search within an hour of Brisbane is inevitably around the same price as is what is mentioned above. Anything cheaper seems to be in a completely different aircraft class to things like the Sling or Eurofox (i.e significantly lower performing.)

Horses for courses really, if you want closer to Brisbane expect the prices to be higher or to have to drive to a further out location for cheaper rates. Theres not actually much profit in running these aircraft at flying schools, you would be surprised how much actually goes to running costs and overheads (which naturally are significantly higher closer to the city).

• Like 1

Sure. We will just blindly pretend the jabiru engine doesn't actually have a reliability issue then it might just disappear. Put it this way, if even my non aviation friends know jabiru have an issue then it's probably an actual problem, not an imaginary issue.

• Agree 1

I'm not trying to stick up for any one school or another, but from my own search within an hour of Brisbane is inevitably around the same price as is what is mentioned above. Anything cheaper seems to be in a completely different aircraft class to things like the Sling or Eurofox (i.e significantly lower performing.)Horses for courses really, if you want closer to Brisbane expect the prices to be higher or to have to drive to a further out location for cheaper rates. Theres not actually much profit in running these aircraft at flying schools, you would be surprised how much actually goes to running costs and overheads (which naturally are significantly higher closer to the city).

I think that that high cost of acquiring these aircraft is the problem. I'm quite sure that there wouldn't be much profit.

Does everybody realise that there isn't anything horrible about flying GA? A 40 year old Cessna actually can be a lot of fun despite what a lot of people on here think with their GA allergy. As for the cheaper rates that supposedly exist, perhaps post them on here as per what the original poster requested rather than say you don't have to look too far?

I don't think that we hate GA, it's that rec flying was supposed to be more economical than GA, but we just seem to have re-invented it.

If I were to get my LAME ticket (AME already), and you could easily derig a Cessna or Piper, I'd get my GA licence, and buy one, because considering what even second hand RA aircraft are selling for, they're good value.

• Winner 1

Ian why would you suggest non aviation friends know anything of consequence about Jabiru engines?. All they know would be from the papers and what a poor source that is. it's like saying my barber told me to buy Poseidon shares. Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 8

Those charging $310 an hour for any recreational trainer are definitely running high margins.

ProSky Maryborough are $230 per hour dual for a Tecnam Sierra or Evektor Sportstar. Wet hire I have not checked recently but last I did it was $145 per hour.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Different planes... Australian Lightwing GR912t though Coominya Flight Training is circa $155hr and $60/hr ground training time (both plus GST).

Hire is $135 plus GST.

Prices were current six months ago.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Different planes... Australian Lightwing GR912t though Coominya Flight Training is circa $155hr and $60/hr ground training time (both plus GST).Hire is $135 plus GST.

Prices were current six months ago.

I am training in a Tecnam P92 Eaglet @ YRED

Dual Hire (wet) $ 275 / hr incl, not sure on Private Hire Rates

Those charging $310 an hour for any recreational trainer are definitely running high margins.ProSky Maryborough are $230 per hour dual for a Tecnam Sierra or Evektor Sportstar. Wet hire I have not checked recently but last I did it was $145 per hour.

There is a massive difference between running an aircraft at YMYB and running one at YBAF.

There is a real simple test which includes reliability, because lack of reliability comes down to expensive things like repairs and downtime.

Yep, its the hire-out price.

On this measure the jabiru is twice as good overall, reliability included.

• Like 1

If I was to learn again I'd take a two week holiday somewhere out in the sticks that has a good plane with cheap rates. If the person is going to continue flying after that then have some lessons in the area where you want to hire and fly that is probably subject to quite a lot of traffic I imagine in some circumstances.

• Agree 3

There is a massive difference between running an aircraft at YMYB and running one at YBAF.

$80 per hour is a big difference. A lower hourly rate might attract more hours and cover higher fixed costs that way.

I have seen it before where on the same airfield, a based school were charging $285 per hour for a Jab 170. Another school flew in for 2 days a week, charging $230 per hour in a Sportstar. The based school barely did any flying and wasn't making money but the fly in operation was always busy & did well. Just to clarify the fly in operation was full time operation, just based elsewhere.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

I've done almost all my flying down in Boonah where it's $230/hour dual for a tecnam golf or $240 (I think) for a p2008 if you want something comfier. They also have a new Aeronca Chief which is similarly priced for taildragger learning. Private hire at $175 for the golf seems pretty reasonable. Plus the area down there is awesome to fly in. It's an hour from Brisbane and a nice drive. I visited another school at Redcliffe but wasn't impressed with their attitude so didn't go back.

I'd be happy to fly GA one day if the medical becomes easier...but that's another story.

• Like 1